Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Southlake Carroll's Quinn Evers to forego senior season (NIL)

16,592 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas UIL rules prohibit using NIL to make money so Quinn will forgo his senior year to enroll at Ohio State and start making money. I know folks on this BB are very concerned about tu and OU joining the SEC, but the most serious and far reaching problem is NIL. So, do you expect the UIL to change their rule? Or more players to opt out?

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
HS football is overrated. Not concerned.
Southlake
Ghost of Bizbee said:

HS football is overrated. Not concerned.
HS football directly affects college football.
OilFieldIRI
S
Business Move
BMX Bandit
unless its a situation like here where he needs 1 (or so) class to graduate, I wouldn't think you will see many opt outs.
_mpaul
AG
NIL will be a train wreck. OU and tu to the SEC will just compound the problem for us.

Does anyone really think that some HS football star, of whom most of the general public has never even heard, endorsing a product or service is going to significantly increase sales of that product or service? The whole thing is such a sham and will destroy college football.

Does anyone think whoever paid for the interviews with Spiller and Richardson is going to see any more revenue as a result of those interviews? It's ridiculous.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Sea Speed
AG
Sooooooo, just getting his GED or what? We completely dropping the academic requirement facade?
BMX Bandit
Sea Speed said:

Sooooooo, just getting his GED or what? We completely dropping the academic requirement facade?
he is 1 class short of graduating. is it really any more of a facade to take that class now online then to string it out over a the next year?
Gidnik
he only needs one english class apparently and hes taking that this summer i guess.
KCup17
AG
I don't understand the opting out trend. To me it's a combination of selfishness, entitlement and quitting on your team. And in theory your ranking should drop. A whole year of no game action is huge. No amount of drills or 7 v 7 will make up for the lack of real in game experience.

Reno Hightower
Sea Speed said:

Just call them 'University Employees' and drop the sham that is 'student athlete'.
OilFieldIRI
S
KCup17 said:

I don't understand the opting out trend. To me it's a combination of selfishness, entitlement and quitting on your team. And in theory your ranking should drop. A whole year of no game action is huge. No amount of drills or 7 v 7 will make up for the lack of real in game experience.

That's a great point. Letting Riley down...
Tex117
AG
Sea Speed said:

Might as well. Was smoke and mirrors anyway.
rbcs_2
AG
KCup17 said:

Lack of honor that prevails in our society.
Goose
AG
Opting out is just deciding not to play. ie. opting out of a bowl game. Graduating early to play college football instead of high school football next year is a whole different thing. And Ewers will be a better quarterback in 2022 having spent the 2021 season in Columbus, under Ohio States coaching, learning Ohio States system, etc. than had he stayed in Southlake and thrown for 6,000 yards and 45 touchdowns against HS defenses.
Gaius Rufus
KCup17 said:

You don't understand the financial ramifications to him/his family if he gets hurt playing a meaningless season of high school football?

It isn't selfishness or entitlement, it is risk management.
dcAg
I am very close to the situation. The kid needs 1 class to graduate. He is being deluged with NIL opportunities. I dont blame him on this strategy. He can be somewhat injury prone so why not have a little walking around money in case an injury doesnt allow him to eventually go to the NFL?
Sea Speed
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Sea Speed said:

he is 1 class short of graduating. is it really any more of a facade to take that class now online then to string it out over a the next year?

No not at all, i didn't know it was only one class. Idk why there is even talk of foregoing a senior 'year' for only one class. Thats ridiculous. One class does not a school year make.

Its also ridiculous that an 18 year old in high school can't make money. He is in public school, not receiving benefits like tuition and room and board and such. Can an 18 year old high school gamer make money off his social media? Then why the hell can't a football player? Plenty of child stars make money. This is dumb.
Sea Speed
AG
Tex117 said:

Sea Speed said:

Might as well. Was smoke and mirrors anyway.

Also agree here. Vints is illiterate. What grade level do college players read/write at on average?
EllisCoAg
AG
i am just surprised at the amount of NIL $$$ going to freshmen and players who hadn't played a down yet, just mind boggling.
Mayor West
AG
I wonder how his college linemen will feel about him getting millions of dollars as a freshman with no playing time while they're season conference champions not getting near that amount.
KCup17
AG
It's not a risk management thing. It's an eligibility thing. He has been offered a 7 figure deal for his NIL. As a Texas UIL athlete the law of the state does not allow him to sign the deal. So either make 7 figures and leave high school early or stay in school for another year and forgo the cash for at least a year.
Tex117
AG
Mayor West said:

I wonder how his college linemen will feel about him getting millions of dollars as a freshman with no playing time while they're season conference champions not getting near that amount.
They will go to a school that will pay them that amount.

