Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How long until "horns down" is outlawed by the SEC?

6,141 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by halfastros81
Loren Visser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sept 1, 2022?

Or sooner?
ironmanag
AG
Never. Unless Bama decrees it.
vander54
S
Never
World's worst proofreader
Swamp Thing
Loren Visser said:

Sept 1, 2022?

Or sooner?
That's not gonna fly in this league, I promise...I'm thinking you guys are going to be surprised at how little of their previous shenanigans they're going to be allowed to get away with once they get here..."But we're Texas" will be irrelevant in relation to "We're the SEC".
vander54
S
Swamp Thing said:

Loren Visser said:

Sept 1, 2022?

Or sooner?
That's not gonna fly in this league, I promise...I'm thinking you guys are going to be surprised at how little of their previous shenanigans they're going to be allowed to get away with once they get here..."But we're Texas" will be irrelevant in relation to "We're the SEC".

No one seems to get this. They lost their power grab they've had before. They won't be able to just bully others to get their way.
bv86ag
AG
It will be a couple years after they join...and their bag men buy off Snakey to pass the rule.
First...it will be a penalty.
Then after a few years it becomes an automatic ejection.
The t.u. bagmen are also bringing their crooked referees.

vander54
S
bv86ag said:

It will be a couple years after they join...and their bag men buy off Snakey to pass the rule.

Some of you and your conspiracies are funny.

Sad, but funny.
wbt5845
AG
vander54 said:

Swamp Thing said:

Loren Visser said:

Sept 1, 2022?

Or sooner?
No one seems to get this. They lost their power grab they've had before. They won't be able to just bully others to get their way.
I don't know why everyone thinks this is your grampa's SWC.

There are seven Texas' in the SEC - all just as big, if not bigger, and as rich, if not richer. They will now just be another voice in the chorus.

From Forbes in 2019 (pre COVID)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/09/12/college-football-most-valuable-clemson-texas-am/?sh=c33327ea2e7e

1 | Texas A&M (SEC)

Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $147M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $94M

2 | Texas (Big 12)
Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $147M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $92M

3 | Michigan (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $139M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $83M

4 | Alabama (SEC)

Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $134M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $61M

5 | Ohio State (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $132M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $75M

6 | Oklahoma (Big 12)
Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $129M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $81M

7 | Georgia (SEC)

Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $125M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $74M

8 | Notre Dame (Independent)
Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $120M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $76M

9 | Florida (SEC)

Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $117M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $69M

10 | Auburn (SEC)

Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $117M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $65M

11 | LSU (SEC)

Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $114M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $73M

12 | Tennessee (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Revenue: $113M
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $59M
lotoarmy
AG
vander54 said:

bv86ag said:

Sad, but funny.
Didn't you mean "sad but true"?
Last of the Old Army
vander54
S
No
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Never.

The SEC is a big boy league.

Sip wants to play big boy ball? Time to sack up and quit being so pussified.
BaileyAg
AG
With our limp wristed, capitulating administration, it wouldn't surprise me if we supported the ban
merch
It will be a penalty this yeareven though they are not in conference yet!!! Just getting teams ready for next year.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
vander54 said:

bv86ag said:

Sad, but funny.
Conspiracies? Really?

That's real creative as that word is used to shut down discussion for those lacking substance.

Congratulations. You lose. Think about it,...double entendre there.
vander54
S
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

vander54 said:

bv86ag said:

Sad, but funny.
Conspiracies? Really?

That's real creative as that word is used to shut down discussion for those lacking substance.

Yall really don't understand anything. tu is giving up a lot of power by joining.

Will they try their usual crap? Yes
Will it work? No
Stick around young man, sips are going to teach you a few things. They forgot more about cheatin' than you'll ever know.
vander54
S

Stick around young man, sips are going to teach you a few things. They forgot more about cheatin' than you'll ever know.

I've been around long enough. SWC days.

