Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo on "Australian Punts"

7,092 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Harry Dunne
SEC Champs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In typical fashion, Jimbo was teaching us about how the game is played during the post-game presser. He said the following about the kicking game, which I had never heard of before…
Quote:

Well, punts are different now. The way these punters hit the high punts, you hit that punt and that ball, the way they deaden them now, like wedged, those Australian kicks, they'll deaden them things and they'll go at the 1. So if nobody is around you, we give (Aninias) free light to catch it. And even if we fair-catch balls, the old rules, you never went inside the 10, because guys couldn't hit those Australian punts. Those balls deaden like a dadgum golf shot. And if you don't field some of those balls, even those guys around you, 6, 7, 8, 9-yard line, we'll fair-catch them so you don't end up at the 1-yard line. The game has changed in that regard because of how good the kickers and punters have become.
Aston04
AG
Attention to detail.
StinkyPinky
AG
G'day
BusterAg
AG
SEC Champs said:

In typical fashion, Jimbo was teaching us about how the game is played during the post-game presser. He said the following about the kicking game, which I had never heard of before…
Quote:

Well, punts are different now. The way these punters hit the high punts, you hit that punt and that ball, the way they deaden them now, like wedged, those Australian kicks, they'll deaden them things and they'll go at the 1. So if nobody is around you, we give (Aninias) free light to catch it. And even if we fair-catch balls, the old rules, you never went inside the 10, because guys couldn't hit those Australian punts. Those balls deaden like a dadgum golf shot. And if you don't field some of those balls, even those guys around you, 6, 7, 8, 9-yard line, we'll fair-catch them so you don't end up at the 1-yard line. The game has changed in that regard because of how good the kickers and punters have become.

Nothing was more fun on special teams than to watch Lechler put the draw on those spiral punts that would bounce backwards towards the 3yrd line after landing at the 1 yard line.

Looked like Jack Nicklaus with a Cleveland Wedge.

Good times.
bigblackag12
AG
Not to many things in football that are more sexy than a perfect punt
TexAg15
AG
How far are we away from there just not being any American punters at big programs?
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
bert harbinson
AG
dadgum Aussies!
ABATTBQ11
AG

Oh wait.. OP said Australian PUNTS... My bad...
AG
Every time Constantinou kicks the ball, the entire stadium should yell, "Oy!"
UTExan
The punt should be a potential offensive weapon, not a way to turn over the ball gracefully. That's what Aussie punters do.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
cevans_40
AG
So stubborn
Nick Toohey
AG
Oi*
JROD9398
And before punts maybe the DJ should play "TNT"....
Jason C.
AG
"That's not a punt. No, THIS is a punt."

//punts in Australian//
Sq 17
UTExan said:

The punt should be a potential offensive weapon, not a way to turn over the ball gracefully. That's what Aussie punters do.

The Punt is the first play of the defensive series iirc that is what RC used to say
Seanzy2012
AG
Give me an old fashioned mile high on the 10 any day.
Divining Rod
TexAg15 said:

How far are we away from there just not being any American punters at big programs?

Actually, we're closer to there being no more Australian punters, as the American punters will just pick up their techniques.

Like kickers in the early 70's- saw a few foreign soccer guys start kicking "soccer style" and they were all the rage. In a very short time, almost all young american kickers started kicking soccer style. I guarantee you there are thousands and thousands of young Americans being taught or figuring out the "Australian techniques" as we speak... Enjoy the Aussie flavor while you have it.
Tobias Funke
AG
cevans_40 said:

So stubborn

So old
dixichkn
AG
The evolution of punt returning is amazing. Our old coach used to tell us when we were backed up and about to return a punt " you put your foot on the 10 yard line and if I see you take one step backward, you're never returning a punt again"

I still hear his voice every time I see one of these dudes fielding a kick at the 2 yard line
Divining Rod
thing that AMAZES me all the time. with coaches being paid millions per year, still do this stupid thing:

say there's less than a minute or so in the half, or the game, and you have absolutely NO PLAN to run another series other than taking a knee or running
out the clock, and they'll send someone back to field the punt. Sure, the odds of a muff, or losing ball on a tackle are slim, but they could have HUGE consequences- there's almost zero Reward-to-risk.

Finally starting to see this change a bit more- Saban in his last game called for them not to field it.
Bird Poo
AG
BusterAg said:

Nothing was more fun on special teams than to watch Lechler THUNDER FOOT put the draw on those spiral punts that would bounce backwards towards the 3yrd line after landing at the 1 yard line.

Looked like Jack Nicklaus with a Cleveland Wedge.

Good times.
FIFY
TexAg15
AG
Divining Rod said:

TexAg15 said:

Actually, we're closer to there being no more Australian punters, as the American punters will just pick up their techniques.

Like kickers in the early 70's- saw a few foreign soccer guys start kicking "soccer style" and they were all the rage. In a very short time, almost all young american kickers started kicking soccer style. I guarantee you there are thousands and thousands of young Americans being taught or figuring out the "Australian techniques" as we speak... Enjoy the Aussie flavor while you have it.

