Story Poster
Photo by Vasha Hunt-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Football

Close the blinds: Texas, OU apparently coveting their neighbors' home

July 21, 2021

The psycho ex is getting more psychotic.

Overtures for a reunion were ignored so the ex wants into your neighborhood. One minute you’re enjoying your new home. The next you look up and a big cow is peeping into your window.

Now the ex is even dragging along an accomplice.

Southeastern Conference Media Days was moving along smoothly on Wednesday afternoon. Then the Houston Chronicle broke a story that Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC in hopes of joining the league.

This news surely comes as a shock to Texas and OU football recruits, who undoubtedly have been told the Big 12 Conference really — “no really, we mean it” — is as glamorous and strong as the SEC.

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher was at the podium when the story broke. Informed that Texas and OU would like to join the SEC he deadpanned:

TexAgs
Texas A&M AD Ross Bjork noted “There’s a reason why we left,” when asked about Texas and OU following A&M to the SEC.

“I bet they would.”

He’d win that bet. I have no doubt the story is true. The SEC is a gold mine. The Big 12 doesn’t have nearly as much earning potential.

The inquiry, which likely was made by wealthy Texas boosters, tells me two things:

1. The Longhorn Network will be trashed when the contract with ESPN runs out. The SEC wouldn’t sign off on one team having its own network like the Big 12 did.

2. Texas is just tired of getting beaten by Iowa State. Losses to LSU look better and pay more.

Of course, shortly after the story surfaced, Texas tried to play it down.

“Speculation always swirls around collegiate athletics," a Texas spokesman said in a statement. "We will not address rumors or speculation.”

Rumors are swirling like flies around Bevo’s bucket. That doesn’t mean there is no truth to them.

To be honest, SEC officials have recently met to discuss the landscape of college athletics in general and college football in particular. They talk about how to ensure the SEC remains the college football’s superior conference.

Adding Texas and Oklahoma would probably assure that. It would surely increase the SEC’s already lucrative TV contracts.

However, remember the story is that Texas and OU are reportedly inquiring about membership. That doesn’t mean either team would get it.

Sources say five teams would have to vote no to keep them out. Othes say it would only take three.

A&M Athletic Director Ross Bjork would absolutely be against adding them.

“From our perspective at A&M — And I didn’t expect to be answering this. I wanted to come support our guys today — there is a reason why we left,” Bjork said. “There's a lot of issues in the Big 12… governance, structure, communication. A&M wanted a new identity. And we got it. We don’t want to lose that. We don’t want to lose that momentum in all those different elements. The SEC has been perfect.”

“That’s our initial approach. Obviously, there’s going to be a lot to this in the coming days and weeks and months.”

“Listen, we've got the greatest league in ball... I'm just worried about A&M. I control what I want to control here.”
- Jimbo Fisher

Missouri, which also left the Big 12 amid frustration with Texas, would probably vote no as well.

LSU might say no, though a Baton Rouge reporter suggested that might not be the case. If adding Texas and OU means Alabama moving from the West Division to the East, he suggested LSU could be swayed.

However, that would also mean the East Division would include Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee along with South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

For his part, Fisher doesn’t care.

“I'm just worried about A&M, you know what I mean?” he said. “Listen, we've got the greatest league in ball. That's the choices they make or what they do, I don't know, but I don't know how I feel about it. I'm just worried about A&M. I control what I want to control here.”

Control. Maybe that’s what this Texas and OU story is about.

The psycho ex always wanted it. Now, it appears the ex is just losing it.

Discussion from...

Close the blinds: Texas, OU apparently coveting their neighbors' home

36,397 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SEC Champs
West Point Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This made me chuckle; nicely done!
Let’s Go Brandon!
ChemEAg08
AG
dixichkn
AG
Photoshop wizards.put Del Conte's face on the guy on the left

dixichkn
AG
And actually if the 75% rule is in place, it'd only take 4 no votes. That should be easy.
drthoop
AG
It would surely increase the SEC's already lucrative TV contracts.

I'm not convinced this is true. Texas tv's are already in the fold because of us and there aren't enough in Oklahoma to make a difference.

