Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

LSU Coaching Search

49,132 Views | 316 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by twk
HoustonAg2106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Matt Moscona (LSU's Billy Liucci) reported that LSU is willing to offer a deal worth more than Jimbo's current contract if that's what it takes to get who they want. Woodward basically has a blank check to get who he believes is the right guy for the job (it's also being reported that the decision is 100% Woodward's on who to hire). James Franklin and Mel Tucker are the favorites according to Moscona right now.
Cloud
Ok
hunter2012
AG
Rebel Yell
AG
I don't think LSU has that kind of money. They were in serious financial troubles just a couple years ago.

This seems like fan talk.
KatyAggie01
Yea. No. The buildings on their main campus are crumbling. The LSU satellite campuses need a ton of work. Their state budget is a mess. No way they can or should pony up 100 million for a 10 year contract. But it's LSU so who knows. Corn dogs before education.

On a side note my nephew who is a high school drop out with a GED was accepted to LSU on his first try. Amazing.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Rebel Yell said:

I don't think LSU has that kind of money. They were in serious financial troubles just a couple years ago.

Coach O was making $9 million a year and they just paid over $25 million to buyout him and his coaching staff....they will have no problem paying that much or more for the right coach.

Pretty silly to think a program like LSU can't afford a coach. They have rich boosters just like everyone in the SEC.
nu awlins ag
AG
What's the date on the check though, 1/1/30?
tk111
AG
Rebel Yell said:

I assume they are just following the fed's example. Who needs real money?
TXAG 05
AG
Rebel Yell said:

The school wouldn't pay his salary. The big cigars throw their money together and write a check, just like we did for Jimbo
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Didn't the LSU prez state the hire would need to be a non-white person? Seems that would rule out Jimbo, nevermind that Jimbo and his wife both shot it down.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Rebel Yell said:

The university, yes, but the football program is doing fine. Their BMD's wild target have a minor league football program than functioning university.

We have both.
Madman
AG
Corruption runs deeper in Louisiana than it does in most states.

Just remember that when you say the money isn't there.
whytho987654
Louisiana is a dump of a state
Unemployed
AG
Reggiesankles said:

Yea. No. The buildings on their main campus are crumbling. The LSU satellite campuses need a ton of work. Their state budget is a mess. No way they can or should pony up 100 million for a 10 year contract. But it's LSU so who knows. Corn dogs before education.

On a side note my nephew who is a high school drop out with a GED was accepted to LSU on his first try. Amazing.
You have to think that they have already come up with the funds to pay a new coach in the $8-10MM per year range plus the $17MM to buy out Orgeron.

You don't fire Orgeron just to hire a Shane Beamer and pay him less than the Women's Basketball coach.
agent-maroon
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Matt Moscona (LSU's Billy Liucci) reported that LSU is willing to offer a deal worth more than Jimbo's current contract if that's what it takes to get who they want. Woodward basically has a blank check to get who he believes is the right guy for the job (it's also being reported that the decision is 100% Woodward's on who to hire). James Franklin and Mel Tucker are the favorites according to Moscona right now.
Blank check to get anybody he thinks is the "right guy" and the two leading candidates are Franklin and Tucker?

Something isn't adding up here...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
greg.w.h
AG
agent-maroon said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Blank check to get anybody he thinks is the "right guy" and the two leading candidates are Franklin and Tucker?

There you go using logic again…it's LSU. They are their own reality distortion field…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

There you got using logic again
Thank you for the correction. It's a personal flaw that I deal with constantly
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NyAggie
AG
They can have Franklin or tucker; good coaches but not guys that we would need to worry about
Traveler
AG
Reggiesankles said:

I don't think the people who will be paying the FB coach's salary give two flying ****s about LSU's academic buildings ...
JW
AG
Oil is up
Corn Pop
It's got to be Tucker. Franklin is from Pennsylvania. Unless he's on the hot seat, which I don't think he is I doubt LSU is pulling him away from home.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Corn Pop said:

It's got to be Tucker. Franklin is from Pennsylvania. Unless he's on the hot seat, which I don't think he is I doubt LSU is pulling him away from home.
LSU can double his salary and give him a top level job in the SEC...it's definitely possible.

Lane Kiffin is up there too.
Bill Superman
AG
LSU is officially behind Bama, us and Auburn for the foreseeable future with this coaching search.

Lsu and sip can share each other's dirty bath water over the next couple carousels.
WorkTogetherAgs
AG
I could see ESPN providing LSU money under the table in an all-out effort to get Jimbo out of Aggieland.
Anchorhold
HoustonAg2106 said:

Matt Moscona (LSU's Billy Liucci)

Are you sure you didn't mean sip version of chip?

Spurswin5
Rebel Yell said:

There are some plaintiffs' attorneys in South Louisiana worth over 100M each. I'm sure they can chip in a little more than before to get to $10M/year
HoustonAg2106
AG
Spurswin5 said:

Rebel Yell said:

There are some plaintiffs' attorneys in South Louisiana worth over 100M each. I'm sure they can chip in a little more than before to get to $10M/year
Money is not an issue for LSU when it comes to football (academics is a completely different story). Luckily money is not an issue for A&M either so if they do in fact offer Jimbo a pay raise we will just match or come back in over that offer.
Bag
AG
Rebel Yell said:

dont confuse school AD and big money donors

they absolutely have the money
rootube
AG
They don't have a blank check. What they have is the willingness and ability to pay someone a top five salary if required. They have the money. Should they spend it on a coach is a different discussion that applies to everyone including us.
HoustonAg2106
AG
rootube said:

They don't have a blank check. What they have is the willingness and ability to pay someone a top five salary if required. They have the money. Should they spend it on a coach is a different discussion that applies to everyone including us.
These coaching salaries at big time programs are paid for by big donors, it's not like they take the money from the academic budgets. It's money that is either going go to football or nothing at all so why not use it to get a top level coach?
hunter2012
AG
agent-maroon said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

missing info is that the President is a cajun Michael Young that is on record that he wants a minority head coach.
evestor1
Bunch of lolpoors on this thread.

There is always money to be paid if approached as a value added deal.

We could pay Jimbo 2x current salary if the folks in charge believed it to be worth it. Same for any large program.
JustisWalkert
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Didn't the LSU prez state the hire would need to be a non-white person? Seems that would rule out Jimbo, nevermind that Jimbo and his wife both shot it down.
I know one that fits the bill. He once beat Alabama and coached a Heisman Trophy quarterback. And he's currently available!
HoustonAg2106
AG
hunter2012 said:

agent-maroon said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

missing info is that the President is a cajun Michael Young that is on record that he wants a minority head coach.
That might be his preference, but it is not a requirement. LSU intentionally leaked to the local media late last week that this hire is 100% Woodwards decision. He can hire whoever he thinks is the right coach for the job, they have a lot of trust in him (as they should).
aTmAg
AG
It appears LSU didn't have a coach lined up before pulling the trigger on O. That is a dangerous proposition. That level of arrogance may push them down the same path as tu. I'm convinced that if tu let Mack retire on his own after breaking Royal's record, then there would have been several top tier coaches willing to coach there. Instead, they screwed over Mack and now nobody with self respect wants to subject themselves to that.

Despite him being a bad coach, LSU canning coach O 2 years after winning the NC may put them in the same boat. Why would top names like Jimbo, Dabo, etc. ever want to subject themselves to that? They are loved where they are.

The more names I hear getting thrown out, the more I think LSU may have screwed themselves. If they had somebody lined up then I think the would be hearing nothing right now. LSU would not need to contact anybody else, and that coach would ask them to wait until after the season to announce anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.