Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bowlsby making claims about tortious interference

6,482 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rljtamu
FriskyGardenGnome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is getting good. As everyone here was saying, the B12 would need to implode to get tu and ou out of exit fees. Well, they apparently had a plan for that.

Bowlsby has been busy making the media round claiming ESPN has conspired to get the AAC to take enough B12 teams to effectively dissolve the B12 prior to the expiration of GoR.

The best part is he claims to have "irrefutable" evidence.

https://www.frogsowar.com/2021/7/28/22599043/bob-bowlsby-accuses-espn-of-tortious-interference

All that said, I say this is a done deal. Although, I would like to see his "proof".
Rebel Yell
AG
Release the Kracken!!!!
“I don’t even sit on the left side of church”
BMX Bandit
There's already a thread. (And you posted on it)
Kenneth_2003
AG
Just based on the back and forth I've seen presented here on TexAgs (and trying to decipher through the clutter) I've had a hunch there was some basis for tortuous interference all along with ESPN being party to all of the TV renegotiations that would be forthcoming from all of this.

It might (and probably will) all still go forward, but if there's any smoke behind all of this dust it would seem prudent to tap the brakes for a bit.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Easier to find the Bowlsby tweets all in one place here. Move along, pumpkin.
MaxPower
gotsand said:

This is getting good. As everyone here was saying, the B12 would need to implode to get tu and ou out of exit fees. Well, they apparently had a plan for that.

Bowlsby has been busy making the media round claiming ESPN has conspired to get the AAC to take enough B12 teams to effectively dissolve the B12 prior to the expiration of GoR.

The best part is he claims to have "irrefutable" evidence.

https://www.frogsowar.com/2021/7/28/22599043/bob-bowlsby-accuses-espn-of-tortious-interference

All that said, I say this is a done deal. Although, I would like to see his "proof".

Doing the only thing he can do, which is get the remaining little ten members the biggest payout possible before they fade into oblivion.
greg.w.h
AG
ESPN appearing to work both sides of an effort to bring about dissolution of a conference suggests ESPN cannot be trusted with fiducial responsibilities. Not worthy of trust but feel free to take the money until they sell you out. H wait.
whatthehey78
AG
greg.w.h said:

ESPN appearing to work both sides of an effort to bring about dissolution of a conference suggests ESPN cannot be trusted with fiducial responsibilities. Not worthy of trust but feel free to take the money until they sell you out. H wait.
ESPN (Disney puppet), so yeah...not trust worthy...Con-artist, and not a very good one actually.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
wbt5845
AG
black_ice
gotsand said:

Easier to find the Bowlsby tweets all in one place here. Move along, pumpkin.

He keeping a spreadsheet on you my bro
rootube
AG
Of course ESPN wants the B12 to disband. I hope they can all hold the line and milk every dime out of ESPN.
Buck Turgidson
I hate the evil mouse and its band of commies at ESPN.
MSCAg
AG
I wondering if he is hoping he can find something in discovery or just angling for a settlement.
_______________________________________________________ O Fortuna, velut Luna, statu variabilis, semper crescis, aut decrescis;
aggiehawg
AG
rootube said:

Of course ESPN wants the B12 to disband. I hope they can all hold the line and milk every dime out of ESPN.
So does Fox Sports. And that is what is killing the little eights chances with the PAC and the B1G. No value added to justify bringing them on.

If this were happening in 2023, instead of 2021 there wouldn't be as much potential exposure here.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
So, demonstrating damages seems like the easy part. Proving interference seems like the hard part unless someone got careless on government email or otherwise.

I hope the B12 lays down at least some of their cards after the vote. I have a feeling they've got nothing concrete, and he ran to the media out of desperation. Fun stuff.

whatthehey78
AG
If/when B12 sues for (I suppose) "tortious interference", can they not subpoena phone records from the likes of ESPN, ACC, SEC/Sankey, etc.?
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
aggiehawg
AG
Best case scenario for Bowlsby, the Big XII survives by adding some teams most likely from the AAC and ESPN renegotiates a new contract. Not at 35 million per team but maybe 25 million? Sooners and sips pay 15 million a piece for exit fees?

That would be a clean way to end the mess they have created and end it quickly.
A-A Ron
aggiehawg said:

Best case scenario for Bowlsby, the Big XII survives by adding some teams most likely from the AAC and ESPN renegotiates a new contract. Not at 35 million per team but maybe 25 million? Sooners and sips pay 15 million a piece for exit fees?

