Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

USC opening concerns me regarding Elko

11,832 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bunk Moreland
DeBoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reports thinking they are going after Franklin from Penn State. Now if they pulled him west, then the Penn St. opening would scare the lights out of me. Elko is a north east guy and you want to talk about a big time opening.
West texas fan
He has even said that! When asked about job offers he has said he has had several offers be he and his family are very happy in college station
Uncle Jimbo
You should be more worried about them hiring James Franklin or Franklin getting fired. Elko would absolutely be in play for Penn St.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Realistically, Elko is gone after '22 if not sooner. He is just too good of a football mind. The good news is that the replacement will have far more to work with than Elko did when he arrived.

Michigan, Nebraska, Syracuse, Purdue and now PSU could have openings.

Hopefully he has enough sense to pass on all except PSU and maybe Syracuse if their expectations are reasonable and they are willing to spend on a good OC.
Onionman
Franklin is a good coach but it makes me laugh to think he just came off an incredibly terrible year for Penn Sate and USC wants him so bad???

PSU was expected to be very good last year and yet started the season 0-5.

Franklin has a 6-5 record since 2020 while Helton was 6-2.
Onionman
(edit for bad connection)
T-Shizzle
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Realistically, Elko is gone after '22 if not sooner. He is just too good of a football mind. The good news is that the replacement will have far more to work with than Elko did when he arrived.

Hopefully he has enough sense to pass on all except PSU and maybe Syracuse if their expectations are reasonable and they are willing to spend on a good OC.

Do you even watch Texas A&M football? Elko didn't inherit any talent? Lol Landis Durham(NFL), Daylon Mack(NFL), Justin Madubuike(NFL), Otaro Olaka(NFlL), Tyrell Dotson(NFL), Daylon Mack(NFL), Donovan Wilson(NFL)Debione Renfro (NFL/CFL)
BadAggie
AG
West texas fan said:

He has even said that! When asked about job offers he has said he has had several offers be he and his family are very happy in college station

Yeah, I remember reading something along those lines. Curious as to how Elko's compensation stacks up among all coordinators in CFB. I mean, he could be DC at A&M for the foreseeable future, have high quality defensive talent, and be paid well.
T-Shizzle
T-Shizzle said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Do you even watch Texas A&M football? Elko had plenty to work with when he arrived. Lol Landis Durham(NFL), Daylon Mack(NFL), Justin Madubuike(NFL), Otaro Olaka(NFlL), Tyrell Dotson(NFL), Daylon Mack(NFL), Donovan Wilson(NFL)Debione Renfro (NFL/CFL)
Aginnebraska
AG
USC has had so many coaching changes in the last decade. They need a 'can't miss' coach. Elko has never held a head coach position and doesn't have the name recognition in West Coast markets that USC needs to compete...in short he's not 'can't miss' material.

Plus, as a PAC12 coach they certainly won't be making a Defense oriented head coach a priority. Elko is probably a good fit for a Southeastern AAC head coach but not west coach elite program material yet.
Ugly
AG
Fedup said:

Campbell from iowa state. The pirate. Lane kiffin. Bryan Harsin.

Campbell makes sense. With the projected conference changes coming, combined with USC's performance recently indicating there is something rotten in their program, is USC really a better job than any of the SEC schools (even the Mississippi schools)?
flyrancher
AG
Wonder if the sips could get USC to hire Sark? That would be really stupid irony!
VikingNik
AG
They are trigger happy with their coaches though.
SinKiller
Elko probably isn't in the top 10, if at all.
phatty26
Chris Petersen

but the big problem is USC is in California and a lot of people dont want to be in that dump of a state with its super high taxes, etc, etc.
Harkrider 93
AG
SECTAMU#1 said:

They will probably pursue Cincinnati's coach
USC AD came from Cincy, so I am hearing this.
maver1ck
AG
I think Elko is very content right now

And I also think USC will hire a current head coach.
ABATTBQ87
AG
nbaker2022 said:

Bob Stoops is on line 1
McInnis80
phatty26 said:

Chris Petersen

but the big problem is USC is in California and a lot of people dont want to be in that dump of a state with its super high taxes, etc, etc.
The high housing costs is a bigger issue, not for a head coach, but for hiring good assistant coaches. Stanford dealt with this by providing houses for their assistant coaches.
maver1ck
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

nbaker2022 said:

Bob Stoops is on line 1
fair point
monarch
S
Well don't think his name isn't already being bantered about on the left coast. Cristobals name is there too
Peace for Ukraine!
TopoTacos
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Yep, extremely worried about Franklin to USC and the resulting dominos. UM would scare me if I didn't think they have too many meddlers behind the scenes. Elko would do great things with the talent they can bring in, especially with a competent OC
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Do you even watch Texas A&M football? Elko didn't inherit any talent? Lol Landis Durham(NFL), Daylon Mack(NFL), Justin Madubuike(NFL), Otaro Olaka(NFlL), Tyrell Dotson(NFL), Daylon Mack(NFL), Donovan Wilson(NFL)Debione Renfro (NFL/CFL)

Your reading comprehension is for shizzle! I said Elko's successor would inherit FAR MORE talent. I never said he had none.

We now have the talent to hit and run with the better offenses. We did not back in 2018. We pressed on defense because the depth was lacking and we wanted to force the issue quickly. The secondary got exposed by opponents with decent pass games. Wilson was good in the middle, but seemed to miss every other game b/c of injury or targeting penalty. We had to play ball control on offense to protect the thin defense.

And regarding some of those players:

Daylon Mack was a waste of talent until Elko arrived
Keke was an average SEC DT until Elko turned him into a good DE
Renfro was a headcase who eventually got beaten out by better players

Every SECw team has a few good defensive players. Nobody on the 2018 defense was all conference in either the AP or coaches poll. Madabuike was 2nd team all SEC in 2019 by the AP. Elko inherited an average defense that was soft against the run. He whipped it into an above average defense that was not soft.
sharpdressedman
Elko is seeing his very hard work coming to fruition, and the program is clearly progressing toward the ultimate prize. I think that no amount of money could influence him to walk away at this time. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.
Sbisa Chef
Kevin Sumlin.
BwdAg
AG
He graduated from Penn. no coaching ties to psu
Agsuffering@bulaw
The concern is timing, not money.

Most assistants get one shot at a big HC job. There are probably only a few HC jobs he wants. His stock cannot get much higher and those jobs would likely not open up again at the right time.
JP_Losman
AG
Urban is about to go 2-15 in his first season in the NFL.

He will leave that post and hop to USC.

Spurrier, Saban, Chip Kelly all showed that formula works
maver1ck
AG
KC Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy is starting to come up quite a bit here
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Urban is about to go 2-15 in his first season in the NFL.

He will leave that post and hop to USC.

He was practically begging for that job 2 years ago. The USC president would not allow it. Nothing has changed.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

KC Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy is starting to come up quite a bit here

And I bet the media pressured USC to interview him. They have been pimping him at least a year. Bienemy was a failed OC at Colorado 10 years ago. He has been in the pro game since. We can't seem to get a straight answer, but it does not appear that he even calls the plays for the Chiefs.

Saban was only out of the college game 2 years between LSU and Bama. Carroll at least had some success as a NFL HC- he made the playoffs several times.

IF they hire Bienemy, they deserve what happens.
RogerTheShrubber
Quote:

Most assistants get one shot at a big HC job. There are probably only a few HC jobs he wants. His stock cannot get much higher and those jobs would likely not open up again at the right time.

something to take into consideration... not all assistant coaches WANT to be HC... there is a world of difference between HC and assistant jobs... not everyone wants to deal with all the "politicking" of being the HEAD guy...

and if youve ever listened or watched any of his press conferences, you would see he is not completely comfortable speaking to the press and gives the sincere impression that he is content doing what he does... we just need to keep him monetarily happy.....

just my $.02
Before the world wide web, village idiots stayed in their own village...
S.A. Aggie
AG
USC and LSU will be in a bidding war for Kelly. LSU, will lose out.
Meanmachine
AG
Elko should and will get a head job soon it just won't be USC. See the Sabin formula for success. Coordinators get head jobs and he replaces them with former head coaches who were fired. We will fine.
ashley
A pro guy or Bill O'Briaen. All Bama OC's get head jobs and he's did a Penn State.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.