We'd be slicing the pie in 17 pieces rather than the 15 we do now. Not sure we could up the revenue rights enough to make it worth it. Ink isn't even dry on the new contract. Will ESPN want to go back to the table quickly and cough up more money?
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
yeshellyes
AG
The ultimate stab in the back.
Agvet12
AG
ESPN trying to force the move is what this tells me, they know the LHN is trash and want it off the books before 2031

Also how would OU get around the state law of them and OSU being joined by the hip? Lol

I'll just laugh at the sips wanting to be like big brother
AG81
AG
There's a standing offer for N. Carolina and Virginia to join the SEC as has been reported elsewhere. One wonders if this the SEC didn't leak this to prod them to take the offer. Adding N. Carolina and Virginia adds major TV markets that the SEC isn't in. The SEC is already in Texas, and Oklahoma doesn't have nearly the viewership opportunities that North Carolina or Virginia offer. Adding two more teams will likely end SEC expansion for good, and maybe the thinking is that Virginia and North Carolina wouldn't want to be left out in the cold in the conference consolidation sweepstakes.

Just a thought.
PuryearAg98
AG
Consider me jaded, but through all this discussion the only thing that benefits from this is the Houston Chronicle from all the traffic it's getting on this story. Feels like a "sources said" is really my owner needs more clicks in July
dixichkn
AG
4D chess by Sankey?

Huh. Maybe. Doubtful, but maybe
AggieDruggist89
AG
Quote:

Sources say 75 percent of SEC members would have to vote yes to allow the Longhorns and Sooners in. That means only five teams would have to vote no to keep them out.

C'mon brah...

14 x 75% = 10.5 ~ 11.

4 Schools.

aggielandfun
Ags -

RIGHT NOW...it's critically important that you call and/or email the top Republicans in our state about OPPOSING the TU attempt at switching to SEC!!!

Governor Greg Abbott:

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick:

Speaker Dade Phelan:

Gig 'em!
West texas fan
A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky. 1st 3 cause they know from experience how tu has ruined conferences. Last 4 cause they wouldn't want Alabama in the East!

Also isn't the some legislation in Oklahoma that OU can't leave without Ok state?
AggieDruggist89
AG
West texas fan said:

A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky. 1st 3 cause they know from experience how tu has ruined conferences. Last 4 cause they wouldn't want Alabama in the East!

Also isn't the some legislation in Oklahoma that OU can't leave without Ok state?

No
Stone44
AG
Why would we want to help either one of these dogs? It kills the recruiting advantage we now enjoy. Let them go beg the pac 12 so they can play games in the middle of the night. Screw both of them.
PlanetAggie
AG
aggielandfun said:

Ags -

RIGHT NOW...it's critically important that you call and/or email the top Republicans in our state about OPPOSING the TU attempt at switching to SEC!!!

Governor Greg Abbott:

Speaker Dade Phelan:

Gig 'em!
Baylor tactics?
PlanetAggie
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

West texas fan said:

No

OU / OSU Tie According to this, just the Governor ties the schools together, nothing else.
sharpdressedman
Well, tu and ou just flushed any semblance of a positive relationship henceforth with the other B12 members. Desperation can be very ugly.

Look for the Baylor, Tech, and TCU communities to be lighting torches and grabbing pitchforks.
sharpdressedman
PlanetAggie said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

West texas fan said:

No

OU / OSU Tie According to this, just the Governor ties the schools together, nothing else.
From the link:
"But, the final member, and the final authorizing authority over both boards is the Governor. It's his/her responsibility that the schools are acting in the best interest of the people of the state, and that includes the other school's system. Since he/she appoints the BOR he can have them replaced. The Governor has final veto."

I doubt that the governor would throw away the votes of his OSU constituents by supporting OU's leaving OSU behind in a failing conference.

All_In_Ags
Mule
AG
This was intentionally leaked by OU and tu officials- the responses of both schools say it all. All they had to do was say, "No. We are committed to the Big Dumpster Fire." Instead, we got their typical slimy noncommittal jargon.

They chose to leak their intentions right as our head coach was at the podium to once again undermine our media attention. After over a hundred years of this BS, we finally escape and now this. This is who they are and how they operate. The officials/ADs of the SEC had better be paying very close attention. The purpose of this leak was not only meant to steal our media coverage today but to put pressure on the SEC. It's their modus...It's just what they do. An arrogant bovine that uses its bulk and any means possible to promote their agenda.

The dollars to make this deal work have to already be worked out behind the scenes with ESPiN.

Be aware fellow SEC institutions. We have over a hundred years of experience in dealing with these borderline
narcissist. They destroy what they touch. They don't play well with others. They are not capable of a healthy partnership with our membership institutions.

When you lie with snakes...don't be surprised when you get bitten!

