Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Burns: 'Zero chance' Jimbo Fisher leaves Texas A&M for Baton Rouge

October 18, 2021

Key notes from Peter Burns interview

• Can we stop the rumor that Jimbo Fisher is going to LSU right now? He needs to stop it. Aggie fans deserve to hear it from him. Jimbo needs to stomp it out. I think that's why he got the money beforehand because Scott Woodward was going to probably make a phone call. His agent probably went to Ross Bjork to get the deal done before the phone calls came.

• Remember when Jon Gruden had all of those rumors about him going to Tennessee? He was never going to go there, but he wanted his name in the limelight. Jimbo owes it to Aggie fans to say that there is zero chance he'll be the coach at LSU so that he can focus on the rest of the season and recruiting.

• The first phone call I'd make, and this is just me being an LSU fan, would be the Brian Kelly at Notre Dame. Make him say no. What else is there to accomplish at Notre Dame? He's the all-time winningest coach at that school. He needs to win a title, but he could build a program at LSU the same way he has built it at Notre Dame but with LSU-type talent. That would be my first phone call if I were Scott Woodward.

• This wasn't like something happened yesterday that they had to address right now. Every athletic director has that list of guys. Greg Byrne at Alabama has that list of guys he'd call if Nick Saban doesn't coach tomorrow. Woodward is pretty leak-proof. Any names you hear associated with LSU right now are the work of agents as opposed to what is going to happen.

• A&M is where you've wanted them to be if you're building a program. Why I believe in Jimbo is because they continue to get coached up, make adjustments and get better. Matchup-wise, this weekend was good for them. They match up well with South Carolina next week. When you're upset with 21-point victories, that's still a good win. Sure, you want to be better, but on the road, that's a damn solid win.

• Florida has Georgia coming up next. Mullen will likely have lost seven of his last nine against Power 5 opponents. The problem with him is that he has to make tough decisions. He needed to change what he would do defensively with Todd Grantham, and it has cost them. They couldn't adjust or stop it. He gave Grantham another opportunity, and it failed. It's also the back-and-forth with Emory Jones and Anthony Richardson. That's something that coaches are going to have to deal with right now with the transfer portal. They are interesting times in Gainesville right now, and the locals are not the happiest.

• If LSU makes a coaching change and needs a defensive coordinator, they need to get Gene Chizik off our set and on the sidelines. I wouldn't want to coach against him.

• What we're learning about Texas is that Steve Sarkisian will get that offense going, but there are two sides of the ball. It reminds me of what Lane Kiffin did at Ole Miss early on. It's never a bad time when the Texas Longhorns are taking another one in the loss column.
Discussion from...

Burns: 'Zero chance' Jimbo Fisher leaves Texas A&M for Baton Rouge

12,941 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by pete85
merch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zero chance Texas would ever be able to join ATM in SEC is what EVERYBODY said when we made the move.

Look, chances may be small but they are certainly not zero.
rangerdanger
AG
So who drew the "short straw" to ask Jimbo about his future in the next presser?
northeastag
AG
Mr Burns makes a good point. Jimbo can shut this talk down immediately, if he wants to. How is it not bad for our recruiting to leave it hanging.
Comeby!
AG
Hadnt watched a video in awhile. Who's the homeless guy?
pete85
AG
merch said:

Zero chance Texas would ever be able to join ATM in SEC is what EVERYBODY said when we made the move.

Look, chances may be small but they are certainly not zero.
The Arkansas Deliverance movie remake may make them want to seriously reconsider their options.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.