Why end it quickly. Make ESPN, t.u., blow U suffer a long drawn out process.
whatthehey78
AG
aggiehawg said:

ONLY change I'd make = "Markup" factor (x 2) on each payout.
Iowaggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

Several people believe the ESPN would rather put that money into an AAC-Big 12 merged conference, which would be better for the AAC teams, and honestly, better for the teams in the Big 12 that don't end up somewhere else, but clearly not as good as what they had with the old media deal.

How much did WV pay to leave the Big East?
Kingsnake1
If only he had been this active and visible for the prior 10 years
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

How much did WV pay to leave the Big East?
Right about 20 million. Big East withheld their scheduled 9+ million distribution and then the Big XII loaned the other 10 million.
Deplorable
Brick by brick

esipn is taking apart the big12
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

In fact, the Big 12's bylaws are written in such a way that -- if there is even one member remaining -- a program can individually sue any of the entities in this discussion -- the SEC, the AAC or even ESPN.

Leaning on the "disinterested directors" clause in its bylaws, the Big 12 intends to make the migration of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as difficult as possible.

After losing four teams in the last round of conference realignment a decade ago, those bylaws were drafted in 2012 to stand for a period of 99 years. Texas and Oklahoma were part of the group who, according to one source, wanted the longest agreement possible.

That last round of realignment led to the Big 12 registering itself as a corporation in the state of Delaware. That helps prevent the case from being heard in Texas where the University of Texas might have a legal advantage.

"Oklahoma and Texas are going to do everything they can to get out of the grant of rights and get out of the bylaw stipulations. It's going to be a long process," Bowlsby told CBS Sports.
Maybe Baylor gets the last laugh?
Shoefly!
AG
Aaron4885 said:

aggiehawg said:

Why end it quickly. Make ESPN, t.u., blow U suffer a long drawn out process.

I like the way you think.
SidetrackAg
AG
Actual Talking Thermos
The part I still don't get is this: the terms of the B12 contract explicitly give the member schools the power to dissolve the conference and sets out a procedure for how they can do that, right? So if it's something the member schools have an explicit right to do under the terms of the contract, how can it be a breach of the contract for them to do it? And if dissolving the conference isn't breaching the contract, then how could ESPN be unlawfully interfering with the contract by saying the members should consider dissolving it? Can Verizon be sued for advertising that they'll pay the buyout on my AT&T contract if I cancel it and sign a new one with them?

Plus I just read somewhere that the term of the B12's contract with the schools (not the TV rights contract) is 99 years. So it kind of had to be the assumption going in that that some day, whenever this arrangement did eventually end, the end would come via a vote to dissolve. Like it's not just allowed, it's expected.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Except that ESPN is being accused of trying to dissolve the league in order to circumvent the terms of the contract; i.e., avoid exit fees.
Actual Talking Thermos
gotsand said:

Except that ESPN is being accused of trying to dissolve the league in order to circumvent the terms of the contract; i.e., avoid exit fees.
As I understand it, the terms of the contract provide for dissolving the league without paying exit fees if enough members vote to dissolve. Dissolving the conference via the procedure provided for in the contract can't be "circumventing the contract," it's just pursuing one option provided by the contract over another. And no member school that votes to dissolve is going to be doing it for the sake of saving Texas and OU money (outside of Texas and OU, if we still get a vote). If they vote to dissolve it will be because they decided dissolving and joining/forming a different conference will benefit them more than staying put and collecting their share of the exit fee money.
aggiehawg
AG
ActualTalkingThermos said:

gotsand said:

As I understand it, the terms of the contract provide for dissolving the league without paying exit fees if enough members vote to dissolve. Dissolving the conference via the procedure provided for in the contract can't be "circumventing the contract," it's just pursuing one option provided by the contract over another. And no member school that votes to dissolve is going to be doing it for the sake of saving Texas and OU money (outside of Texas and OU, if we still get a vote). If they vote to dissolve it will be because they decided dissolving and joining/forming a different conference will benefit them more than staying put and collecting their share of the exit fee money.
Hint: Neither of you get a vote.
Faustus
You're practically SEC members already.
A-A Ron
SidetrackAg said:

Isn't a strong response considered basically an admission of guilt. We all know they were involved just not sure how much.
aggiehawg
AG
Aaron4885 said:

SidetrackAg said:

Isn't a strong response considered basically an admission of guilt. We all know they were involved just not sure how much.
That really is not a strong response, either.
Rebel Yell
AG
aggiehawg said:

Aaron4885 said:

SidetrackAg said:

That really is not a strong response, either.

I think it is a very strong response. I truly believe this will put the matter to rest.

Well done ESPN.
“I don’t even sit on the left side of church”
aggiehawg
AG
Sorry, my sarcasm meter has been tested too much in the last week. Getting harder to tell.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.