Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Official Process

9,509 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiehawg
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So there are many wild claims here like "is there a vote today" and "what were the totals" and so on. There is a process here. Weigh in if someone thinks I've missed something

1. Texas and OU will officially notify the Big XII Conference office that they do not intend to extend the GOR past July 1, 2025. They may also straight up say they're going to shop their rights elsewhere at the same time as well. Neither of these actions have officially occured yet, even though there's been tons of smoke. This is supposedly happening early this week.

2. Texas and OU will then get with their soon to be ex-conference mates to work something out. Any potential conferences will want assurances from the remaining 8 that Texas and OU are free and clear to pursue any contractual arrangements they wish.

Texas and OU are likely going to encourage their other conference mates to liquidate the Big XII ASAP, this nulling GOR. The other schools in the conference that may HAVE a Power 5 home will be motivated to do so and secure their own seat at the big boy table. We are looking at Kansas, Ok. State, Tech, West Va and Iowa State to go along.

There will be much anguished squealing from Baylor, TCU and Kansas State. Not everyone else will necessarily have a seat either. But money will likely placate a lot of this.

This process will likely take 2-3 weeks.

3. Texas and OU will need to work out deals to abrogate their contracts for their Tier 3 rights. This will be going on at the same time as their Big XII negotiations.

4. Once assurances are achieved, Texas and OU will formally petition the SEC. The SEC then will need to go to the TV providers and work with them to see how this would modify/alter existing media deals. This info will be presented to the Board (university presidents) for a vote. 3/4, or 11 votes are required to approve. Each school has to be approved separately. This process will take about a month.

5. The actual date of departure and reformation, and the shape of that, will be negotiated. This took about a month last time.
AgBQ-00
AG
Yep. Good rundown
aggiehawg
AG
You are essentially correct. However, there was not the complication of the GOR when we left. And the issue of the GOR was not a factor when Maryland left the ACC for the B1G, either. Uncharted waters on that.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
The other Big 12 schools will absolutely make cow and OU play there through 2024 football season and 2025 spring sports, there is zero question about that.

Kenneth_2003
AG
I can't weigh in on all of the TV side of things, but yes that does appear to be the process outline.

AgBQ-00
AG
THAT would be hysterical to watch. Can you imagine how uncomfortable games with visiting fans would be? I don't see how that would be tenable.
greg.w.h
AG
The Tier 3 rights are acquired. Just like they did with the current 14. In the case of the LHN ESPN already controls those rights through 2030. Bally (Sinclair actually and formerly Fox SW RSN) controls OU's and it expires in 2022 which is when both are likely join at the end of the 2021-2022 academic year. The GOR applies to Tier 1/2 of course.

Source for 2022 contract year and confirmation of Bally rights owner:

Post by this guy:

" kopp0e
Posted on Feb 9th, 9:06 PM, , User Since 27 months ago, User Post Count: 224
Feb 9th, 9:06 PM
27 months
Fox does not own Oklahoma 3rd tier, (Disney bought the rights & was forced by DOJ...

(Reuters) - Walt Disney Co said on Friday it would sell its interests in 21 regional sports networks and Fox College Sports to Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc for $9.6 billion, a deal that clears the way for its purchase of Twenty-First Century Fox Inc's film and television assets.

Likewise Sinclair then went & forged a recent deal with Bally's to brand FSOK/ FSSW...

Nineteen total RSNs will be rebranded: Bally Sports Arizona, Bally Sports Detroit, Bally Sports Florida, Bally Sports Great Lakes, Bally Sports Kansas City, Bally Sports Indiana, Bally Sports Midwest, Bally Sports New Orleans, Bally Sports North, Bally Sports Ohio, Bally Sports Oklahoma, Bally Sports San Diego, Bally Sports SoCal, Bally Sports South, Bally Sports Southeast, Bally Sports Southwest, Bally Sports Sun, Bally Sports West, and Bally Sports Wisconsin.

Meanwhile.. Disney has been airing some OU home game content on ESPN+ as well..."

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/board/103683/Contents/ou-tier-3-rights-update-160656841/

Apologies to TexAgs for the numbers link. I think you see it is relevant.
NTAS
Jarrin' Jay said:

The other Big 12 schools will absolutely make cow and OU play there through 2024 football season and 2025 spring sports, there is zero question about that.

Superlatives are always wrong, EVERY time

But seriously, as previous poster noted, other schools are motivated to jump ship fast, which would dissolve B12 and negate their contracts.
greg.w.h
AG
No. But they do collect the revenue if they don't.
Get Off My Lawn
I get that it's a fantasy, but I'd love to see t.u. given the same "handshake agreement" that we're currently getting. Work their way out of the BDF just to become suddenly homeless.
aggiehawg
AG
Just announced tu and ou have given their notice to the Big XII. Also said they will monitor the situation as to when they will no longer follow the requirements of the GOR.

So they are announcing they don't GAS about heir business partners and will kill the conference as soon as they can.
Dominion Caracas Branch
aggiehawg said:

Just announced tu and ou have given their notice to the Big XII. Also said they will monitor the situation as to when they will no longer follow the requirements of the GOR.

