Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What do the PAC 12 and Big 10 do now

6,153 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dcAg
DL76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
between now and 2025? Surely, they won't sit idle and not make a move. What other big programs are left after OU and UT to size up? After Notre Dame and Clemson, the pickens start to fall off for a variety of reasons.

I'd like to see UT move to the PAC 12 - more of a fit there, and OU to the Big 10.
UltimateSuperGenius
The Okies don't have the academics for the Big 10. tu is not coming to the SEC. I think tu ends up in the Big 10 with Kansas.
Panama Red
AG
UltimateSuperGenius said:

The Okies don't have the academics for the Big 10. tu is not coming to the SEC. I think tu ends up in the Big 10 with Kansas.
Username does not check out.
MSCAg
AG
I assume the PAC goes after Tech and maybe TCU or OSU.

I think Kansas and another may get picked up by the ACC. I never know what to predict from the BIG10.

I think Baylor and some others are about to face a harsh reality.
_______________________________________________________ O Fortuna, velut Luna, statu variabilis, semper crescis, aut decrescis;
stillmerk
AG
Are you saying they won't have the votes or that they'll back out/go somewhere else?
BillYeoman
PAC might go after Tech, UH, Okie St and KU
agent-maroon
AG
BillYeoman said:

One of these thing is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PascalsWager
AG
MSCAg said:

I think Kansas and another may get picked up by the ACC. I never know what to predict from the BIG10.

When these clowns beg for PAC membership it'll go down the same as when the average student at these schools applies to UCLA or Cal:

The admissions people will laugh uncontrollably privately and send a polite rejection letter.
MSCAg
AG
Apparently various sources saying the Big10 not interested in expansion.
_______________________________________________________ O Fortuna, velut Luna, statu variabilis, semper crescis, aut decrescis;
Showstopper
AG
Can't just find plum targets like Maryland and Rutgers every day.
aggiehawg
AG
Saw the new PAC commish an hour or so ago. He gave an announcement that the PAC was not interested in expansion but have received inquiries that they will listen to. Expected it may take some time and there would be no more information disseminated about the subject of expansion.
SidetrackAg
AG
MSCAg said:

Because the Big10 is dumb
aggiehawg
AG
SidetrackAg said:

MSCAg said:

Because the Big10 is dumb
No, they are not interested in being the one that starts megaconferences by throwing more chum in the water.

That also means Kansas and Iowa State are without a home.
PascalsWager
AG
Quote:

I don't really understand this idea. Rutgers are Maryland are the only show in town is a big state. They have tons of alumni and plenty of fans. The Big 10 didn't let them get in the good eating for a while. But now they're getting the money and both programs are on the upward trajectory.

Its all contingent on being good, of course. If Rutgers and Maryland are good, its more interesting nationally and in their localities than any upside of the "other 8" have. Even if any of them are good, it barely makes a blip.
Iowaggie
AG
Not sure they need to do anything.
If the Big Ten had grabbed OU and Texas, I don't think the SEC would have needed to respond.

The way to keep the quality of the average team high is to only invite excellent programs. The Big Ten's last move of Maryland and Rutgers brought the league down.

However, if the Big Ten wanted to grab two teams, I think they would be Kansas and Pittsburgh.

If the Pac wanted two teams, it would be Kansas and Iowa State. It at least gets them 3 time zones.

All 3 of those schools are AAU schools, and the location for Kansas and Iowa State makes them decent traveling partners for non-revenue sports.

But none of those moves are that interesting to me.
agent-maroon
AG
Big 10 and PAC shouldn't be in any hurry to break up the B12 & get sip and sooner off the financial hook. They're just telling them they have to wait until 2025 like they are contractually obligated to or pay the penalty and take the financial hit for leaving early. They can always pick up one of the orphans after the breakup.

Win-win for them. Smart really. Let's see what the ACC might be willing to do.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Iowaggie
AG
PascalsWager said:

Quote:

I don't really understand this idea. Rutgers are Maryland are the only show in town is a big state. They have tons of alumni and plenty of fans. The Big 10 didn't let them get in the good eating for a while. But now they're getting the money and both programs are on the upward trajectory.

Maryland and Rutgers are the only college shows in states that care more about pro sports.
I think it is the same issue that Houston, TCU, and SMU have at a more local level.
oldcrow91
AG
MSCAg said:

Why would they unless they get 4 great ones from the pac 12?
MaxPower
Yup. People in Maryland probably care more about the Naval Academy than the Terps.
Macarthur
PascalsWager said:

MSCAg said:

When these clowns beg for PAC membership it'll go down the same as when the average student at these schools applies to UCLA or Cal:

The admissions people will laugh uncontrollably privately and send a polite rejection letter.

Not sure I follow what you mean here.

Colorado, Wash St and Utah aren't exactly Harvard. TCU & Baylor are top 100 schools.

Tech and OSU aren't strong academically, but if the PAC12 is too snooty about this, they will absolutely fail.