One thing that was true in all the other conferences is they were the power brand. Not true now
Actual Talking Thermos
I think like most gestures and celebrations, it will just depend on how players do it. Score a TD and flash it to the crowd with your back to the defenders, should be fine. Catch a TD pass and immediately whip around to do it in the defender's face, could get flagged. Same would be true of doing the hook'em/horns up or the gig'em/thumbs up or the gator chomp or whatever. As long as the same rules apply with all of it, should be ok.

Which incidentally is what the B12 said the policy would be a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure. If they had just applied it like that all along it never would have become a whole thing.
Get Off My Lawn
vander54 said:

vander54 said:

bv86ag said:

Sad, but funny.
Conspiracies? Really?

Yall really don't understand anything. tu is giving up a lot of power by joining.

Will it all work? No

Fify. They're not going to get their way AS MUCH, or AS OFTEN - but they play games ethical teams just don't, and some of them will be successful.
vander54
S
Get Off My Lawn said:

vander54 said:

vander54 said:

bv86ag said:

Sad, but funny.
Conspiracies? Really?

Will it all work? No

Fify. They're not going to get their way AS MUCH, or AS OFTEN - but they play games ethical teams just don't, and some of them will be successful.

Maybe but Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Floroda, etc won't put up with their ***** And guess what? They have the power to stand up to them.
UltimateSuperGenius
Will horns down be a penalty because of this: https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/tennessee_rb_john_kelly_gets_penalty_for_doing_gator_chomp/s1_127_24638983
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
LSU literally chants, "Suck That Tiger Dick *****" in their stadium.

But yeah, horns down will probably still be a penalty.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
I personally welcome all the crying from tu about being disrespected.
arontc09
AG
What the fans yell and what the players do in the face of opposing players are two different things. I think the philosophy of it only being a penalty if someone is taunting an opponent on the field is the right way to handle it. I would expect them to enforce taunting penalties consistently throughout the conference.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
arontc09 said:

What the fans yell and what the players do in the face of opposing players are two different things. I think the philosophy of it only being a penalty if someone is taunting an opponent on the field is the right way to handle it. I would expect them to enforce taunting penalties consistently throughout the conference.

I've never gotten the big deal with it. People talk so much more trash and taunt each other in basketball, and if you have an issue with it, you are told to stop being a poon and stop letting him score on you then. For some reason, that logic doesn't apply to football.

As long as they are not holding up the game, and aren't threatening each other, you should be able to do whatever you want.
aggiehawg
AG
ActualTalkingThermos said:

I think like most gestures and celebrations, it will just depend on how players do it. Score a TD and flash it to the crowd with your back to the defenders, should be fine. Catch a TD pass and immediately whip around to do it in the defender's face, could get flagged. Same would be true of doing the hook'em/horns up or the gig'em/thumbs up or the gator chomp or whatever. As long as the same rules apply with all of it, should be ok.

Which incidentally is what the B12 said the policy would
be a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure. If they had just applied it like that all along it never would have become a whole thing.
If your fans and even your coaches going back to Mack Brown weren't such cry babies about it it would have never been elevated to the level that it became embarrassing for you.
TyperWoods
It's for the good of the SEC to penalize horns down.

We want our new extremely lucrative friends to feel welcome. It's a show of unity, what the SEC is all about. One shouldn't disparage ones conference mate, to make them feel lessor or that they don't belong. Can't we all just get along?

Can I get a unanimous amen on that?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Swamp Thing said:

Loren Visser said:

Sept 1, 2022?

Or sooner?

The thing about the sips is that they'll lay low and kiss ass, like they're doing now, as long as they need something, but as soon as they have what they want and have any sort of leverage, they'll use it to carve out whatever advantages and special concessions they can get. They're a ****ing duplicitous and vile cancer.

Just wait 10 or 20 years. At some point, they won't suck again and they'll start getting even more uppity than they are now. They'll decide they're too good for the league and shop around. They might even have someone else like Oklahoma, LSU, Arkansas, or someone else go with them as a package deal with the promise of gender pastures, just like they're doing now. Maybe even more than one. They'll tell the SEC and every other team that they're going to some other conference where they can get more money unless the SEC makes it with their while to stay and hold the gun of realignment to everyone's head to extort special considerations wherever they can, just like they've ALWAYS done.

