Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

tu and OU joining the SEC - Anyone saw it coming?

2,234 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiehawg
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I must confess that it never crossed my mind. Very naiveof me.

Any of you worried about it over the past few years?

Were there any threads here discussing that possibility?
Sully Dog
Bow tie should have gotten it in writting
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
infinity ag
Wow. No one.

Looks like everyone here was as clueless as I was.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Not to say I am Nostradamus but the writing was on the wall for inevitable expansion by the sec. it was a question whether they would move east and target Clemson and someone else or west and target OU and Texas. I am not surprised but was hoping they would go east.
Ag_B_10
AG
It's not too often you flush a turd and it comes back up. It does happen every once in a while, but no one expects it.
Sully Dog said:

Bow tie should have gotten it in writting

The SEC never would have put that in writing.
Not Funny
infinity ag said:

see November 2012.

https://texags.com/forums/6/topics/2210891/1#discussion
lb3
AG
The writing was on the wall for everyone to see when Fox declined to negotiate an early conference media deal. Fox knew the BDF was breaking up, we just chose to ignore it.
PneumAg
I told a bunch of my friends right after we got into the SEC that sip would eventually follow us because no other move makes sense for them.

I had been expecting this every offseason for about the last five years. When I posted on premium that it would eventually happen, everybody insulted me and my posts were deleted. Shocking.

Anybody who didn't see this coming is blind. Did you honestly think they would join the ****ing PAC 12 or ACC? No chance. The Big 10 was the only other remote option but it still wouldn't have made geographic sense, would not have neutralized our SEC advantage, and they would have had to leave OU behind because OU's academics are not acceptable in the Big 10.
infinity ag
Not Funny said:

infinity ag said:

see November 2012.

https://texags.com/forums/6/topics/2210891/1#discussion

Wow that's cool!
Spyderman
AG
infinity ag said:

Yes, absolutely was concerned. Not now..it is what is is. Like Covid, things happen and you move on.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
BMX Bandit
I knew the big 12 would not last, but never thought The Almighty Longhorns would demean themselves by joining the lowly SEC. I mean they were so serious about all those academic issues.
nu awlins ag
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I knew the big 12 would not last, but never thought The Almighty Longhorns would demean themselves by joining the lowly SEC. I mean they were so serious about all those academic issues.

Maybe they'll be the Vanderbilt of the west?
WC94
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

It's not too often you flush a turd and it comes back up. It does happen every once in a while, but no one expects it.

POTY, give it to him!
aggiehawg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Fact of the matter is no one else wanted them. Dodds said recently, like within the last month or so, that he preferred to go to the ACC instead of the PAC back in 2010. And then after we left, he tried to get the ACC interested in a joint move with Notre Dame. They said yes to a hybrid deal with Notre Dame but no to the horns.

B1G reporters have said the B1G turned down the sips and sooners as a package deal in February.
BMX Bandit
Really? Never heard that re ACC.

Have a link to that story?
murphyag
AG
I saw it coming as soon as we hired Jimbo.
aggiehawg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Really? Never heard that re ACC.

Have a link to that story?
I know I linked to it in one of these threads, I'll check. And get back to you.
rrtodds
AG
Quote:

ckwarren33

OP is premature in his conclusion. Lots would have to happen over the next 5-10 years for the whorn to begin an SEC campaign. First, they have to demonstrably become second fiddle in Texas. Second, that role has to be viewed as permanant. Third, the LHN would need to be flushed. Fourth, the SEC Network would need to become a financial home run. Fifth, the B1G and PAC would have to turn down the whorn multiple incremental times.

Let's revisit this in 5 years.

What ever happened to ckwarren33? His 2012 post was very insightful.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Former Texas Longhorns athletic director DeLoss Dodds recently started reminiscing with the Austin American-Statesman. He also played in his hand in his preference back in 2010 to join the ACC rather than the 16-team super-conference the PAC-10 proposed at the time.

"I preferred to go east instead of west," Dodds said, per the Statesman. "And today, it seems the west coast is lagging a bit in sports and wins/losses and championships. They don't seem to have the burnout they do in the south and the east."
Link

Link
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.