Or it will create animosity on the team that the coach will need to address.

Colonel A. 1976
AG
I imagine it is extremely difficult to get into college without a diploma. I bet he is an early grad ..so what is the problem with that above those who come in a semester early??
Other than he will be very young and could develop more with another season under his belt as a starter, I am betting this hinders his growth as a QB.
Col. A 1976
Gaius Rufus
KCup17 said:

It's not a risk management thing. It's an eligibility thing. He has been offered a 7 figure deal for his NIL. As a Texas UIL athlete the law of the state does not allow him to sign the deal. So either make 7 figures and leave high school early or stay in school for another year and forgo the cash for at least a year.
I'm not sure if you are serious with your first sentence, but, that is absolutely risk management.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Sea Speed said:

Basically, yes. This is the future of sports. The NCAA (everyone but the labor gets paid) model got smacked down by SCOTUS and our athletes will now start to work like the rest of the world: you join the professional ranks when you are able to do so, not after you've jumped through a bunch of hoops.

Tying athletics to education is crazy nonsense.

The quaint world where "student athletes" went to college with hopes of an NFL payday are over.
Ugly
AG
NIL will have a lot of bad impacts, but I don't think that encouraging high school kids to get their degrees a year early is one of them. That is massively dwarfed by the huge financial incentive we are giving college kids to throw away a free degree to gamble on their draft position.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
A million bucks is worth a lot more than a free degree.

Faustus
rbcs_2 said:

KCup17 said:

Lack of honor that prevails in our society.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/will-americas-no-1-qb-recruit-quinn-ewers-give-up-7-figure-nil-offers-for-one-more-season-of-texas-high-school-football-200803437.html

Quote:

. . .
In Ewers' two varsity seasons at Southlake Carroll, he has thrown for 73 touchdowns and 6,445 yards, statistics diminished by playing six fewer games as a junior after surgery on a core muscle injury.
. . .
He's already started two years for the team. In what world does honor require he forgo $1,000,000 now to play another year in high school when he only needs one English credit he can take over the summer to graduate?

Blame the state of Texas for legislating that he's not allowed to make money off his likeness, which seems like a pretty business friendly thing to do.
KCup17
AG
For clarification I'm talking about injury risk management. Yes I understand the financial implications of it all. From my understanding of the situation, his decision has less to do with the injury factor of a senior year and more so to do with eligibility concerns and building equity as an 18 yr old.

Edit: I also didn't realize that he would be eligible to play in the 2021 season. I originally thought he had to sit out a whole year. Knowing that I'd probably skip my senior year too.
KCup17
AG
At what point do we think that the NIL effects will trickle down into the grass roots level of football? I'm talking those middle schoolers who have offers in hand. At some point Texas Legislature is going to have to change or amend their ruling on NIL and Eligibility.
Actual Talking Thermos
I knew kids in HS who graduated early, having nothing to do with football. If this kid is in a position to do that, there's nothing dishonest or dishonorable about it.

And as far as football goes, he's got nothing left to prove at the high school level. If he's ready to take the next step in his education and playing career, why shouldn't he? And then there's the part where he's got a chance to start pulling down six or seven figures right now. Wouldn't it be kind of irresponsible of him to put that in jeopardy, even if the risk is small, considering that the potential upside is winning some more HS football games?
Macarthur
It's weird to me that some have such a negative reaction to this, esp attacking the kid's character.

How about this scenario. Let's say your kid is a genius and is a high level computer programer. Google or who ever, offers him a million bucks as a HS junior. You telling me you wouldn't take that opportunity? I get that this is a in a team environment, but it makes no sense to be upset with the kid and his family for making this decision.
Meaux92
Graduating early is not opting out. I believe we have a young man on our roster that graduated a year early.
Rudyjax
AG
Poor Riley Dodge. Loses to his old man then loses his stud QB.

Couldn't happen to a better dude.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.