And they'll get it. Why? Because a) no one will want to see a member leave because it's a sign of weakness, and b) no one will want to see contracts renegotiated for less money.

The best route would be to tell them to **** off and rot in the bdf. And that's not because they're the sips. I say do the same with Oklahoma. It gives them less opportunity for success and takes away their stage for competition. It cements the continued hegemony of the current SEC membership. OU dominates the bdf, but they can't win on the big stage. tu is barely middle of the pack there. Why would anyone want to recruit directly against them and give them opportunities to get better? Let them remain another USC or Michigan that gets by on an old brand and nostalgia but isn't competitive. Don't give them a hand out or a hand up. Don't invite them in for supper, stomp on them at every opportunity and keep them in their place.
A New Hope
Hopefully never. Sips are *******.
vander54 said:

One thing that was true in all the other conferences is they were the power brand. Not true now
Well then,...with SWC experience, that should have taught you a lesson. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Anything more is rhetoric.
halfastros81
AG
I predict never.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LOL, this is the SEC you are talking about. Where Cowbells are totally okay.

The horns are in for a rude awakening in a football conference where they are just another big fish swimming around in a tank full of sharks. Instead of the likes of Baylor, TCU, Rice, Houston, Kansas State, Kansas, SMU, etc....it will be Bama, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Tennessee plus two old rivals in OU and A&M who have extended periods in history of kicking their ass in football.

That will be a new experience for them. Maybe the league will be nice to them and let them play Vandy 3-4 times a year.
vander54
S

vander54 said:

Well then,...with SWC experience, that should have taught you a lesson. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Anything more is rhetoric.

History is a learning experience. You absorb what happened and learn from it. We aren't the same we were in the SWC or Big 12.

I guess you can say I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't trust them but I don't think they will have the same power.
Pumpkinhead
AG
vander54 said:

vander54 said:

History is a learning experience. You absorb what happened and learn from it. We aren't the same we were in the SWC or Big 12.

I guess you can say I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't trust them but I don't think they will have the same power.
Was at A&M 89 - 96 time frame and we pretty much dominated the horns and were a national title contender. Mid-eighties through much of the 90's.

A&M got behind in the facilities race and made a bad hire in Fran, while Texas made a good hire in Mack. And that pretty much explained the 2000's decade why the horns had the upper hand during that time frame.

Things are back to where we have the upperhand now with the better coach and all the facilities that you want, while they are still hoping that maybe Sark is now the guy (my guess he won't be and they will be hunting for a new one in 4-5 years).

The horns are too big a brand and too rich to ever get KO'd forever, but so is A&M. A&M vs. tu is Kong vs. Godzilla. It is in-state schools like TCU and Baylor and Tech that are getting truly hurt in something like this while Kong and Godzilla go at it.

As many experts have said on the show, I wouldn't be that freaked out as an Aggie fan by all these changes. A&M is in the 'haves' category. Even if the top 30-ish schools break away and just form a single Mega-Football Conference, A&M would be in that 30-team conference. A school like Vanderbilt might very well not be, but A&M would.

And so would Texas. Texas could have joined the SEC too in 2010 had they wanted. This was always a possibility. No conference would ever turn down adding Texas. The Big 10, ACC, and PAC would gladly grab them right now if the SEC passed. And the same goes for A&M. Any of those conferences would gladly take us as a member school.
500,000ags
AG
It's pretty amazing to me that some here think UT will have similar power in the SEC. The SEC is organized in Birmingham, Alabama. Where the University of Alabama contends perennially. After 10 years, we are still treated like after thoughts in many ways. It will take UT decades to be favored (in SEC politics) over the good ol' boys - AL, AUB, LSU, UGA, UF, etc. Unlike the Big 12, no one needs UT for anything here. Anything. UT will get booted long before the SEC folds or the good ol' boys give up any real authority.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.