Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

$15 million extra, per school

13,661 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
The Agly Duckling
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bonfire, your OP is brilliant. I'm working on a similar OP that I'll put up when I have more time.

The money just doesn't make any sense. We now have more living alumni that sip or OU. We'll get about double the # of TVs in Texas and a significant amount in Oklahoma, but that state is very "low pop."

This makes no sense, mathematically, at all.

Since ESPN would save $15 mil. (more, actually, the way the contract is structured) from the demise of Cow TV, if they're using some or all of that to enhance this next SEC TV deal, is that sustainable for subsequent contracts?

This is such, total, bull****. This does not pass the smell test, like almost everything involving sip.

**** them.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
ESPN currently pays
$15m / year on the LHN (I've read this has been a $48m net loss over the past 10 years. Crazy unprofitable.)

$40m / year for the big 12 title game

And it has some deal with Fox where they combine to pay $200m a year to the league.

I'm not sure what the Fox / Espn split is on their combined big 12 deal, but let's say it's 50/50. Killing the big 12 frees up $155m to give to the SEC. (100 + 15 + 40)

And it kills the unprofitable LHN, which is of extra value. (The irony here is that adding the Longhorns to the sec doesn't make the league wayyyy more valuable, it's that it stops ESPN from bleeding money on the poorly-performing LHN!)

And it hurts Fox, which also has value.

And it makes all existing ESPN-SEC TV deals (including the SEC network) more valuable.

Are those intangibles worth enough to make the rumored cost of a new SEC deal worth it?

ESPN at least thinks so.
Thanks and gig'em
Sterling82
So what's that come to? An additional $3.5 mil per team? Except for the sips and ou who enhance their payout considerably more.
AirborneEngineer
You guys can let your hate for the sips cloud your judgement all you want to, but there is a ton of money to made.
Texas is the most valuable program in college football.

The football team is worth 1.1 Billion.
The athletic program just won the Directors Cup. Only team other than Stanford in the last 25 years to do that.
50K enrollment. 100K seat stadium...

Texas is gonna be able to go to any conference they want as long as they arent running it. Oklahoma too.
Would you rather play some silly FCS team or a Texas or OU.
Not that the SEC cares about academics....but they are one of the top public schools nationally as well.

They are going to make EVERYONE money. Whether we love or hate them and whether we beat them or not.

The only negative is, they are going to hurt A&M's recruiting. So will OU. The whole you get to play in the SEC thing wont really seem as special.
Spyderman
AG
What will be the eventually tab for letting OU and tu into the chicken house? I don't think a price can be put on that.

We better hope somehow this deal gets blown up.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
aggiedad7
It's about money and a pre-emptive strike against the Big. Now the Big has no chance to ever rival the SEC. If the Big added tu and OU then the power tilts about even. SEC adds them and it's game, set, match on power of the conferences.
Sterling82
Yeah that LHN proved their commercial value and then some.
aggiehawg
AG
AirborneEngineer said:

You guys can let your hate for the sips cloud your judgement all you want to, but there is a ton of money to made.

The athletic program just won the Directors Cup. Only team other than Stanford in the last 25 years to do that.

Texas is gonna be able to go to any conference they want as long as they arent running it. Oklahoma too.
Not that the SEC cares about academics....but they are one of the top public schools nationally as well.

They are going to make EVERYONE money. Whether we love or hate them and whether we beat them or not.

The only negative is, they are going to hurt A&M's recruiting. So will OU. The whole you get to play in the SEC thing wont really seem as special.
Aahh, there's the usual sip hubris, arrogance and peddler of misinformation we haven't missed in a decade.

Such delusion.
Bevo99
aggiedad7 said:

It's about money and a pre-emptive strike against the Big. Now the Big has no chance to ever rival the SEC. If the Big added tu and OU then the power tilts about even. SEC adds them and it's game, set, match on power of the conferences.

This assumes neither starts poaching teams from pac or acc.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Bevo99 said:

aggiedad7 said:

This assumes neither starts poaching teams from pac or acc.