I think they should move forward with TT, OSU, TCU & Baylor. TT has a strong alumni base in DFW and OSU, TCU & Baylor have a decent footprint when taken together. It would give them a decent footprint in Texas and I don't see any better options for them if they want to keep the PAC12 together.

Now, if USC & Oregon want to try and splinter off and do something else, all bets are off.
DM44
BIG and PAC12 say they are not looking to expand.

For the BIG - this is leverage. They will see who shows interest and weigh the school's value. If agreeable to the BIG, they will extend an offer similar to Nebraska's. How many years before the Huskers were a full partner?

For the PAC12, this may mean the tv networks have already said no to expansion.

Macarthur
DM44 said:

BIG and PAC12 say they are not looking to expand.

For the BIG - this is leverage. They will see who shows interest and weigh the school's value. If agreeable to the BIG, they will extend an offer similar to Nebraska's. How many years before the Huskers were a full partner?

For the PAC12, this may mean the tv networks have already said no to expansion.

Where did you get that impression?
Post removed:
by user
Showstopper
AG
PascalsWager said:

Quote:

Its all contingent on being good, of course. If Rutgers and Maryland are good, its more interesting nationally and in their localities than any upside of the "other 8" have. Even if any of them are good, it barely makes a blip.
I'm going to go out in a limb and say hardly anyone watches their games. I will admit, however, that I did see part of two Maryland games a couple years ago, though, and I did have a very enjoyable time during both.
Post removed:
by user
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I'm going to go out in a limb and say hardly anyone watches their games. I will admit, however, that I did see part of two Maryland games a couple years ago, though, and I did have a very enjoyable time during both.
Maryland should have never let Ralph Friedgen go. Just like Kansas should not have fired Mangino. What is about the fatties getting fired? When they are the best coaches those programs have ever had?
TAMU74
AG
MSCAg said:

Why isn't baylor suing tu and ou?
They couldn't wait to sue us when we announced we were leaving.
Also, I have always heard that the OK legislature would not let ou go anywhere w/o little brother.
Why so silent on all fronts?
TAMU74
AG
UltimateSuperGenius said:

I hope you are correct on this.
What makes you so sure?
twk
AG
There is not a move available to either league at this time that would pay for itself by getting their TV partners to increase their payout enough to maintain each current member`s pro rata share, much less increase it. Might be a different story in the next decade when the ACC grant of rights expires, but any other move would be panicky.
oragator
They are saying they aren't looking to fit 2 reasons.
First is that's horrid BD any other add is a net loss, unless the Big 10 could pull USC.
But the second reason is that they don't want to get sued for destroying a conference or tv deal. Same reason we didn't say a peep about your joining until You applied, and did the same this week.
Notice though what the Pac 12 said. Essentially that they aren't looking but we would hear offers. It's very purposeful. If the right deal comes they would not jump, just slim pickings right now.
aggiehawg
AG
twk said:

There is not a move available to either league at this time that would pay for itself by getting their TV partners to increase their payout enough to maintain each current member`s pro rata share, much less increase it. Might be a different story in the next decade when the ACC grant of rights expires, but any other move would be panicky.
But what I don't really understand is why the B1G turned down the package deal of tu and OU this past February if the money was there? Yeah, OU is not AAU but the numbers work for the B1G if they work for the SEC, correct?

That's why I seriously doubt the #s being presented by ESPN. Fox Sports sure weren't seeing those numbers and were happy to watch the sooners and sips go to ESPN. Doesn't make financial sense.

Someone is lying.
CrockerAg98
AG
agent-maroon said:

BillYeoman said:

I THINK UH is the largest undergrad of the 4, and ranks just behind KU, but ahead of osu and tech (Per US News rankings, for whatever they're worth).

Also, cougar high has the second most wins in football over the last 10 years (OSU way out in front, but houston has 20 more than tech over that span).

I don't see UH in the PAC, but there may be a stronger argument than I would have thought.
UTExan
MSCAg said:

Pac 12 has some academic standards as a barrier. Most of their schools except for ASU, OSU and WSU are members of the AAU. They take it seriously and haven't been inviting to religious schools either. Tech also doesn't have the research bona fides. I would be very surprised if any school left behind in the Big 12 gets an invite. If anything, San Diego State and or BYU would be stronger candidates, despite the current preferences of the membership.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BillYeoman
CrockerAg98 said:

agent-maroon said:

BillYeoman said:

I THINK UH is the largest undergrad of the 4, and ranks just behind KU, but ahead of osu and tech (Per US News rankings, for whatever they're worth).

Also, cougar high has the second most wins in football over the last 10 years (OSU way out in front, but houston has 20 more than tech over that span).

I don't see UH in the PAC, but there may be a stronger argument than I would have thought.

UH has a larger research budget than any remaining Big12 school. Smack dab in the soon to be 3rd largest city in the U.S. Direct flights from pretty much every PAC program. If it is a long term decision the PAC should absolutely add Tech and UH. Tech benefited from inclusion into the Big 12. UH will go to a whole different level if included in the PAC.
JW
AG
They should merge
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.