Texas Aggies
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Nobody in the East wants to add Bama to their schedule every year. Except maybe Auburn to maintain the rivalry. The only reason LSU would support the addition would be to move Bama out of the West, but just based on conversations with my LSU in-laws the prevailing thought is that it wouldn't be worth it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
monarch
S
So OU and ut are inquiring about joining the SEC; in other words, they are kinda looking for another job; they are going through the 1st stages of the interview process. Since they are the ones looking to join the SEC, they have to prove their worth to the conference. It doesn't appear that the SEC asked them if they are interested, if they would entertain thoughts of leaving the big12. Its the other way around. If True, that in itself should solicit warning signs out of the SEC membership. This doesnt shape up as anything that is good for the SEC and its membership.
Peace for Ukraine!
Foxo
AG
dixichkn said:

And actually if the 75% rule is in place, it'd only take 4 no votes. That should be easy.
Watch it ! Math is now considered racist by some.
Fenn06
AG
Olin - what's the third thing?
aggieclay
All_In_Ags said:

Yep! And ...
DD88
AG

"Where have you been for the last 9 years?"
"I'm trying to move into your neighborhood."
Sterling82
Mule said:

This was intentionally leaked by OU and tu officials- the responses of both schools say it all. All they had to do was say, "No. We are committed to the Big Dumpster Fire." Instead, we got their typical slimy noncommittal jargon.

They chose to leak their intentions right as our head coach was at the podium to once again undermine our media attention. After over a hundred years of this BS, we finally escape and now this. This is who they are and how they operate. The officials/ADs of the SEC had better be paying very close attention. The purpose of this leak was not only meant to steal our media coverage today but to put pressure on the SEC. It's their modus...It's just what they do. An arrogant bovine that uses its bulk and any means possible to promote their agenda.

The dollars to make this deal work have to already be worked out behind the scenes with ESPiN.

Be aware fellow SEC institutions. We have over a hundred years of experience in dealing with these borderline
narcissist. They destroy what they touch. They don't play well with others. They are not capable of a healthy partnership with our membership institutions.

Exactly this! Except they're not borderline when it comes to narcissism. If they ramrod this through, the SEC will rue the day.
Omega6464
aggielandfun said:

Ags -

Governor Greg Abbott:

Speaker Dade Phelan:

Gig 'em!
Abbott is a sip, bro. Not sure a call to him will help our cause.
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
el_guapo
Sterling82 said:

Mule said:

Exactly this! Except they're not borderline when it comes to narcissism. If they ramrod this through, the SEC will rue the day.
I doubt tu leaked it. Disrupting our media days would provide little gain. Just a cage rattle. tu and ou would not want everyone to know - especially their recruits - that they want into the league they laughed at us for going to. Until this happens (if it does), our recruiting advantage grows because they've admitted through their actions that the Big 12 is inferior.
el_guapo
Getting 4 no votes is not necessarily a slam dunk.
1. Sankey probably gets a raise if he raises the SEC's annual payout.
2. The SEC office will get a share of the increased payout
3. All schools will get a share of the increased payout (yes, not many newer tvs added but possibly better ratings on tu and ou games which could increase the payout - just a speculation- I'm not an insider number cruncher)
4. Other SEC schools may be realizing A&M is starting to rise in recruiting and would like our advantage diluted by ou and tu - don't think for a second that ou and tu would not have a better footing for Texas recruits if they joined the SEC.
5. The "gentlemen's agreement" will be moot if allowing ou and tu in because we would now be at 16 teams and unlikely to increase that. All schools that are the only school in their state in the SEC would be free from that worry.

Because of numbers 1, 2, and 3 Sankey will politic, schmooze, and negotiate with the other schools that it would be in their best interest to let ou and tu in. We could be left standing on an island of dissention.
hunter2012
AG
Agsone
AG
How do you figure the increased payout of adding tu & 0U to the SEC? TV contracts are fixed for years out with the ABC deal already inked starting 3yrs out. The incremental add of the two would otherwise dilute the per school payout unless there is a provision that allows increased TV revenue, and then split by 16 how much potential is that really per school? Math.
A&M Give Us Room!
el_guapo
I would imagine contracts are written with clauses that state if the landscape changes, it's back to the drawing board. Both sides would want a clause like this.
focaris
Here's my theory:

PAC-12 football is a disaster. t.u. and OU are their only hope and both schools know it. Who else could the PAC-12 possibly add that would be of any value? UTEP and Boise State? New Mexico and K-State? Hardly.

t.u. and OU went and flirted with the SEC, then leaked it, hoping to raise their PAC-12 offer. I don't think the PAC-12 can afford to lose and will eventually match any offer.

SEC has a plethora of options including doing nothing. VT & UNC is probably the top pairing. UNC & Duke would also be good. All former big-12 teams and group-of-five leader UCF begging to get in anywhere. Pick any two you want
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.