Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Y'all sure do turn on a coach quickly

6,118 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nereus
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bonfire1996 said:

Such is life in playoff football. Margin of error is one game at most. Problem is, we still have Bama on the schedule, we still have Ole Miss on the schedule, we still have LSU and Auburn on the schedule.

We didn't turn on Jimbo, we are holding him accountable to the expectations that he set for himself, and to the contract extension he just signed. By signing that extension, and committing himself to the words he said at SEC media days, Jimbo promised to be a much better coach and play caller than he was on Saturday.

I'm glad you brought up the orange bowl. Why'd we win that game? Achane. How many touches did Achane get before Spiller game up gimpy late in 3rd Quarter? Zero.

Our playmakers on offense are screaming for a Saban-esque game manager who just gets the ball to the studs. Jumbos stubborn butt requires the QB to be the MVP. Even when the QB is hurt or the backup is in, that guy must be the MVP in Jimbos offense. That's incredibly stupid.

It sucks that we are just now realizing this. We got a preview in his last year at FSU. When Francois went down, all that talent around them melted away, it didn't matter. We thought Jimbo had checked out mentally. Nope, that's what we are experiencing right now.
Ian Neff
AG
Ugh
Goose83
AG
Just because some of us here don't belong to the Jimbo cult of personality, and actually expect something for our $9 million doesn't make us bad Aggies.

We were told to give him four years to get his team together, and now that four years is up, it's time to put up or shut up. The fact is he had plenty of time to recruit enough depth in the roster enough to cover normal attrition (injuries, graduation, etc.). The fact that he hasn't is cause for concern, and leads to legitimate criticism as to just what we are getting for our money.

We're forking out top three money here, so it's not wrong to ask questions as to why we aren't seeing top three results.
threemeat
This whole thing is a money issue. Clearly the $9 Mil/year was for half a football team. There is no other explanation. Bump it to $18 mil/year and we got the Natty in the bag.
hunter2012
AG
Lookup "zero-sum game" and maybe take a remedial math class or two. I guarantee with a normal schedule most of our competition would have had winning records.
Alpha Texan
AG
Winners win,. The way you are about to have a heart attack over a loss to a good Arky team makes me think winning is all that matters to you, but now that I see you complaining about our 9-1 season I know that WHINING is the only thing that matters to you.

I bet last year was a hard year for you and you had to watch us win 8 games in a row to end the season. And the Colorado game this year must have been quite the letdown since we pulled out the win!

If you're t-sip, and I'm starting to suspect you might be, well played
Ian Neff
AG
Alpha Texan said:

Winners win,. The way you are about to have a heart attack over a loss to a good Arky team makes me think winning is all that matters to you, but now that I see you complaining about our 9-1 season I know that WHINING is the only thing that matters to you.

I bet last year was a hard year for you and you had to watch us win 8 games in a row to end the season. And the Colorado game this year must have been quite the letdown since we pulled out the win!

Dr. RC's takes are all pathetic.
Dr RC
Dark_Knight said:

I think we have to be patient. Building a program just doesn't happen. Doesn't really happen in 4yrs or less. We need to play for the conference before we can worry about an NC. The impatient asshats can talk out their ass, think of themselves as the Patton of football. I think Jimbo can get it done, he needs time. Some of you need to pull that stick out and stop crying.
Nick Saban won a title in year 3 at Bama and year 4 at LSU
Urban Meyer won a title in year 2 Florida and year 3 at Ohio State
Bob Stoops won a title in year 2 at OU
Pete Carrol won a title in year 3 at USC
Jim Tressel won a title in year 2 at Ohio State
Gene Chizik won a title in year 2 at Auburn
Les Miles got his title in year 2 at LSU
Ed Orgeron won a title in his 3rd full season at LSU
and yes Jimbo got his title in his 4th yer at FSU

The only outliers in the last 20 years are Mack Brown getting his title at Texas in year 8 and Dabo Swinney getting his title at Clemson in his 7th full year.

and before some of you get infatuated with the names of those schools, go and look at what they were doing before those coaches got there. Aside from LSU w/MIles and Ohio State w/Urban all of them were roughly at where we were when Sumlin was fired.

Dr RC
Alpha Texan said:

Saying that our schedule was easy last year (which it was) thus making the Orange Bowl berth less impressive than everyone here acts is not complaining about winning. It's simply pointing out an uncomfortable fact.

Alpha Texan
AG
I think you just don't know a lot about football. I'm sorry.
Dr RC
Alpha Texan said:

I think you just don't know a lot about football. I'm sorry.
The fact that you think last year's schedule was tough says it's you that doesn't know much. I'm sorry.
phatbc
Bonfire1996 said:

Such is life in playoff football. Margin of error is one game at most. Problem is, we still have Bama on the schedule, we still have Ole Miss on the schedule, we still have LSU and Auburn on the schedule.

We didn't turn on Jimbo, we are holding him accountable to the expectations that he set for himself, and to the contract extension he just signed. By signing that extension, and committing himself to the words he said at SEC media days, Jimbo promised to be a much better coach and play caller than he was on Saturday.

I'm glad you brought up the orange bowl. Why'd we win that game? Achane. How many touches did Achane get before Spiller game up gimpy late in 3rd Quarter? Zero.

Our playmakers on offense are screaming for a Saban-esque game manager who just gets the ball to the studs. Jumbos stubborn butt requires the QB to be the MVP. Even when the QB is hurt or the backup is in, that guy must be the MVP in Jimbos offense. That's incredibly stupid.

