Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bowlsby further comments on tu, 0u, BDF

10,579 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Midnight Yale
APHIS AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jarrin' Jay said:

Bowlsby is not an idiot, he is just trying to save face after being back-stabbed by cow and OU, and also doing his job as commish of the Big 12. They have done a decent job back-filling with the expansion. The best thing is that they are 100% committed to making cow and Zero U stay in the Big 12 through June 2025. They still get to collect the ~ $70 mill. exit fee for each and keep them for 3 more football seasons, win-win for the Big 12, lose-lose for cow, not as much for OU but still a negative.

Now, everything in life is negotiable, my guess is cow and OU will be in the SEC in 2024, as at some point the Big 12 will be ready to accept a negotiated buyout #, but I don't think it will be any earlier than that, otherwise the buyout # will be so big that cow and OU couldn't afford it.
Also, now he has to really "negotiate" with the TV execs since the BDF "cash cows" have now departed, leaving the BDF in Conference USA status.
greg.w.h
AG
APHIS AG said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

Bowlsby is not an idiot, he is just trying to save face after being back-stabbed by cow and OU, and also doing his job as commish of the Big 12. They have done a decent job back-filling with the expansion. The best thing is that they are 100% committed to making cow and Zero U stay in the Big 12 through June 2025. They still get to collect the ~ $70 mill. exit fee for each and keep them for 3 more football seasons, win-win for the Big 12, lose-lose for cow, not as much for OU but still a negative.

Now, everything in life is negotiable, my guess is cow and OU will be in the SEC in 2024, as at some point the Big 12 will be ready to accept a negotiated buyout #, but I don't think it will be any earlier than that, otherwise the buyout # will be so big that cow and OU couldn't afford it.
Also, now he has to really "negotiate" with the TV execs since the BDF "cash cows" have now departed, leaving the BDF in Conference USA status.
Nah. The remaining eight did invest expecting this day tge extra tier 1 and 2 revenue Texas and OU agreed to distribute due to our complaints and to try and get us to stay. All eight are above the worst four to six in ACC, Big Ten, and Pac-12.

The additions were best available though whether they can get above $40 million per school is iffy. Real question is how they deal with nationwide tier 3. Looks like each school takes care of their own…

Kansas of course is an exception. But they make it up in basketball and have a better league now even accounting for OU and Texas leaving. And they have made investments to make football better.
Turf96
TexAg15 said:

OU and sips were going to go somewhere eventually. It's in our best interest that it is in our conference.

You have no clue what you are saying. This is like saying cancer has to infect somebody may as well be me. Texas is the most arrogant average program in history next to Michigan and Notre Dame. Texas has had 2 good stints DKR and Mack butter tooth Brown. Other than that they are pretty average propped up with false hype and politics. Being with them in a conference is like going through chemo, you are still living but it sure as heck is going to be painful.

Can't you see the Heismen is being won already by the media to try and prop up their average coaching? Just another smoke and mirrors add campaign. Sure kid is good player but clear cut best player in nation please.
The Collective
AG
Not sure what he is supposed to say, but this thought process is laughable. Your negotiation wasn't going to go well, Bob.

Quote:

Bowlsby also pushed back assertions that ESPN's decision not to renegotiate the Big 12's current media rights contract led to the decision by Texas and Oklahoma. That story was broken by the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal in May. Bowlsby told CBS Sports at the time that such requests are made frequently, and it wasn't necessarily a concern that ESPN rejected the conference's overtures to renegotiate before their deal expires in 2025.

"That's what's so silly," Bowlsby said. "… It's [ESPN's] prerogative to say they think it's too early to start negotiating. They didn't say they didn't want to be our partner. They didn't say our value was going to go down. They didn't say anything derogatory about it at all."
Womackster
AG
Turf96 said:

TexAg15 said:

OU and sips were going to go somewhere eventually. It's in our best interest that it is in our conference.

You have no clue what you are saying. This is like saying cancer has to infect somebody may as well be me. Texas is the most arrogant average program in history next to Michigan and Notre Dame. Texas has had 2 good stints DKR and Mack butter tooth Brown. Other than that they are pretty average propped up with false hype and politics. Being with them in a conference is like going through chemo, you are still living but it sure as heck is going to be painful.

Can't you see the Heismen is being won already by the media to try and prop up their average coaching? Just another smoke and mirrors add campaign. Sure kid is good player but clear cut best player in nation please.

Umm...

Texas, Michigan, and Notre Dame are all in the top 5 programs with most win and the top 6 highest win percentage of teams with over 600 wins.

