Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

"Kyle Field - Bryan-College Station, TX"

14,330 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by alamoaggie64
West Point Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Builder93 said:

How many of you who are complaining about Bryan being a dump have been to downtown Bryan or the newer areas of Bryan?

College Station is just a Houston suburb but worse. It has no significant tax base and is full of rental units. Everything is sterile and bland in CS.

Bryan is improving downtown consistently, it has the medical school and RELLIS, and it will be home to the nicest park in the area when Midtown is complete. Most of all, Bryan has some flavor.

Bryan also has a diversified tax base for the future. Manufacturing, professional, and commercial businesses all contribute.

All this may be…I have no idea as I have not set foot on Bryan since the 90s (other than driving by TAMUS/Rellis on my way to CS…you know where A&M is! ;-) ). The fact remains Kyle Field sits 100% in College Station, as does BBP and Reed. If they want to address Rellis or the TAMUS, for example, as just Bryan, that makes sense! Other schools have their stadia in a different town, when addressed on TV they use the proper mailing address. Ahhhhh the Sharp era…
Let’s Go Brandon!
Builder93
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Builder93 said:

How many of you who are complaining about Bryan being a dump have been to downtown Bryan or the newer areas of Bryan?

College Station is just a Houston suburb but worse. It has no significant tax base and is full of rental units. Everything is sterile and bland in CS.

Bryan is improving downtown consistently, it has the medical school and RELLIS, and it will be home to the nicest park in the area when Midtown is complete. Most of all, Bryan has some flavor.

Bryan also has a diversified tax base for the future. Manufacturing, professional, and commercial businesses all contribute.

All this may be…I have no idea as I have not set foot on Bryan since the 90s (other than driving by TAMUS/Rellis on my way to CS…you know where A&M is! ;-) ). The fact remains Kyle Field sits 100% in College Station, as does BBP and Reed. If they want to address Rellis or the TAMUS, for example, as just Bryan, that makes sense! Other schools have their stadia in a different town, when addressed on TV they use the proper mailing address. Ahhhhh the Sharp era…
Lame.
TAMUallen
AG
Ok real question is whether or not Bryan is paying for this marketing and advertising.

I don't care because we all know that it's called Bryan college station as an area. We know there's a difference between the two but if you're in one you're close enough to the other.

Just seems a bit odd though since BCS isn't a metroplex like DFW. Jerry World is in Arlington and everybody knows that but it doesn't say Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington
Keith70Chevelle
Bryan is no dump. It's a shame all the haters. If you don't like Bryan. Stay out. I've lived here for forty years and it has always been. Bryan/College Station.
Keith70Chevelle
The Dirty Sock said:

I refer to people from bryan as "the others".
What a dumb statement. Coming from other.
TyperWoods
Bryan was a s**thole in the 80's. Kudos to them for making great improvements.

That being said, I spend 90% of my time in the area in CS.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
TyperWoods said:

Bryan was a s**thole in the 80's. Kudos to them for making great improvements.

That being said, I spend 90% of my time in the area in CS.
Did you ever have a beverage at the Neptune Lounge?
ZoneClubber
AG
Miramont and Traditions are in Bryan last I checked. Downtown Bryan. Rellis campus. New park, Big Shots Golf, tons of new businesses and restaurants.

I don't know why this triggers folks so badly.
Jbob04
AG
Because Kyle field- Bryan College Station Texas sounds dumb. Kyle field is in College Station.
cavjock88
AG
CK Esten begs to differ. No need for either B or CS. It's just Kyle Field Home of the Fightin Texas Aggies.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I didn't even know there was a north Texas avenue until I started watching the news.
Little Rock Ag
AG
I lived in Bryan when I worked at A&M, and I always enjoyed the distinction. It was nice to have a "normal" city to retreat to when I had a little too much overexposure to the college life. That said, I really don't care one way or the other...life goes on.
Squadron7
AG
"Welcome to Amon G. Carter stadium in Dallas-Fort Worth"
Bryanisbest
AG
Jbob04 said:

Because Kyle field- Bryan College Station Texas sounds dumb. Kyle field is in College Station.

