Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Laugh now, sure, but a couple years from now horns will be their usual selves

7,401 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Houstonag
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Destroying the league. Winning against them isn't enough. We need admins who can stand up and not take it on the chain repeatedly.

Tired of A&M being "nice".
My Name Is Judge
WorkTogetherAgs
AG
Problem is, sips have influence over the refs
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Exactly.
Alpha Texan
AG
Get a dog!
VOLvo
WorkTogetherAgs said:

As an old SEC guy, have you seen ANY evidence the SEC tolerates that kind of crap? There were rumors, likely true, in the late 70s to mid 80s but that kind of thing is obvious on the big stage and destroys a conference.

I don't think the SEC will tolerate it. I don't think reviews make it easy either.

Obviously, I can't predict the future but I can't see Texas getting anything but fined by the conference if they approach SEC referees.
Howdy Dammit
AG
WorkTogetherAgs said:

Everyone keeps saying this, and yes, they have received some big calls in the past. But the reality is, we are tied against them since the mid 70s. Have a hard time believing the best they could do is 50/50 spilt for almost 40 years.
Dilettante
I thought all the "little brother" accusations from the sips were just trash talk, but it appears from this board that it was all true. You guys are a bunch of pansies.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
VOLvo said:

WorkTogetherAgs said:

As an old SEC guy, have you seen ANY evidence the SEC tolerates that kind of crap? There were rumors, likely true, in the late 70s to mid 80s but that kind of thing is obvious on the big stage and destroys a conference.

I don't think the SEC will tolerate it. I don't think reviews make it easy either.

Obviously, I can't predict the future but I can't see Texas getting anything but fined by the conference if they approach SEC referees.

Remember John Bible? The bull**** targeting penalty when we played Clemson and nearly beat their ass? He was an SEC ref from Austin. Go ****ing figure
Win At Life
AG
I don't mind taking it on the chain and long as we don't take it on the rope.
AvidAggie
AG
O look another Ghost of Bizbee thread.

Win At Life
AG
VOLvo said:

WorkTogetherAgs said:

Wait a minute. You're telling me you haven't seen PI's, holding and no-calls (all of which are not reviewable) go prefernetially for SEC programs that are in the NC/playoff picture since the 1980's? Surely you jest. That shouldn't be up for much debate. It happens. The OP concern is that tu might be able to work similar preferential treatment even when they're not in the NC picture (like they've done at every conference they've been in sine the 1800's). If you don't believe they'll try, then you're extremely naive. That also shouldn't be a question. The question is how successful will the be at it?
Ag_B_10
AG
Their usual selves? Haven't they always menstruated and played with dildos?
Gaius Julius Bevo
Win At Life said:

Wait a minute. You're telling me you haven't seen PI's, holding and no-calls (all of which are not reviewable) go prefernetially for SEC programs that are in the NC/playoff picture since the 1980's? Surely you jest. That shouldn't be up for much debate. It happens. The OP concern is that tu might be able to work similar preferential treatment even when they're not in the NC picture (like they've done at every conference they've been in sine the 1800's). If you don't believe they'll try, then you're extremely naive. That also shouldn't be a question. The question is how successful will the be at it?
You think Texas has a secret deal with Big 12 refs to get special treatment? LOL. Could have used a few calls going our way in the Okie State game in 2017.
VOLvo
Win At Life said:

VOLvo said:

WorkTogetherAgs said:

Do SEC coaches "work the refs?" Of course, and that's a part of the game. Does it lead to getting the benefit of the doubt? Sometimes..... and again, that's why good coaches "work the refs." That's part of it.

Do SEC schools PAY the refs off? I don't believe it. Can the SEC office in Birmingham be bought to put someone biased in the replay booth? I don't buy it.

I'm not looking to start a fight but this line seems a little far fetched and frankly, whiny.

