Story Poster
Photo by Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Football

Arkansas is no longer 'Our Kansas' but Aggies are still more talented

September 22, 2021

Arkansas is no longer “Our Kansas.”

In recent years, the Razorbacks have been the Southeastern Conference’s version of Kansas, the whipping boys of the lowly — and getting lower — Big 12.

From 2019-2017, Arkansas managed just eight total victories. They’ve lost to opponents like San Jose State, Western Kentucky, North Texas and Toledo.

Meanwhile, Kansas posted seven wins in that span, with losses to Nicholls State, Central Michigan and Ohio.

Both programs have a history of firing successful yet disgraced coaches (Arkansas Bobby Petrino, Kansas Mark Mangino).

Lindsay Caudle, TexAgs
Now the head coach at Illinois, Bret Bielema led the Razorbacks from 2013-2017 and went 0-5 against the Aggies.

Both programs turned to once-highly successful coaches, who then failed spectacularly (Arkansas Bret Bielema, Kansas Les Miles).

But now, the only common denominator seems to be recent victories over Texas.

That 40-21 victory over the Longhorns vaulted Arkansas into the top-20 and started a surge of confidence in the Ozarks because … well, you know, Texas is back and all.

Maybe it was Arkansas rushing for 333 yards that got the nation’s attention. It certainly got the Aggies’ attention.

“I thought (Arkansas) out-physical’d them a lot,” said Texas A&M safety Leon O’Neal. “I think they did a great job of game management. The defense played phenomenal, which complimented the offense really well. They played 60 minutes of football really hard, really gritty. That’s something I have a lot of respect about them.

“We’ve got to tackle. We’ve got to fill holes. We’ve got to make sure we play Texas A&M football the way we play Texas A&M football. We should leave there with a win.”

The Aggies have left with victories the last nine times they played Arkansas. They’re looking to close out a decade of dominance.

But O’Neal vowed the Aggies wouldn’t take victory for granted.

“Every year is a new year,” O’Neal said. “I think looking at it in the past: ‘We beat them. We beat them. We beat them.’ That’s not the mentality you want to have. The mentality is ‘We have a job to do, and they’re in the way.’”

There is angst among Aggies because, despite a 3-0 record and No. 7 national ranking, A&M still hasn’t played particularly well.

“We’ve got to tackle. We’ve got to fill holes. We’ve got to make sure we play Texas A&M football the way we play Texas A&M football. We should leave there with a win.”
- A&M safety Leon O’Neal

The offensive line has been inconsistent. The defense has been vulnerable to the run. Quarterback Zach Calzada has been erratic in place of injured starter Haynes King.

Further, weak Arkansas teams have routinely been problematic for A&M in games played in Arlington. Five of A&M’s six victories over Arkansas at Jerry Jones’ stadium were decided by a touchdown or less.

That was with Bielema and Chad Morris leading the Hogs.

Second-year coach Sam Pittman has brought much-needed toughness, organization and common sense to Fayetteville.

But those intimidated by those facts are forgetting several points:

• A&M’s line can get better. The Aggies are young up front. They’ve heard accusations they’re soft and ineffective.

Expect them to come out eager to prove themselves after a week of intense practice. Also, they figure to get Layden Robinson back from injury.

• The Aggies have allowed an alarming 486 rushing yards. This time last year, they had given up 304.

But A&M has allowed just 120 total rushing yards since the first half of Colorado. Colorado quarterback Brendon Lewis rushed for 76 yards in that game.

However, he managed only nine after Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko made halftime adjustments. New Mexico quarterback Terry Wilson is best known for his running ability. He was limited to 15 rushing yards last week.

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports
Jefferson has thrown for 632 yards with four passing touchdowns and two interceptions in three games.

Arkansas quarterback KJ Jefferson also relies heavily on his running ability.

• Calzada improved. He was obviously shaken when he first took over for King.

He was able to lead two fourth-quarter drives, with one resulting in the game-winning touchdown pass. He followed that up with a solid 275-yard, three-touchdown performance against New Mexico.

There is concern that Arkansas defensive coordinator Barry Odom will scheme to confuse Calzada. That’s legitimate, but Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher can match wits with anybody.

• A&M still has more talent. Take an objective look, and Arkansas probably has five players who could start for A&M — receiver Treylon Burks, center Ricky Stromberg, linebackers Bumper Pool and Grant Morgan and safety Jalen Catalon.

Even Jefferson probably wouldn’t because Fisher insists on a more accomplished passer. A&M is still more talented.

The Aggies should win, but victory isn’t guaranteed. They will win if they play well. An average effort won’t suffice.

They’re not playing “Our Kansas” anymore.

Discussion from...

Arkansas is no longer 'Our Kansas' but Aggies are still more talented

13,121 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TxAgPreacher
TxAgPreacher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
We are still more talented sounds like cope.

If they want it more they could beat us. If we play like we did against Colorado, they will beat us.

I think our streak might be at end end this year.
All my political beliefs are informed by my religious ones. To flag my posts, and tell me to take it to R&P is intellectual cowardice. I will not debate interpretation, that is off topic, and trolling me.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
TxAgPreacher said:

If they want it more they could beat us. If we play like we did against Colorado, they will beat us.

Pretty bleak synopsis coming from a preacher. Have faith. Aggies will come out victorious. We will not overlook them like years passed.
chrisk12
I think this article meant from 2015-2019, not vice versa.

In that case Arkansas won 8 games in 15 and 7 games in 16. That's 15 wins just in those two years..not sure where you got 8 wins from.
TxAgPreacher
S
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Pretty bleak synopsis coming from a preacher. Have faith. Aggies will come out victorious. We will not overlook them like years passed.

My faith is in God. Not our current QB situation.
All my political beliefs are informed by my religious ones. To flag my posts, and tell me to take it to R&P is intellectual cowardice. I will not debate interpretation, that is off topic, and trolling me.
VandalayIndustries
Ask and you shall receive
Seek and you shall find
Knock and the door will be opened unto you
Meximan
TxAgPreacher said:

TxAgPreacher said:

O ye of little faith
Propane & Accessories
AG
I think of added note to our rushing situation, our first game was without two starters on the front line and since they've returned they have improved. Still should be a good game.
antman8504
AG
Quote:

But now, the only common denominator seems to be recent victories over Texas.
TX_Aggie37
AG
A good chunk of rushing yards (at least against Kent State) were gained by QB scramble on covered/busted pass plays. That's still not awesome, but the narrative that A&M can't stop the run is far from true.

We had one of the better run defenses in the country last season and have only played 1 game this year with our full starting lineup (returning 9 starters from last year's defense). I suspect the defense performs well on Saturday especially if Arkansas is banged up on the OL.
TxAgPreacher
S
Meximan said:

TxAgPreacher said:

TxAgPreacher said:

O ye of little faith

What was that?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.