Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who was responsible for scheduling FCS champ SHSU, App State, and Miami next year?

7,365 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggieair
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No upside to playing Sam Houston, App State is dangerous, and Miami can hardly be called a good P5 team anymore.

That is the worst non conference slate of matchups I've seen in at least 10 years. Terrible combination with such little upside. Was this bill byrne's fault or was it it Woodward?

What happened to the exciting Clemson, UCLA, Arizona State matchups?

At least we have Notre Dame coming up.
e=mc2
AG
Hey OP - why not bltch about something we can control. The nonconference games you're crying about were negotiated a decade ago. That's how it's done amigo.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
So it was bill byrne, doing this on his way out. No self respecting AD would have picked that slate.

And UCLA was a lot more exciting than this years and last years. It wasn't even close.
aggieland09
AG
I would love for us to curb stomp Miami. I've always disliked them.
Dr RC
Ghost of Bizbee said:

No upside to playing Sam Houston, App State is dangerous, and Miami can hardly be called a good P5 team anymore.

That is the worst non conference slate of matchups I've seen in at least 10 years. Terrible combination with such little upside. Was this bill byrne's fault or was it it Woodward?

What happened to the exciting Clemson, UCLA, Arizona State matchups?

At least we have Notre Dame coming up.
Miami is a lame matchup b/c they aren't the Miami of the 80s but you have UCLA and Arizona State as exciting teams to play? Do you even follow CFB?
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Are you really going to place Colorado or Miami above either of those two in terms of a desired, exciting matchup?
Dr RC
Ghost of Bizbee said:

Are you really going to place Colorado or Miami above either of those two in terms of a desired, exciting matchup?

They are all pretty much the same. Why exactly do you think UCLA and Arizona State were so exciting to play? They are all perpetually average teams w/occasional good seasons sprinkled in.
Divining Rod
i got no problem with that schedule
immortal_kumquat
What has me worried is the MONTH of road games to start SEC play. The slate of tomato cans to start the season is SOP, and fine with me given the rest of the schedule.
BMX Bandit
This is hardest state of "tomato cans" I recall us (or anyone) playing
ironmanag
AG
Aggie Fans. We need name programs to play and better teams.

Schedule: Miami, a really solid App State team, and one of the best FCS teams.

Also Aggie Fans: No.. No.. No.. not Those name teams and better lower level teams.

ABATTBQ87
AG
This should be the Aggies schedule going forward

Week 1 = Georgia
Week 2 = Florida
week 3 = Tennessee
Week 4 = South Carolina
Week 5 = Arkansas
Week 6 = LSU
week 7 = Alabama
Week 8 = Auburn
Week 9 = Mississippi state
Week 10 = Ole Miss
Week 11 = OU
Week 12 = tu
Bobaloo
'The only happy Aggie is a mad Aggie.' -Shelby Metcalf
BeastmodeAg
AG
I'm cool with SHSU - hopefully we curb stomp them as I know a lot of cats.

App state - trap game but good test

Miami - haven't seen us play them sounds fun
HoustonAg2106
AG
10 years ago it was perfectly reasonable to think that Miami might be an exciting match up in 10 years (when we scheduled Clemson 10 years ago they were no where near the program they are now)
T-Shizzle
Bet Miami has a new coach next year. They always have talent. Could get exciting quickly.
BMX Bandit
We scheduled this 5 years ago.
zephyr88
AG
Well, maybe next year... our wins against out of conference opponents will actually help us.
TX_Aggie37
AG
All of those are more exciting games than Kent State, New Mexico and Prairie View.

I personally don't know if it's worth trying to make our non-conference schedule harder than it has to be, but I understand the appeal of a home and home with a big time program.
zephyr88
AG
TX_Aggie37 said:

All of those are more exciting games than Kent State, New Mexico and Prairie View.

I personally don't know if it's worth trying to make our non-conference schedule harder than it has to be, but I understand the appeal of a home and home with a big time program.
Exactly... then maybe we won't be talking about empty seats on non-conference weekends.