We're somewhere in the 20s for most wins and in the 40s for highest winning percentage.

So...

njohn87
AG
TXAG 05 said:

twk said:

Bowlsby is an idiot. Anyone can understand why the sips and sooners decided to leave the Big XII. But, what I don't understand, is how certain SEC schools were so easily persuaded that this was a good deal for them. The reason I say this is because it sets the wheels in motion for continued consolidation of big time college sports, and in that environment, where you may have only 40 teams competing in some kind of NCAA replacement, there's no guarantee that there's a seat at the table for all current SEC members.

Once the Big XII is no longer a "Power 5" league, we'll have gone from 65 big time programs (Power 5 + Notre Dame) to 57 (the remaining 8 Big XII teams falling down to the G5 tier). The culling of the herd likely won't stop at 57.

That's bad for the sport, because teams sports are not like other businesses. In a normal business, you want to grab market share, which inevitably results in some of your competitors going out of business. In sports, competition IS the business, and having fewer competitors is not a plus. Fans of the teams that get kicked to the curb will not necessarily transfer their allegiance to programs that make the cut. The result is that the pie will get smaller.

I don't see the Big12 losing power conference status. If the PAC and ACC are power conferences, there is no reason why the new Big12 won't be either.
Money-wise, the Big 12 will be a couple of steps behind the PAC-12 and ACC, but it's still going to be miles ahead of the rest of the G5, especially with the AAC turning itself in to C-USA II after losing its best three programs.

Where that's going to put them in the broader landscape is going to depend a lot on what the playoff format going forward looks like. If the 6+6 format that was proposed over the summer ever happens, they're in great shape. If it gets shaved to 5 autobids plus however many at-large bids, they're still a safe bet to nab that fifth autobid 90% of the time.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Bowlsby does have a good point that I have thought all along. This is understandable from the cow perspective, A&M is about to lap t.u. with Jimbo, our recruiting, our schedule of marquee games, huge revenue boost coming, etc., etc. This was a panic/reactionary move by t.u. just to keep up with A&M. As for OU, if was a Sooner fan..... I would not be happy about this at all. With CFP expansion coming, I would rather my team focusing on playing 2 marquee non-conference games but stay in the Big 12. Yes, their schedule is going to be much better and there will be more $$, there is also going to be ALOT more losses.

That is actually the silver lining for A&M, 2 of our main recruiting rivals will no longer have inflated W/L records due to their crappy schedule in a JV league, so it levels the playing field in that regard. As long as we have Jimbo recruiting for us and leading the program we are good, so very good that Jimbo will be at the helm during this SEC conference transition when they join and several / many years after.

The one thing Bowlsby misses the mark on is when he says "a little more" $$, it's not going to be a little more, it's going to be ALOT more.

Bryanisbest
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

I'd take bowlsby over Sankey any day.

Not bright

Which would rather have in your yard, a dumb ass or a snake?
12mn95
AG
agent-maroon said:

OKC~Ag said:

Bowlsby knows why ou and texas is leaving for sec...He can't be that dense.

Bowlsby know it is not about money, as ou and texas has plenty. Difference between future SEC money and big 12 will be significant but not for texas and ou as they both have plenty of other streams of money.

Real reason is relevancy and exposure.

ou and texas wilts playing iowa state and k state in the middle of corn field. They crave attention and dolts in SEC HQ are willing participant in diluting current members' media access at cost of meager future $$$.
Careful. I think you might be underestimating the sip's lust for money. OU will do whatever they need to so that they can stay with sip, but the whorns are all about getting the $$$
And apparently so is every member of the SEC.
aggiejim70
AG
TexAg15 said:

Yes, and I understand it's very hot there.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ColoradoMooseHerd
CalzadasCalzones said:

Beyond the business aspects of college football (there are many), the traditions of college football are worth preserving. College football teams going "out of business" means that traditions die. I love giving Texas A&M my money, even when they're a "bad business" and go 8-5, because the traditions of Texas A&M are incredible. You can't put a price tag on Kyle being packed, or a Penn State whiteout game, or the craziness of the Iron Bowl, records and CFP chances of all the teams involved be damned.

I love how you say, "even when they're a "bad business" and go 8-5

You are acting like 8-5 is a bad season and that is the low bar of your expectations. This is just insane to act like an 8-5 season is bad and explains many of the ridiculous posts and expectations on this board.

