Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

"Kyle Field - Bryan-College Station, TX"

14,343 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by alamoaggie64
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love living in Bryan. Also love how much this apparently triggers people. Maybe they should just say "located in the Brazos Valley" and let the announcers pronounce Brazos incorrectly.

My favorite thing since A&M mandated this is that they put up road signs to commemorate it. So now if you cross from College Station into Bryan on 2818 there's a sign that says "NOW ENTERING AGGIELAND". Makes me laugh every time I see it.
Bryanisbest
AG
Zone416 said:

The Resolution:

Members, Board of Regents
The Texas A&M University System
Subject: Resolution Recognizing the Importance of the Bryan-College Station Community to
Texas A&M University
Approval of the following resolution honoring the historical connections and importance of the
Bryan-College Station community to Texas A&M University is recommended:
"WHEREAS, Aggieland has grown beyond the boundaries of any one municipality; and

WHEREAS, College Station is known as the "Home of Texas A&M University"; and

WHEREAS, the City of College Station and the City of Bryan have had an entwined history since
the City of College Station was incorporated in 1938; and

WHEREAS, Bryan and Texas A&M University's historical ties go back to 1871, when Bryan was incorporated and the Texas Legislature established the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas; and

WHEREAS, College Station and Texas A&M University are synonymous, with the city owing
its name and existence to the Agricultural and Mechanical College's location along the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, receiving the designation "College Station, Texas" by the U.S. Postal Service in 1877; and

WHEREAS, the City of College Station was incorporated after a petition was submitted to the
A&M College of Texas board of directors, and the first city council was comprised of A&M faculty members and met in the administration building; and

WHEREAS, Kyle Field, home to Aggie Football since 1905, is located in College Station, and
in 2013 College Station guaranteed up to $36 million in hotel tax revenues toward the renovation
of Kyle Field; and

WHEREAS, Bryan Army Air Field was used as the Texas A&M University Annex for incoming
Corps of Cadets freshmen and returning veterans in 1946; and
WHEREAS, in 1962, Bryan Air Force Base was deeded to Texas A&M University, adding 1,991 acres; and

WHEREAS, the former Bryan Air Force Base was operated as the Texas A&M University
Research and Extension Center for a quarter of a century before being designated as the Texas A&M University Riverside Campus in 1988; and

WHEREAS, the Texas A&M University Riverside Campus grew into the Texas A&M University
Research Annex before transforming into the RELLIS Campus in 2016, home to Texas A&M University System entities including ten regional universities, the Texas A&M Engineering
Extension Service (TEEX), the Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES) and the
Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI); and

WHEREAS, in 2007, the City of Bryan gifted more than 200 acres to the Texas A&M University
Health Science Center; and

WHEREAS, recognizing the long history and partnership between the City of Bryan, the City of
College Station and both Texas A&M University and The Texas A&M University System; and

WHEREAS, recognizing that over the past decade, Texas A&M University and The Texas A&M
University System have expanded into the City of Bryan with seven Texas A&M University System colleges, ten Texas A&M University System universities and multiple Texas A&M University System state agencies on more than 2,200 acres with more than $1 billion in investment; and

WHEREAS, Texas A&M University will always be the institution's official name; and

WHEREAS, there is no intent to change the university's official name; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, that the Chancellor of The Texas A&M University System and the President of Texas A&M University will use "Bryan-College Station" only in any general location references where College Station would have been used in the past, including references at
all sporting events, academic events, press releases, marketing collateral, letterhead, and other
representations of Texas A&M University and The Texas A&M University System where a
specific postal address is not required.

ADOPTED, this 20th day of August 2020

Someone above said Bryan used to look down their nose on CS. Looks like now, Sir, the nose is on the other foot, yours . By the way "Texas A&M College Bryan" was the name of the community before there was a College Station. See copies of old plats of A&M property.
TyperWoods
This is a dumb PC move that would not matter except it matters to dumb PC people, and thus it's irritating to those of us with common sense, and so matters.
Bryanisbest
AG
Divining Rod said:

pretty sure Kyle Field is in College Station.

They're not calling it "Kyle Field Bryan-College Station". It is "Texas A&M Bryan-College Station. "
West Point Aggie
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

College Station used to just be a train train station called The College Station. It was the train stop for folks going to and from the college; faculty and staff lived in Bryan.

…and now Bryan is the dump!
Let’s Go Brandon!
ABATTBQ11
AG
OlArmy12 said:

Don't like it. College Station or GTFO.

This. **** Bryan.
Bryanisbest
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

OlArmy12 said:

Don't like it. College Station or GTFO. CS thinking was probably like the poster above: "Bryan is a dump." .

Just say Aggieland

Back in the 70's a proposal was made by leaders in Bryan to join the two cities as one and name it Aggieland. White Flight kicked in and College Station refused.
The Dirty Sock
I refer to people from bryan as "the others".
Muy
AG
Go DFW Cowboys!
greg.w.h
AG
Resolutions are stupid.

But Sharp got both cities to help fund the Kyle rebuild. This is fair.
SgtBarbarossa
Bryan will never be part of College Station until they admit they stole our lemon tree.

Michael Cera Palin
AG
Muy said:

Go DFW Cowboys!
The Dallas Cowboys! Headquartered in Frisco and play in Arlington

Nothing says cowboy quite like the DFW suburbs
AggieZUUL
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Divining Rod said:

pretty sure Kyle Field is in College Station.