This. A big10 composed of original teams and best pac/acc makes more money.

tu and ou aren't bringing in new money as much as bringing in money that would be spent on lhn/big12.

TyperWoods
It's more than 15 million extra for the sips and the schooners
yeshellyes
AG
AirborneEngineer said:

Texas is the most valuable program in college.

Which explains the astounding success of LHN.
Bonfire1996
AG
Universal said:

Hey Bonfire96, good to see you again. I've been gone almost 10 years since you told me I was an idiot about UT and OU joining the SEC near 2025 by using the ESPN Big 12 money to pay for it. I guess you were wrong, eh.

Of course in typical fashion, you suspect a conspiracy by ESPN to screw the SEC. The math isn't hard. As I told you 10 years ago, ESPN has been paying the Big 12 hundreds of millions annually essentially for UT and OU inventory. They are simply moving that money to the SEC along with UT and OU. Easy peasy.

No need to congratulate me for giving you the roadmap 10 years ago. Just drink a bourbon on the rocks in honor of old Universal and we'll be even. Oh, also enjoy the extra money Daddy dropped into your laps and quit complaining. Now we're all on equal ground. May the best team win!

You mean you left because you couldn't handle defeat? Says a lot about your status as a man.

Welcome to big boy football, a place you've never known. Hope you and your drunk coach are ready. Im going to enjoy watching your track meet football team bang heads for 9 weeks straight. We learned the hard way and you will too. Go ahead and predict what will happen in 2035 and take another 10 year hiatus as your team gets acclimated to the depth it takes to compete and win in the Deep South. We both know you aren't ready.

You still haven't done the math to come up with where the hell ESPN is finding $385 millionANNUALLY.
Bonfire1996
AG
AirborneEngineer said:

When is the last college football program to be bought and sold to establish this metric? Because your attendance the last decade says this is most certainly not true. But keep believing the same BS that's led to a decade of disappointment.

You lost to Kansas.
Sterling82
TyperWoods said:

It's more than 15 million extra for the sips and the schooners

Yeah that's the number being thrown around. But those numbers don't add up even if the shares of the 8 B12 members being dumped is zero.
TexAgs91
AG
Gidnik said:

TexAgs91 said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Just win and none of it matters.
It's not that easy when the refs are on t.u.'s payroll
Yes, the refs who played football in the sec will be on Texas's payroll.
I 'member when the SEC would refuse to allow t.u. in. You 'member?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
The Agly Duckling
AirborneEngineer said:

1. Where are you getting the $1.1 Billion figure for the worth of Texas football? And what does that mean, exactly? Are they going to give some of that to the rest of us? What do we get because they're worth so much? How does that affect the SEC?

2. They have a big enrollment, big stadium and many living alumni. So do we. In fact, our enrollment is more, our stadium seats more people and we have more living alumni than Texas.

3. FCS teams are not "silly," and we will keep playing them. You may want to consider that, also, given how hard your schedule is about to become if this move is made.

4. How is Texas going to make everyone more money?

5. It will affect our recruiting to a certain degree, but I don't believe it will be by that much.

Have a good day.
Universal
Bonfire1996 said:

Universal said:

Hey Bonfire96, good to see you again. I've been gone almost 10 years since you told me I was an idiot about UT and OU joining the SEC near 2025 by using the ESPN Big 12 money to pay for it. I guess you were wrong, eh.

Of course in typical fashion, you suspect a conspiracy by ESPN to screw the SEC. The math isn't hard. As I told you 10 years ago, ESPN has been paying the Big 12 hundreds of millions annually essentially for UT and OU inventory. They are simply moving that money to the SEC along with UT and OU. Easy peasy.

No need to congratulate me for giving you the roadmap 10 years ago. Just drink a bourbon on the rocks in honor of old Universal and we'll be even. Oh, also enjoy the extra money Daddy dropped into your laps and quit complaining. Now we're all on equal ground. May the best team win!