Texas A&M all-time winning percentage 60%
12 game season x 60% winning percentage = 7-5 record more times than not

if you only look at the last 20 years we are averaging 7.45 wins and 5.05 losses
ColoradoMooseHerd
Turf96 said:

TexAg15 said:

1. Michigan 971-350-36 (.729)
2. Alabama 931-331-43 (.730)
3. Ohio State 930-327-53 (.730)
4. Texas 923-378-33 (.704)
5. Notre Dame 918-328-42 (.729)

22. Texas A&M 758-487-48 (.605)
ABATTBQ87
AG
Womackster said:

Turf96 said:

TexAg15 said:

Umm...

Texas, Michigan, and Notre Dame are all in the top 5 programs with most win and the top 6 highest win percentage of teams with over 600 wins.

We're somewhere in the 20s for most wins and in the 40s for highest winning percentage.

So...
A&M and teasips total wins since 1971 (not including 2021) (50 years)

A&M = 384 wins
avg 7.7 wins per season
Wins over tu = 19

teasips = 413 wins
avg 8.3 wins per season.
wins over A&M = 21
ColoradoMooseHerd
ABATTBQ87 said:

Womackster said:

Turf96 said:

TexAg15 said:

Umm...

So...
A&M and teasips total wins since 1971 (not including 2021) (50 years)

A&M = 384 wins
avg 7.7 wins per season
Wins over tu = 19

teasips = 413 wins
avg 8.3 wins per season.
wins over A&M = 21
In your comparison of 40 seasons
Texas A&M 8 conference championships - last one in 1998
Texas 12 conference championships - 1 national championship - last one in 2009
Loyalty
AG
He's right you know. Sip and land thief needs to stay put.
SEC Champs
AG
twk said:

Bowlsby is an idiot. Anyone can understand why the sips and sooners decided to leave the Big XII. But, what I don't understand, is how certain SEC schools were so easily persuaded that this was a good deal for them. The reason I say this is because it sets the wheels in motion for continued consolidation of big time college sports, and in that environment, where you may have only 40 teams competing in some kind of NCAA replacement, there's no guarantee that there's a seat at the table for all current SEC members.

Once the Big XII is no longer a "Power 5" league, we'll have gone from 65 big time programs (Power 5 + Notre Dame) to 57 (the remaining 8 Big XII teams falling down to the G5 tier). The culling of the herd likely won't stop at 57.

That's bad for the sport, because teams sports are not like other businesses. In a normal business, you want to grab market share, which inevitably results in some of your competitors going out of business. In sports, competition IS the business, and having fewer competitors is not a plus. Fans of the teams that get kicked to the curb will not necessarily transfer their allegiance to programs that make the cut. The result is that the pie will get smaller.

And a bunch of small schools from the South get more money that all the private liberal arts universities combined. The South's going to do it again, folks.
Midnight Yale
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

CalzadasCalzones said:

Beyond the business aspects of college football (there are many), the traditions of college football are worth preserving. College football teams going "out of business" means that traditions die. I love giving Texas A&M my money, even when they're a "bad business" and go 8-5, because the traditions of Texas A&M are incredible. You can't put a price tag on Kyle being packed, or a Penn State whiteout game, or the craziness of the Iron Bowl, records and CFP chances of all the teams involved be damned.

I love how you say, "even when they're a "bad business" and go 8-5

You are acting like 8-5 is a bad season and that is the low bar of your expectations. This is just insane to act like an 8-5 season is bad and explains many of the ridiculous posts and expectations on this board.

Texas A&M all-time winning percentage 60%
12 game season x 60% winning percentage = 7-5 record more times than not

if you only look at the last 20 years we are averaging 7.45 wins and 5.05 losses

I don't know what your point is here. I'm going to ignore the obvious statistical fallacies you've made and focus on this idea that my expectations are too high. We watch college football with the hope that the team we root for wins a national title, or at least an NY6 bowl game. Currently, it's an expectation. That's why we're paying Jimbo $75M in guaranteed money. A good business delivers on its promises and provides products or services to customers. A&M has won two NY6 bowl games in my lifetime (2012 Cotton and 2020 Orange). My grandfather was an Aggie supporter for 70 years and never saw us win a title. Divorcing our loyalties from this equation, A&M would be a "bad business."

We are among the wealthiest programs, live in one of the most talent-rich recruiting states, play in a conference that yields a great deal of exposure, and have an immensely recognizable brand. I'll write off a Bama loss every year, and one of Miss/LSU/Auburn every year. That's two understandable losses. Which other three teams can you accept consistently losing to in a given year?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.