So they are announcing they don't GAS about heir business partners and will kill the conference as soon as they can.
lol I hope the big12 holds them to it out of spite.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, the biggest ? In my original layout was how long it will take to convince the Little 8 to punt on GOR. If I were Texas, I would come to the table with a sizeable offer right away, especially if a majority of the Little 8 already have Power 4 homes lined up.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

"The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Oklahoma notified the Big 12 Athletic Conference today that they will not be renewing their grants of media rights following expiration in 2025. Providing notice to the Big 12 at this point is important in advance of the expiration of the conference's current media rights agreement. The universities intend to honor their existing grant of rights agreements. However, both universities will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving collegiate athletics landscape as they consider how best to position their athletics programs for the future."
rootube
AG
Universities constantly preach to "Student" athletes about the sanctity of commitment. So I'm sure they are not going to lawyer up and try to weasel out of the grant of rights.
AgBQ-00
AG
Ok so that is not quite saying we are out the door immediately, but it is saying it is for sure the league will die by the end of the GOR
wbt5845
AG
In other words - "we will honor our contractual agreement until y'all decide to let us out of it because you want to let yourselves out of it".
aggiehawg
AG
wbt5845 said:

Yeah, the biggest ? In my original layout was how long it will take to convince the Little 8 to punt on GOR. If I were Texas, I would come to the table with a sizeable offer right away, especially if a majority of the Little 8 already have Power 4 homes lined up.
I just can't see where Tech and Okie Light get a PAC bid Horrible fit.
wbt5845
AG
Unless the league intends to stay together without Texas and OU. Highly unlikely unless the various schools do not find Power 4 homes.

This could happen. What if Kansas is the only school to find a home? Remember that to join a Power 4, you have to increase the $ for everyone. Can Tech and /or OSU do that for the PAC? Can Iowa State do that for the B1G? I don't know.

IF a majority cannot find P4 homes, they may stay together and force Texas and OU to stay around until 2025.
Post removed:
by user
wbt5845
AG
Texas and OU need 4 schools to cave. Kansas is the most likely to find a P4 home. None of the others are guaranteed.
wbt5845
AG
Rendered Fat said:

So if they can convince the rest of the Big 12 to fold, they escape having to pay their exit fee?

Wouldn't that be JUST like tu to do.

Yes, GOR expires with the conference. Conference can commit suicide by a simple majority vote.
aggiehawg
AG
wbt5845 said:

Texas and OU need 4 schools to cave. Kansas is the most likely to find a P4 home. None of the others are guaranteed.
That's the way I understand it. Takes six member institutions to fold the conference and negate the GOR and exit fees.
Showstopper
AG
They still haven't notified of intent to withdraw. They notified that they won't extend grant of rights and will honor the current grant of rights. Maybe new SEC doesn't care, but they made us notify that we intended to leave before the SEC would talk to us officially.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Why would 4 other teams give in? They are guaranteed that money and legitimately how many can expect to go to another major conference.
Showstopper
AG
Dissolution I believe required two thirds vote, so they need 7 votes total to dissolve.
rootube
AG
wbt5845 said:

Kansas may be one of the least likely.
aggiehawg
AG

Big XII couldn't survive for long without us.
greg.w.h
AG
Rendered Fat said:

So if they can convince the rest of the Big 12 to fold, they escape having to pay their exit fee?

Wouldn't that be JUST like tu to do.
By laws had a provision for dissolving the conference. Though I doubt the current by-laws are publicly available since the previous ones were so weak.
wbt5845
AG
rootube said:

wbt5845 said:

The argument is the Kansas City market would make it a net positive it the B1G. None of the other schools even bring that much.
Panama Red
AG
So its a matter of "when" now, right?

Latest is 2026, but does anyone think it will take that long?

My completely uneducated wildash guess is 2023. (Interestingly, UGA and OU, texas and Bama scheduled that year)
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Until every remaining member of the Big 12 has secured their future they will not allow cow and OU to walk, they will hold them to their GOR through spring 2025, that is a certainty. Now, it doesn't mean damages could not be paid, they would pay from their SEC $$$. But the SEC wouldn't allow it, they will not allow or be comfortable with any legal issues or barriers, it must be 1000% clean, as we saw with our process.

The little sisters of the Big 12 have already bent over and offered more unequal revenue sharing to cow and OU, which was rejected. They aren't going to go from that to $0 without a fight.

Admittedly I don't know the rules and bylaws of the Big 12 and how many votes would be needed, but we can confidently assume that each individual institution will not release those two from the GOR until that school has their own future secured. That is going to be a very long process for WV, tech, Okie State, K-State, tcu, baylor, et. al.
greg.w.h
AG
Showstopper said:

Dissolution I believe required two thirds vote, so they need 7 votes total to dissolve.

" (b) The following actions may be taken only if approved by the affirmative vote of a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors (as defined below):
(1) Amendments or modifications to the role and authority of the Board of Directors and the Advisory
Committees (as defined in the Rules);
(2) The dissolution, liquidation, winding-up, merger, sale, or transfer of all or substantially all of the assets of the Conference;"

. . .

" The term "Supermajority of Disinterested Directors" with respect to any issue shall mean seventy- five percent (75%) or more of all persons who are Disinterested Directors with respect to such issue, whether or not each is Present at a meeting considering such issue or signs a written consent with respect to this issue"

I believe these are current. Not sure how we interpret disinterested director in this case.

https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/handbook/bylaws.pdf
rootube
AG
wbt5845 said:

rootube said:

wbt5845 said:

The argument is the Kansas City market would make it a net positive it the B1G. None of the other schools even bring that much.

That argument has already been made and rejected by the PAC during the last realignment. Has Kansas done anything to improve their position since then?
aggie5857
AG
Awesome
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.