They're not calling it "Kyle Field Bryan-College Station". It is "Texas A&M Bryan-College Station. "

bruh..
Bryanisbest
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

Arrogance is bringing down tu. Watch out, Dirty Sock.
Caesar4
AG
My main thought after reading that...I need to start putting WHEREAS into my every day vernacular.
The Dirty Sock
Bryanisbest said:

The Dirty Sock said:

Arrogance is bringing down tu. Watch out, Dirty Sock.

Hush wildling. You stay on your side of the wall.
Little Rock Ag
AG
greg.w.h said:

Resolutions are stupid.

Sharp's just mad that he's not from "Placedo-Victoria".
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
No matter the topic, rest assured, someone on Texags will care about it
EliteElectric
I live in Bryan, own a Business in CS and am active in both cities. I like it that way. The big school was once called A&M College of "Bryan" Tx, WAY before there even was a city of College Station. I think anything that brings the two cities together is a good thing for all citizens, and, to a further extent, a good thing for all county residents. We are one community no matter who likes it or doesn't.

It's laughable for people to call Bryan a "dump" or to say anything disparaging about one city or another. CS has the main campus, Bryan has HSC and RELLIS, who when they are at full strength will dwarf the main campus.

As Rodney King said "can't we all get along?"

davido
AG
aggiebones said:

It's Bryan - College Station

But for the purposes of Kyle Field, that is in College Station. Should not be co-stated.
That's likely just done for hotel purposes, so people don't think Motel 6 is too far away.

Or the only five star hotel in the area, which is in Bryan, as I'm sure you're aware.

Tax base shifted when the mall moved to CS, but it's not 90s Bryan anymore.
ClearlyJustSomeAg
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

No matter the topic, rest assured, someone on Texags will care about it
Some of these people need more hobbies.
agnerd
AG
greg.w.h said:

From what I can tell, College Station helped fund Kyle, but Bryan didn't. I'm not a CS resident, but if I was, and my tax dollars were going to fund the Kyle renovation, and Bryan got to slap their name on it without making a similar contribution, I'd be really angry about that.

https://theeagle.com/news/local/college-station-commits-to-helping-fund-kyle-field-renovations/article_430bb568-7860-55fb-adea-27dde7422a03.html
Sublette County
AG
People don't like it because College Station is part of A&M's identity, and is one of the coolest college town names.

Bryan-College Station is a ridiculous mouthful.
Sniffing Accountant
AG
Bryan sucks
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Dang. Hard to believe what I'm reading in all these posts. Grew up 100 miles from BCS. Class of 81. Never heard the area called anything different other than "Bryan-College Station" Moved out of TX in '93. What the heck did y'all do to the place from '94 to '21? (Obligatory User name doesn't check out - I split time now)

For those complaining about BCS name. You need to be glad it's BCS. When the Morrill Act appropriated for Land Grant colleges, the Feds and TX were looking for a site partner. Waco, TX got first shot at being the home of Texas A&M and Waco turned it down. The City of Bryan said sure, we'll donate money and land to bring the college here. The rest is history..
Builder93
AG
How many of you who are complaining about Bryan being a dump have been to downtown Bryan or the newer areas of Bryan?

College Station is just a Houston suburb but worse. It has no significant tax base and is full of rental units. Everything is sterile and bland in CS.

Bryan is improving downtown consistently, it has the medical school and RELLIS, and it will be home to the nicest park in the area when Midtown is complete. Most of all, Bryan has some flavor.

Bryan also has a diversified tax base for the future. Manufacturing, professional, and commercial businesses all contribute.

Post removed:
by user
Tobias Funke
AG
Follow the money.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Kyle Field is in College Station. It looks jumbled to say Kyle Field - Bryan-College Station. This is the epitome of political correctness trumping common sense.
Builder93
AG
How in the H-E-double hockey sticks is this political correctness? It's just an effort to share the wealth among the 2 communities by promoting Bryan a little bit because all of the fun things to do in the area are now in Bryan.

Aside from Campus, downtown Bryan is the tourist center for the 2 cities now. Nobody drives through CS and says, "Oh, look at these houses and businesses that look just like where I came from. I'm glad we came here to see more of the same crap."
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Wow! Calling the area Bryan-College Station in the 70's and 80's was being "politically correct"? Who woulda thunk it? Dayum!
schmellba99
AG
BadAggie said:

Who could forget the battle between Bryan and College Station in 1893? That set the boundaries between the two cities which remains to this very day. Pretty crazy that close to 300 died. Strange that never comes up much in A&M history.
I have never heard of this and would like to hear more.
Ag Since 83
AG
This whole thing's been inevitable since both school districts built their second high schools and ruined the exclusivity of the Tiger-Viking rivalry (Go Tigers! - I have no idea what to even think of the Rangers and Cougars)

As someone born in Bryan and raised in CS I think the whole "university is in B-CS" is fine given how big it is now but using B-CS to describe sports locations decidedly in CS is dumb
The Dirty Sock
SgtBarbarossa said:

Bryant will never be part of College Station until they admit they stole our lemon tree.

Those bryan kids think they're so hot, but you know what? They're not.

EliteElectric
Builder93 said:

Nobody drives through CS and says, "Oh, look at these houses and businesses that look just like where I came from. I'm glad we came here to see more of the same crap."
Yes!

And-

Everything with any historical value is being or has been torn down in CS and replaced with paper Mache and Ikea AgShacks or megaplex's that are cheaply built and bear a closer resemblance to prisons than living spaces. For a city that is proud of its school, a school which boasts an amazing Construction Science program and School of Architecture, it's a damned shame that the newer structures in town look like prisons, and they call this "progress"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.