But, are kids are learning that in high school. Their sport is literally a series a punts and confusing rucks. Nic's been dropping those bombs since he was an infant.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
Divining Rod
sounds like you're asking if HS kids are talented as Nic!
Here's the roadmap for you: The US has literally tens
of thiusands of future football punters, all with dreams of schollies and the big bucks in the NFL and a thousand more punting coaches(good and bad) ready to charge for that potential.

Like most things in this world,sheer American numbers and wealth will dominate if the end is valued enough.

Young Americans arent going to sit around going "gee, I wish I was Australian so I could punt like that guy".

p.s. it's just a matter of time (if not already) that the best Aussie punting coaches figure out the wealth to be had by moving their operation to theU.S. where there is 1,000x the number of potential clients and $ to pay for it. Kinda like the British soccer coaches in women's soccer.

StinkyPinky
AG
Divining Rod said:

of thiusands of future football punters, all with dreams of schollies and the big bucks in the NFL and a thousand more punting coaches(good and bad) ready to charge for that potential.

Like most things in this world,sheer American numbers and wealth will dominate if the end is valued enough.

Young Americans arent going to sit around going "gee, I wish I was Australian so I could punt like that guy".

p.s. it's just a matter of time (if not already) that the best Aussie punting coaches figure out the wealth to be had by moving their operation to theU.S. where there is 1,000x the number of potential clients and $ to pay for it. Kinda like the British soccer coaches in women's soccer.

The Australians aren't good at punting because of 'punting coaches', they're good at it because they've grown up playing Australian rules football which kicking the football is the biggest part of the game. Not only do they develop insane leg strength, but have the coordination to do it on the run and with acute accuracy (kicking it to specific players down the field with an accuracy much like a QB throwing to receivers. They have a whole country of kids playing the sport (most popular sport in the country), which well outnumber the kids in the US focused on 'punting', and also a much more rigorous effort because it's 80% of the game.
Divining Rod
^ interesting point, althoiugh note in article about Nic about how they DONT want him kicking on the run- the struggle he had to learn to kick two-step. And no doubt they have strong legs, but that isn't what's driving it- it's technique- NOT distance.

It's the ability to drop it in (location) and make it stay. That's TECHNIQUE, and that's where the Australian value is unique. Of course, Nic has BOTH.

Oh, and yes I agree the Aussies have a big advantage right now in experience (doing it for several years, while a lot of Americans start punting when they cant do anything else) Long term though, I see a LOT more Americans gravitating toward punting at an early age- kind of like our kicking population.
StinkyPinky
AG
Divining Rod said:

^ interesting point, althoiugh note in article about Nic about how they DONT want him kicking on the run- the struggle he had to learn to kick two-step. And no doubt they have strong legs, but that isn't what's driving it- it's technique- NOT distance.

It's the ability to drop it in (location) and make it stay. That's TECHNIQUE, and that's where the Australian value is unique. Of course, Nic has BOTH.

Oh, and yes I agree the Aussies have a big advantage right now in experience (doing it for several years, while a lot of Americans start punting when they cant do anything else) Long term though, I see a LOT more Americans gravitating toward punting at an early age- kind of like our kicking population.

And not to mention who wouldn't want to be a punter right? Probably the least stressful position that is probably more attainable for the average athlete and make a good penny doing it.
Divining Rod
Exactly! career longevity, and not playing the "what have you done for me lately?" game that kickers go through almost every week. Shank one or two, and nobody really complains as long as you get back on track.

Kern from Titans is the most amazing- started following him after Tannehill switched there. The guy almost never misses a great punt- his location is incredible. I believe he's a perennial All Pro. Heck, maybe he's Australian!
bigblackag12
AG
Divining Rod said:

This happens if/when we start playing aussie rules football like we do American football. Otherwise they're just gonna always be better at punting since it is a major part of their version.
Divining Rod
Frankly, I hope you're right as it's kinda cool. But history says otherwise.

This would actually be an interesting thread to bookmark in 10 or 15 years and see where college football is in that area.
bigblackag12
AG
Would be a pretty obscure bump but i like the idea
StinkyPinky
AG
And there will always be the the Aussie Rules footballer looking to cross over to American Football (what the Aussie's call Gridiron) due to the immense earning potential. An average player player make $350k, with top players only doubling that. A bit inequitable when your top players can make more money in the NFL as one of the lowest paid skill positions.
Sparkie
AG
Get a guy with good ankles and eats subway.

Have him kick this **** out of the ball. Watch it go fast thru many holes.
StinkyPinky
AG
Sparkie said:

Get a guy with good ankles and eats subway.

Have him kick this **** out of the ball. Watch it go fast thru many holes.

Just don't let him around children
Harry Dunne
bigblackag12 said:

Not to many things in football that are more sexy than a perfect punt
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.