I'm expecting 11/20 to be dollar day tickets.
bigblackag12
AG
Scalpers can get at least 50 for a chance to see a black marching band
Jimbo4win
AG
How do we know 2022 Miami will be bad? There are SO many examples of teams who are average or even terrible one year and then incredible the next.
HoustonAg2106
AG
BMX Bandit said:

We scheduled this 5 years ago.
My point still stands, a lot can change with a power 5 program in 5 years. If I told you that in 5 years Florida State will be a top 10 team even though they are garbage right now would you be surprised? What about Miami? It just takes the right coach and recruiting classes to come together which can easily happen over a 5 year span.
ClearlyJustSomeAg
AG
I understand this is a big community and lots of different people and ideas. Does there always have to be someone to open a thread and ***** about every single thing?

Looks like a solid OOC slate to me.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
That is a very good non-conference schedule. You can't look down on scheduling Miami, ever. App. State is a decent non-con. game. 2022 better than 2021 for sure.

If/when SEC expands to 9 conference game there will be one less cupcake.
antman8504
AG
terrible take. I think it is a good OC schedule. Certainly you'd rather play Miami over Colorado?

Overall it is a great schedule. we play Bama, Auburn, LSU, Florida and Miami in the same year. Not many other college football teams in the country will have a schedule where their best 5 matchups compare to this or beat this.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
If you're going to schedule a cupcake, schedule a cupcake. App State certainly isn't one, and SHSU isn't really either. When we last played them it was an underwhelming performance by the Ags (and don't quote the final score, go back and watch the highlights).

and if you're not going to schedule a cupcake, schedule a team that has more brand recognition and gets you prime time tv spots, and App State doesn't do that. Miami might but it's a big if. Arizona state and UCLA gave us prime time matchups.
fulshearAg96
AG
There is nothing primetime about ASU football
Emilio Fantastico
AG
What was exciting about UCLA?

They finished 4-8 and 6-7 the two years we played them. They would've been 5-7 that second year had Sumlin not Sumlined the game away.

Arizona State? That was a one off neutral site game against a team that finished 6-7.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

What was exciting about UCLA?

They finished 4-8 and 6-7 the two years we played them. They would've been 5-7 that second year had Sumlin not Sumlined the game away.

Arizona State? That was a one off neutral site game against a team that finished 6-7.

All 3 of these were prime time matchups against established brands. CBS year 1, Fox year 2, and ESPN primetime for ASU. And every single one of those matchups was exciting in their own way, with one being a disaster but entertaining for 3 straight quarters.

We'll be lucky if we get one with Miami.
Woomfy
AG
I feel like Miani and App State were pretty off the radar back when these games were scheduled. They've gotten more recognition since then. However, cupcakes are great and all but we need to play better out of conference opponents to show our worth should we have another playoff scenario like last year.
Iowaggie
AG
The OOC schedule is an average to above average conference schedule for a P5 program. This is what college sports are, and basketball is the same way. Generate easy wins to pad the record.

Yes, it is fun to imagine what a full 12-game SEC schedule would look like. College football fans would love it, but "fans" would melt down when they are used to teams who finish 8-4 with 4 cupcake wins now regularly finish 5-7 or undefeated conference champion picks up a loss or two from the brutal schedule week in and week out.

I do wish that at least one of 4 OOC would be against an in-state P5 or strong G5 team close to them. South Carolina has Clemson, Florida has Florida State, Kentucky has Louisville, Georgia has GA Tech. But the "fans" of A&M don't want to see those games. Play interesting games.
Sid Farkas
AG
Never schedule trApp State. Ask meatchicken why
_mpaul
AG
smh

When we scheduled Colorado, my guess is they were pretty good under Mike McIntyre. When we scheduled Miami, my guess is they were pretty good under Al Golden. P5 teams are scheduled so far out in advance a lot can happen over the intervening few years. Did you not know this? Or are you just *****ing to *****.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.