They are not announcing the location of Kyle Field. As I recall it's always welcome to Kyle Field the home of Texas A&M Bryan-College Station
Jbob04
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Jbob04 said:

They are not announcing the location of Kyle Field. As I recall it's always welcome to Kyle Field the home of Texas A&M Bryan-College Station

Divining Rod
Bryanisbest said:

Divining Rod said:

pretty sure Kyle Field is in College Station.

They're not calling it "Kyle Field Bryan-College Station". It is "Texas A&M Bryan-College Station. "

I'm responding to what the OP said in his title. If it aint true, take it up with him.
Divining Rod
Bryanisbest said:

Jbob04 said:

Never heard that in my life. but of course, ive only been listening to aggie football on radio since the 60s.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Anyone know if the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has these kinds of fights?
BadAggie
AG
rednecked said:

BadAggie said:

Who could forget the battle between Bryan and College Station in 1893? That set the boundaries between the two cities which remains to this very day. Pretty crazy that close to 300 died. Strange that never comes up much in A&M history.
a small footnote to that tragic time was that at the time Boonville, known to be an ally of Bryan was so angry over the railroad controversy, refused to come to Bryan's aid and would not send any of their young men to help in the fight. Repercussions from Bryan afterwards had devastating impacts on Boonville's economy which they have never recovered from.

Don't forget the charge of Col. Wellborn's Bryan Volunteers at the Battle of Turkey Creek.
SJEAg
AG
BeowulfShaeffer said:

Anyone know if the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has these kinds of fights?

Actually, my older sister went to Illinois back in the early 90s. I recall many times how she and everyone thought Urbana was a total worthless ****hole. And they always said Champaign-Urbana if not just Champaign, not the other way around (although I do recall the uiuc.edu in her email address even back then).

When I went to A&M a few years later, think she even asked me if Bryan was like Urbana.
TyperWoods
Caldwell, Navasota, Madisonville, Hearn, Snook, and Roans Prairie would like a word.
annie88
AG
Yes and I think it's stupid.

And I now live in and love Bryan, lived in college station 14 years until last year

Nothing against the city but Texas A&M is in college station.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
This is part of a larger, long-running conspiracy by WatchOle to force Texags users to accept townies on this site. It started with the acquisition of MyBCS. Then a sneak attack took place when they merged it into the "Aggieland" board. Then they started taking over other boards.

Follow the money.
BadAggie
AG
Alpha Texan said:

BadAggie said:

Who could forget the battle between Bryan and College Station in 1893? That set the boundaries between the two cities which remains to this very day. Pretty crazy that close to 300 died. Strange that never comes up much in A&M history.

Is this for real?????

Legend has it that the truce was signed on campus near where a young sapling grew. Today that is the Century Tree.
TexasRebel
AG
Bryan will soon annex CS.
stestro
BadAggie said:

Alpha Texan said:

BadAggie said:

Is this for real?????

It was a fierce battle between the Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons. Neanderthals won and went on to establish Texas A&M.

BeowulfShaeffer
AG
SJEAg said:

BeowulfShaeffer said:

Actually, my older sister went to Illinois back in the early 90s. I recall many times how she and everyone thought Urbana was a total worthless ****hole. And they always said Champaign-Urbana if not just Champaign, not the other way around (although I do recall the uiuc.edu in her email address even back then).

When I went to A&M a few years later, think she even asked me if Bryan was like Urbana.
Actually, that is true--Champaign is "nicer" than Urbana. My company has a facility in Champaign, and really that's the side you want to be on. However, their campus does truly straddle the city borders.

In many ways, it reminds me of A&M--it's a big ag school, with ag research done on campus plots. It also has a firefighter training facility on campus, a major freight railroad line running alongside campus, and a small two gate university-owned airport that serves the community. Chicago and Indianapolis are both about 2 hours away by car, which are roughly similar times/distances to Houston and Austin.
BadAggie
AG
There were rumors that a couple decades later disgruntled Bryan residents burned down the Old Main building on campus in 1912 after the College refused to include Bryan officially as part of its location, but that was never confirmed.
denied
BadAggie said:

Alpha Texan said:

BadAggie said:

Is this for real?????

Legend has it that the truce was signed on campus near where a young sapling grew. Today that is the Century Tree.