You mean you left because you couldn't handle defeat? Says a lot about your status as a man.

Welcome to big boy football, a place you've never known. Hope you and your drunk coach are ready. Im going to enjoy watching your track meet football team bang heads for 9 weeks straight. We learned the hard way and you will too. Go ahead and predict what will happen in 2035 and take another 10 year hiatus as your team gets acclimated to the depth it takes to compete and win in the Deep South. We both know you aren't ready.

You still haven't done the math to come up with where the hell ESPN is finding $385 millionANNUALLY.

What are you talking about, defeat? I told you 10 years ago that UT and OU might join the SEC by 2025 helped by ESPN diverting Big 12 money to the SEC. You told me I was an idiot, that UT would never be allowed in the SEC, that OU was a worthless program, and aTm had forever gained the upper hand on UT. I left Texags because I was tired of arguing with someone who wasn't listening, and I figured I'd come back when the time was right.

Well, now that UT and OU are joining the SEC, the time was right to resurface and see if old Bonfire96 had finally learned his lesson. Apparently not. Even several posters on this thread have layed it out. Take all the money that ESPN has been paying the Big 12 and add a premium for better rated games when UT and OU play SEC teams instead of Big 12 teams, and bingo, that's the money that makes this work. Yes, it's a lot of money, but that's a premium paid to corner the best market in college sports.

My prediction from here on out is UT, OU, aTm and LSU will all be successful and will rotate playing in the SEC Title game depending on who has the best QB. We beat UGA in the 2018 Sugar Bowl and lost in the last minute to LSU's 2019 title team with a mediocre coach. I think we'll be Ok. Good luck, and enjoy the extra money courtesy of your old pals, UT and OU.
The Agly Duckling
In relooking at this thread, I tend to agree with Universal.

It was obvious to me that t.u. and OU were leaving the door open to making serious changes at the end of this current contract.

If Universal comes back, I'd like to get his or her thoughts on the impact of t.u. and OU moving into the league from multiple angles.
Rusty Aha
AG
Bob Knights Paper Hands
You should take that down and we should stop posting fake news on every thread on TA.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Universal said:

Bonfire1996 said:

Universal said:

What are you talking about, defeat? I told you 10 years ago that UT and OU might join the SEC by 2025 helped by ESPN diverting Big 12 money to the SEC. You told me I was an idiot, that UT would never be allowed in the SEC, that OU was a worthless program, and aTm had forever gained the upper hand on UT. I left Texags because I was tired of arguing with someone who wasn't listening, and I figured I'd come back when the time was right.

Well, now that UT and OU are joining the SEC, the time was right to resurface and see if old Bonfire96 had finally learned his lesson. Apparently not. Even several posters on this thread have layed it out. Take all the money that ESPN has been paying the Big 12 and add a premium for better rated games when UT and OU play SEC teams instead of Big 12 teams, and bingo, that's the money that makes this work. Yes, it's a lot of money, but that's a premium paid to corner the best market in college sports.

My prediction from here on out is UT, OU, aTm and LSU will all be successful and will rotate playing in the SEC Title game depending on who has the best QB. We beat UGA in the 2018 Sugar Bowl and lost in the last minute to LSU's 2019 title team with a mediocre coach. I think we'll be Ok. Good luck, and enjoy the extra money courtesy of your old pals, UT and OU.

sips are the ones that came running behind their daddy after 10 years of whining and losing.

And you? You are just a splooge on the sheets and the flies did the rest.
greg.w.h
AG
If I were the SEC I would demand a Grant of Rights for 30 years of all newly admitted programs.
wbt5845
AG
AirborneEngineer said:

God, there's that sip hubris. But as opposed to before, now us and the other 7 schools as big as them can just tell them to **** off.
greg.w.h
AG
wbt5845 said:

AirborneEngineer said:

God, there's that sip hubris. But as opposed to before, now us and the other 7 schools as big as them can just tell them to **** off.
I think the SEC should force all Texas non-conference games to be broadcast on the LHNā€¦

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.