"They're going to cheat us." Whip they're butts like you can and don't let them live in your head. This from a guy who has watched Bama destroy us for nearly 2 decades. It's not because they cheat..... it's because we're not good enough.
hunter2012
AG
VOLvo said:

WorkTogetherAgs said:

How about the fact that this whole agreement was done by cloak and dagger and they had Snakey and the SEC office leave us out of the conversation. This played exactly towards texas' MO. If their entrance was exactly on texas' terms and methods why do you think "it will be different in the SEC?"
VOLvo
hunter2012 said:

VOLvo said:

WorkTogetherAgs said:

How about the fact that this whole agreement was done by cloak and dagger and they had Snakey and the SEC office leave us out of the conversation. This played exactly towards texas' MO. If their entrance was exactly on texas' terms and methods why do you think "it will be different in the SEC?"

I think you got screwed by your admins.

I think Sankey could and might produce emails, conference call transcripts/recordings, and/or Zoom logs showing who knew what and when.

I don't think the SEC screwed the Aggies and that's why the admins changed their tunes. Sankey probably sent them evidence and said "F around and find out if I'll release these records of you knowing."
WorkTogetherAgs
AG
hunter2012 said:

VOLvo said:

WorkTogetherAgs said:

This
Onceaggie2.0
Last time we played them a phantom Personal foul call that led to a game winning FG enjoy
wisdom
AG

85AustinAg
AG
Referees are the least of our worries.

Its the behind the back dealing, back stabbing, and always looking out for #1 with their money and pedigree that they will throw around that is the bigger concern. Pod or division creation, scheduling, bowl assignments, tournament locations, championship guidelines - this is the stuff to be concerned with because it was this kind of one sidedness that drove Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and A&M out of the Big 12. They'll come in trying to throw their weight around. How that is tolerated by the Alabamas, Floridas, and LSU's will be interesting to watch. Hell if the sips can convince enough of the other SEC members that their way is the best way (whatever that might be) the sips may jump right into the "power" echelon of SEC Athletics. We really have no idea what the SEC brass is thinking and how they may be influenced going forward.

That's the frickin' concern.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
85AustinAg said:

Referees are the least of our worries.

Its the behind the back dealing, back stabbing, and always looking out for #1 with their money and pedigree that they will throw around that is the bigger concern. Pod or division creation, scheduling, bowl assignments, tournament locations, championship guidelines - this is the stuff to be concerned with because it was this kind of one sidedness that drove Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and A&M out of the Big 12. They'll come in trying to throw their weight around. How that is tolerated by the Alabamas, Floridas, and LSU's will be interesting to watch. Hell if the sips can convince enough of the other SEC members that their way is the best way (whatever that might be) the sips may jump right into the "power" echelon of SEC Athletics. We really have no idea what the SEC brass is thinking and how they may be influenced going forward.

That's the frickin' concern.

POTD
Aggie Dad Sip
So let me see if I've unpacked all this correctly: Texas is a narcissistic bully that only looks out for itself and destroys anything that disagrees with it, i.e., the SWC and the Big 12. They also cheat to ensure success.

- however -

Even though Texas is the big bad jerk bully with the refs in its pocket and bagmen galore out buying recruits, the team is only 78-60 in the last 11 seasons and 52-45 in a conference considered so bad y'all refer to it is the big dumpster fire. In fact, since 1971 Texas has been average to bad in 33 of 50 seasons.

How does a school that average with that little success - only one national championship and 12 conference championships in 50 year - get to run anything?
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
"We are the Joneses," - Deloss Dodd
aggiehawg
AG
OK_Sip said:

So let me see if I've unpacked all this correctly: Texas is a narcissistic bully that only looks out for itself and destroys anything that disagrees with it, i.e., the SWC and the Big 12. They also cheat to ensure success.

- however -

Even though Texas is the big bad jerk bully with the refs in its pocket and bagmen galore out buying recruits, the team is only 78-60 in the last 11 seasons and 52-45 in a conference considered so bad y'all refer to it is the big dumpster fire. In fact, since 1971 Texas has been average to bad in 33 of 50 seasons.