No… not where it happened. I hate when history gets told wrong like a case of "telephone." It was the "Peace Tree" which was a fully established Live Oak (and one of the few existing trees on campus at the time) south of Old Main. The Peace Tree (like much of A&M's history) was plowed under in a bit of irony to clear space for a military sciences building (the Trigon).
Titan83
AG
Welcome to Kyle Field in College Station , TX home to the Fightin' Texas A&M Aggies of College Station, TX at Texas A&M University in Bryan-College Station, TX. Welcome.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Titan83 said:

Welcome to Kyle Field in College Station , TX home to the Fightin' Texas A&M Aggies of College Station, TX at Texas A&M University in Bryan-College Station, TX. Welcome.
This needs to be painted in the endzones.
Alpha Texan
AG
denied said:

BadAggie said:

Alpha Texan said:

BadAggie said:

Is this for real?????

No… not where it happened. I hate when history gets told wrong like a case of "telephone." It was the "Peace Tree" which was a fully established Live Oak (and one of the few existing trees on campus at the time) south of Old Main. The Peace Tree (like much of A&M's history) was plowed under in a bit of irony to clear space for a military sciences building (the Trigon).
This story keeps getting better
Baron de Bastrop
AG
In the last decade A&M has invested over a billion dollars into 7 A&M colleges that are on Bryan soil in downtown, HSC and RELLIS. They've outgrown the land Bryan businessmen originally donated for the main campus back in the 1800s and now have 220 acres at the Texas A&M University Health Science Center in Bryan, 2200 acres at RELLIS in Bryan, and 10,000 sq ft in downtown for the College of Architecture. The golf team is also based in Bryan at Traditions.

A&M needs both cities and wants outsiders to understand we are much bigger than either one. That helps A&M.

Recruiting too notch talent to work at a world class university is easier when you have a world class community with many interesting places and things to do besides go to the Mall, strip centers, chains, and live in cookie cutter neighborhoods. I enjoy those neighborhoods and retail outlets and love that we have them when we need them in both cities, but I also like that Bryan is 150 years old this year, has lots of mom-n-pop businesses, Lakewalk, Midtown Park, Downtown, Messina Hof winery, interesting historic neighborhoods, great schools, the #3 ranked hotel in Texas (Stella Hotel), and similar Part1 UCR crime numbers as College Station. In fact, if you look up FBI UCR statistics you will be surprised to learn total Part1 crime has been lower in Bryan than CS for the past 5 years. The two cities are both pretty safe. Drive times to campus also similar, amd many are actually shorter from Bryan on average than CS now that so much CS development has moved south, and traffic is generally better. Bryan is more often run by people with Aggie rings who attended A&M. CS is more often run by people who teach or taught at A&M. Bryan is economically and socially more diverse with both white and blue color workforce. Both cities have very young average ages.

I like both cities a lot and I think they complement each other well. It's better to say BCS whichever city you prefer because it's easier for A&M and BCS businesses to recruit talent to A&M when people considering Aggieland see we are not just the size of one or the other city, but rather two cities that make up approximately 220,000 people. CS and Bryan.
rednecked
AG
BadAggie said:

rednecked said:

BadAggie said:

a small footnote to that tragic time was that at the time Boonville, known to be an ally of Bryan was so angry over the railroad controversy, refused to come to Bryan's aid and would not send any of their young men to help in the fight. Repercussions from Bryan afterwards had devastating impacts on Boonville's economy which they have never recovered from.

Don't forget the charge of Col. Wellborn's Bryan Volunteers at the Battle of Turkey Creek.
I've been to the memorial site on numerous occasions. Never forget!
BadAggie
AG
BadAggie said:

Alpha Texan said:

BadAggie said:

Is this for real?????

Sul Ross presided over the truce. Lt. Colonel John David Millican, whose Marauders wreaked havoc throughout Bryan and sacked its nascent downtown represented College Station, while Brig. General William Henry Hearne did the same for Bryan. Hearne, whose famous quote "I will brook no Station man telling Bryan City what to do!" was chiseled in stone above the entrance to the old Brazos County courthouse (unceremoniously demolished in the 1950s) was a legendary figure and would die the following year. Also in attendance was Gen. Antonio Diego de Villa Maria, a member of the Spanish Legation in Houston who had been observing the hostilities. Villa Maria would go on to write a two volume history entitled "Una historia de la guerra entre dos ciudades en el centro de Texas." No copies of that work survive today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.