It sucks that we are just now realizing this. We got a preview in his last year at FSU. When Francois went down, all that talent around them melted away, it didn't matter. We thought Jimbo had checked out mentally. Nope, that's what we are experiencing right now.
this is it
Dr RC
hunter2012 said:

Lookup "zero-sum game" and maybe take a remedial math class or two. I guarantee with a normal schedule most of our competition would have had winning records.
Vandy no
South Carolina no
Tennessee no
Mississippi State no
Arkansas no
LSU maybe but still mediocre at best
Auburn yes but still mediocre

Sorry but those 7 wins are against 4 teams that fired their HCs, 2 that had first year HCs, and an LSU that lost their OC and QB who made the team go.

Not impressed.
MaroonStain
AG
Ian Neff said:

Alpha Texan said:

Dr. RC's takes are all pathetic.

Probably due to a name change for PneumAg aka Zoo eeyore.
Goose83
AG
Dr RC said:

Dark_Knight said:

I think we have to be patient. Building a program just doesn't happen. Doesn't really happen in 4yrs or less. We need to play for the conference before we can worry about an NC. The impatient asshats can talk out their ass, think of themselves as the Patton of football. I think Jimbo can get it done, he needs time. Some of you need to pull that stick out and stop crying.

The only outliers in the last 20 years are Mack Brown getting his title at Texas in year 8 and Dabo Swinney getting his title at Clemson in his 7th full year.

and before some of you get infatuated with the names of those schools, go and look at what they were doing before those coaches got there. Aside from LSU w/MIles and Ohio State w/Urban all of them were roughly at were we were when Sumlin was fired.

And to add to that, Sumlin came damn close to winning a title in his first year here.
TxAg76
AG
I think Sumlin has shown us all what he is/was.
And if you can't tell the difference in what JFF is building vs what KDS was flying by the seat of his pants with, then I can't help you.

All that said though, and all your biitching aside, who you gonna go out and hire? And don't say Saban/Swinney/Meyer.
TxAg76
AG
Goose83 said:

Dr RC said:

Dark_Knight said:

and before some of you get infatuated with the names of those schools, go and look at what they were doing before those coaches got there. Aside from LSU w/MIles and Ohio State w/Urban all of them were roughly at were we were when Sumlin was fired.

And to add to that, Sumlin came damn close to winning a title in his first year here.

You meant the Manziel/Kingsbury combo, right?
Alpha Texan
AG
You referenced the losing record. Do you understand that if they all swap wins, but UGA, UF, Bama and us all beat all of the rest of the SEC, they can't possibly have winning records. This is basic math. Basic math. We beat Florida, we beat UNC. We beat 2/3 GREAT teams on our schedule and went undefeated against the others.

"Those schools fired their coaches because they sucked"

Those schools fired their coaches because we beat them. Everybody with a brain knows UT should've kept Pruitt at least another year. Auburn was still a 8 or 9 win team in a normal SEC year just with losses to us, Bama and UGA. Ya know, 3 of the 4 SEC elite last year. Look at what Ole Miss is doing this year, now look at what they did last year, the signs of the program Kiffin has created were bleeding through last year, too. I know we didn't get to play them, but the way we were playing that would've been another W. LSU started the season poorly but was playing slightly above average football by the time they came to Kyle, and that's why the were able to hold their own against UF and eek out a win.

Arkansas, South Carolina, and Miss state were the only "below average" teams we played last year and we had their cheeks clapping in the wind.
SgtBarbarossa
DR RC bringing the salt

Frederick Palowaski
AG
Alpha Texan said:

If you want us to look better, Exposing your butt and all the crap that comes out of it isn't making anything better. All the crap some of you put out here sure doesn't make us look any better. Players, Recruits and parents see this site. Is *this* what you want them to see?

Criticism is fine but some of you just spew crap. Criticism is fine, but some people cross the line of criticism and disrespectful. And don't say, "they shouldn't be snowflakes," because you're the dude having a meltdown after 1 bad loss. If respect is one of our core values, let's exemplify it all the time. That's what core values are. They're not things we practice when convenient. I'm not saying you have to post positive things about Calzone or even like the guy when he's between the sidelines, but good gosh dude, some of y'all need to take a break and realize this isn't the NCAA football video game we are waiting on, there are real people out there and your over-the-top posting crap about our program just shows makes Texas A&M look undesirable.

Gay
TXAG 05
AG
Goose83 said:

Dr RC said:

Dark_Knight said:

Not really. We finished the regular season #9.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Our fan base is full of knee-jerk reaction fans. After starting last season with a very uninspiring 17-12 home win over Vanderbilt and a 52-24 blowout loss at Alabama, many fans were questioning the hiring of Jimbo Fisher. Rallying from a 28-17 deficit in the 3rd quarter to defeat Florida 41-38 turned our season around. Then, we won 6 SEC games by 11+ points, including road games at Mississippi State, South Carolina, Auburn, and Tennessee, and defeated North Carolina 41-27 in the Orange Bowl.

Scotty Appleton
Not sure it is knee-jerk to have questions & some teeth-gnashing when your QB-centric offensive philosophy coach has completely whiffed on QB's in 2 of his 4 recruiting classes and his current starter doesn't look anywhere close to capable. That is swing and a miss in 3 of 4 tries with a question mark with King.
nereus
AG
Dark_Knight said:

We need to play for the conference before we can worry about an NC.
That strategy might work in other conferences, but you basically have to be one of the top 2 teams in the country just to even have a chance to represent the SEC West in the Conference Championship game. What it takes to win a Conference Championship is basically the same thing as winning a NC considering how often the SEC Champion wins the NC.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.