How does a school that average with that little success - only one national championship and 12 conference championships in 50 year - get to run anything?
You must be young. Too young to remember the SWC nor the formation of the Big XII.
FL_Ag1998
AG
OK_Sip said:

- however -

Because since you fired Mac you've hired literal ******s to coach your team, that's how! If you guys didn't have the refs covering for you the past decade you'd be sub 0.500 in the 2010's, if not the past 30 years.

Think about that. You've had to get favorable calls just to reach mediocrity. Hell, look no further than the league deciding the Horns Down sign was punishable by an on the field penalty. How do you explain that, mother****er, if its not favorable treatment?

GTFO of here with the oh-so-innocent act. Nobody, NOBODY, buys that.
Howdy Dammit
AG
OK_Sip said:

- however -

jimmo
Aggie Dad Sip
Actually I'm 50 and I've been paying attention. I've seen Texas throw its weight around, but I never understood why the other schools let it happen. Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and Texas A&M all left their respective conferences for greener pastures and blamed Texas on the way out. Yet for most of that time - except for Mack's run from 2001-2009 - Texas was just another middling program.

Yet I keep reading here that Texas was this lying cheating 900 lb gorilla that had unlimited funds and unlimited power. If that's the case, why do they lose so much? Y'all could've stayed in the Big 12, and judging by the posts on this site, played for the conference championship for the last 10 years in a row. Win half of them and you would've been in the BCSNCG or the CFP five times.

Yet somehow and average program with an annoyingly big ego chased you off to the SEC. How?
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Go ask those on the Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri forums their opinions.

Didn't you call into Finebaum yesterday?
rootube
AG
We need a special safe space for people who are ****ting themselves over playing in the same conference again. New/Old Rivalries board perhaps. It's happening, and soon by the sounds of it. We are going to wreck them on the field in one of the most anticipated and watched games in the history of our program and everyone can get back to normal.
vander54
S
OK_Sip said:

Actually I'm 50 and I've been paying attention. I've seen Texas throw its weight around, but I never understood why the other schools let it happen. Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and Texas A&M all left their respective conferences for greener pastures and blamed Texas on the way out. Yet for most of that time - except for Mack's run from 2001-2009 - Texas was just another middling program.

Yet I keep reading here that Texas was this lying cheating 900 lb gorilla that had unlimited funds and unlimited power. If that's the case, why do they lose so much? Y'all could've stayed in the Big 12, and judging by the posts on this site, played for the conference championship for the last 10 years in a row. Win half of them and you would've been in the BCSNCG or the CFP five times.

Yet somehow and average program with an annoyingly big ego chased you off to the SEC. How?

Ok sip

If you were paying attention you would understand that Arky left the SWC because of tu. Nebraska/Colorado left the Big 12 because of tu/OU having majority of the power. Same for A&M and Missouri. The thing is all tried to make it work but there was 1 common denominator that didn't. I'll let you guess who
Aggie Dad Sip
The horns down penalty is laughably stupid and I don't know a single Texas fan that agrees with it. If horns down is taunting then horns up should be as well.

As for refs cheating for Texas to keep them respectable, that's just silly. Refs make a lot of mistakes, but I've only ever seen one game that I thought they were in the bag for the winning team and that was when Oklahoma State beat Texas in Austin in 2015. Thanks Boone.
aggiehawg
AG
OK_Sip said:

Charles Alan Wright. He protected tu from the NCAA while siccing them instead on their SWC mates. Beat Texas badly, get put on probation by the NCAA.

The formation of the Big XII. Dodds was aided by Bullock's insistence on having tech and Baylor join and that made a voting block. (Which A&M participated in more often than not.) Moving the conference HQs, naming the Commissioners, running off the ones that didn't kow-tow to Dodds. Weiberg wanted to have a conference network in the early 2000s. Quicker than a fart in a dust storm, he was gone. Eliminating partial qualifiers that pissed the hell out of Osbourne and Nebraska. Just for starters.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.