Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

FSU Presidents thoughts on realignment

12,473 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nino Brown
texag713
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2021/07/29/florida-state-fsu-football-john-thrasher-president-university-retiring-acc-ncaa-oklahoma-texas/5415221001/

Reading between the lines here, their outgoing president alludes to the importance of ensuring a seat at the big boy table, recognizing the future relevance of the university is at stake. While being fairly candid here, there are always things you can't say explicitly: They would consider a move to the SEC with Clemson if the right offer came along.
AG
Everybody can't be in the SEC
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Sorry Floridia, Welcome Noles!
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
aggiebrad94
AG
If the NCAA was disbanded and a new super conference was created, they could be.
TMartin
Programs with no in state competition are happy with the new alignment. They need some competition.....now.
SidetrackAg
AG
Screw the gentlemens agreement, let them in now
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
A 2036 GoR contract seems like the end of that conversation...for now.
Tex117
AG
Clemson and FSU! Do it!

Really, it would make for a much stronger conference.

Racer X
AG
Lord NO. I hate the tomahawk chop more than MS's cowbells
The Lost Hondo
AG
There might be something here...

Outside of OU, tu and the SEC, I think most teams and conferences want a different outcome than OU+tu to SEC.

You KNOW conferences and teams across the country are angling for alternative scenarios (PAC12, BIG10, ACC, etc)

A lot can happen before this deal is done.
SidetrackAg
AG
The Lost Hondo said:

There might be something here...

Outside of OU, tu and the SEC, I think most teams and conferences want a different outcome than OU+tu to SEC.

You KNOW conferences and teams across the country are angling for alternative scenarios (PAC12, BIG10, ACC, etc)

A lot can happen before this deal is done.

Absolutely
Rebel Yell
AG
LDA9336 said:

Sorry Floridia, Welcome Noles!

But Oragator assured me that the SEC wouldn't do that to Florida.

“I don’t even sit on the left side of church”
ColoradoMooseHerd
I never understand wanting all the best teams in one conference. People realize that someone is going to lose and no longer be one of the best teams, right? Conferences need vanderbilts and wake forests and Kansases. You need teams to lose in all conferences.
DM44
If Florida State was added soon, how long until Florida State and A&M were matched up?
ESPN would enjoy playing up Coach Fisher for that game.
Rebel Yell
AG
DM44 said:

If Florida State was added soon, how long until Florida State and A&M were matched up?
ESPN would enjoy playing up Coach Fisher for that game.

That would be awesome.

It will definitely be the Game of the Week sponsored by Joe's Crab Shack.
“I don’t even sit on the left side of church”
DallasAg 94
aggiehawg
AG
Racer X said:

Lord NO. I hate the tomahawk chop more than MS's cowbells
Even mute the TV if watching a FSU game. More annoying that Rocky Top.
Saint Arnold
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I never understand wanting all the best teams in one conference. People realize that someone is going to lose and no longer be one of the best teams, right? Conferences need vanderbilts and wake forests and Kansases. You need teams to lose in all conferences.
That's why t.u. is being welcomed in.
Nino Brown
1939 said:

But 4 more will be and FSU and Clemson are next. ESPN and Fox are now merging their inventory into one investment versus too many schools getting money they don't deserve and wouldn't bring in enough should that school make the playoffs.
Nino Brown
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Because it's not NCAA college football anymore. You either bring in money or you don't. A NFL franchise that doesn't bring in enough revenue doesn't get invited to stay in the league. This is going to 2 super conferences at some point whether we like it or not. ESPN and Fox are also merging their investments, at least that's what ESPN is doing now and nothing illegal about it.
hbtheduce
AG
I want Vtech and a NC school. Lots of people living in those states and would be great adds.
Texas A&M
1939 said:

Big10 and and PAC12 combine. SEC grabs Clemson, FSU, Miami, Virginia, and some others. You end up with two super conferences.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

More annoying that Rocky Top.

That's really saying something.
hbtheduce
AG
Texas A&M said:

1939 said:

Big10 and and PAC12 combine. SEC grabs Clemson, FSU, Miami, Virginia, and some others. You end up with two super conferences.

We can call it the cNFC and the cAFC
Sbisa Chef
Clemson, more than anyone else, is deserving of a seat at the SEC table. They're a great fit.

Can we boot out the worst performers? Tenn and Vandy? SC? t.u?
AG
1939 said:

Clemson and FSU are far from "everybody".
HouClone
DallasAg 94 said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

You cut the dead weight.

You move OU & Sips to SEC
KU, KSU, Bay, ISU, OkieSt, WV, Tech, and TCU die.

You add Clemson & FSU to SEC
Teams like NCSt, BC, Pitt, VaTech, Va, Wake, GaTech, Louisville, and Syracuse die.
Sure and then college football ratings drop 25%.
halfastros81
AG
The ACC is either going to up
Their game or lose teams to the Big. If ND (not ACC member) and Ga Tech go Big then the poaching will begin. As far as I'm
Concerned va Tech and Clemson should be top targets. Maybe Nc st. I guess FSU and NC. They can have Uva and Duke and Miami imo. I know NC and Duke are probably a package
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

12 team playoff guarantees SEC 4-5 spots if they expand to 18 or 20. Plus the SEC will have it's own playoff. But eventually, if they keep expanding, they will need to ensure some sort of parity is being implemented. Similar to how most of the NFL operates, besides the Texans.
OriolePete
Already at that with 16 teams. Guaranteed.
LonghornDub
You do remember FSU was glad to get rid of Jimbo? His teams were losing and recruiting was in the toilet.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Reno Hightower
Let'm in! They're a geographical fit!
12thMan9
AG
Sbisa Chef said:

Clemson, more than anyone else, is deserving of a seat at the SEC table. They're a great fit.

Can we boot out the worst performers? Tenn and Vandy? SC? t.u?
How do we rate ahead of UT & tu? Both those schools have won MNC since you were born, Texas A&M hasn't won 1 since ANYBODY on these boards was born.
Ronnie '88
DallasAg 94
Sid Farkas
AG
1939 said:

The SEC B1G ACC and Pac are the only viable conferences in the short term...

its not hard to imagine everyone consolidated into two conferences within a decade: SEC and B1G...cfb's version of the NFC and AFC...

also not hard to imagine squeezing out the NCAA
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.