Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ari Wasserman from The Athletic on who has a brighter future Ags or sips

8,375 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dixichkn
Jarrin' Jay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That piece became comedy as soon as the words "ultratalented roster" were attributed to cow.

Yes, every top-tier prospect in the state should consider t.u...... they can then ask themselves if they want to spend the next 3-5 years playing Kansas, baylor, TCU, West Va., Tx Tech at 11:00 AM on an alternate cable channel with no big home games other than an infrequent non-con game....... or do they want to play against Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, etc. every year in prime-time nationally televised games against the best athletes, coaches and competition in college football.
Jimbo4win
AG
It's been said that Sark rebuilt Washington. He went 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, and 8-4. Chris Peterson then took over and went 8-6, 7-6, 12-2, 10-3, and 10-4. If Sark rebuilt Washington then A) wouldn't Sark have managed to win AT LEAST 9 games in ONE OF THE 5 YEARS HE WAS THERE or B) wouldn't Peterson have won AT LEAST 9 games WITH THE TALENT HE INHERITED FROM SARK? Neither happened. Sark never won in a meaningful way in his 5 years there. Peterson, however DID WIN BIG IN YEAR 3. Are we giving Sark credit for that 12 win season 3 years after he was gone!?
Bunk Moreland
Jimbo4win said:

It's been said that Sark rebuilt Washington. He went 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, and 8-4. Chris Peterson then took over and went 8-6, 7-6, 12-2, 10-3, and 10-4. If Sark rebuilt Washington then A) wouldn't Sark have managed to win AT LEAST 9 games in ONE OF THE 5 YEARS HE WAS THERE or B) wouldn't Peterson have won AT LEAST 9 games WITH THE TALENT HE INHERITED FROM SARK? Neither happened. Sark never won in a meaningful way in his 5 years there. Peterson, however DID WIN BIG IN YEAR 3. Are we giving Sark credit for that 12 win season 3 years after he was gone!?

Years prior to Sark's arrival:

2004 1-10
2005 2-9
2006 5-7
2007 4-9
2008 0-12

He didn't stay long enough for all the glory, but he immediately went 5-7, 6-6, 7-5, 7-5, 8-4 (regular season only).

for a program that down, that's a pretty solid rebuild job.
jrgypsum
All gas no brakes
"He's like a rabbit back there — a rabbit on steroids," Miller said of Michael. "And he's got speed like a cheetah. He's like a hybrid mutant running back."
Jimbo4win
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Jimbo4win said:

Years prior to Sark's arrival:

2004 1-10
2005 2-9
2006 5-7
2007 4-9
2008 0-12

He didn't stay long enough for all the glory, but he immediately went 5-7, 6-6, 7-5, 7-5, 8-4 (regular season only).

for a program that down, that's a pretty solid rebuild job.

The program was seriously down. There is no question. In college football, though, it doesn't take much to insert new coach, new life/enthusiasm, PAC 12 schedule to get a program to 5-7 win seasons NO matter how bad they were before he arrived. If it's true Sark didn't stay long enough to see Washington get to 12 wins(3 years later) then Sumlin should get an Orange Bowl ring.
Bunk Moreland
Don't get me wrong.. I'm not saying he'd have seen glory years there. He just didn't stay around long enough to see.

But I think he deserves fair credit for the rebuild. But agree with your larger point that he wasn't a miracle worker. He came into one of the worst situations in the country, immediately improved the culture, built a winning team and left it in much better hands than he found it.
Shoefly!
AG
AgDotCom said:

Has this guy played or coached football at any level? If no, why does his opinion matter more than others?

Ari Wasserman, hmmm! I'll bet you his daddy or family is a major stockholder in esipn and lives in Waterwhatever Connecticut.
Al Bula
AG
Stopped reading at "wasserman."
Showstopper
AG
I don't see how being in the big 12 is any huge asset in the era of a 12 team playoff. We are essentially talking about picking from 10-2 teams, and I'm not convinced the Big XII will do great in that discussion, while I think typically 10-2 SEC teams will end up in more often than not.
West Point Aggie
AG
Of course he's not accounting for tu becoming iowa states b**** as of late. Even their media pawns can't help them there!
Stone44
AG
F Ari and the rag he writes for. He obviously doesn't know s### about football or logic.
20ag07
Wasserman is a moron, but there are still good writers at The Athletic, blasting the whole thing is excessive. Sam Khan had a very good interview with Elko last week, who is rarely accessible to reporters.

https://theathletic.com/2663311/2021/06/21/mike-elko-qa-texas-ams-dc-on-recruiting-the-incoming-freshmen-and-his-love-of-college-station/?source=user_shared_article
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

I am repeatedly fooled by Texas.
Then all that tells me is that you are the typically lazy journalist/fan who gets all their information from ESiPN and doesn't really pay attention to the games or what's really going on inside the state of Texas. You buy the hype because the major media outlets tell you you're supposed to
AggieVictor10
AG
dixichkn said:

Quote:

I am repeatedly fooled by Texas.
Then all that tells me is that you are the typically lazy journalist/fan who gets all their information from ESiPN and doesn't really pay attention to the games or what's really going on inside the state of Texas. You buy the hype because the major media outlets tell you you're supposed to

To be fair, I imagine folks who read or participate in message boards are the minority and that most people just go off of what they see from talking heads on TV.

That said, if this guy's a journalist, you'd think he'd be a part of that minority to some degree.

Either way, we have the momentum and Texas looks to be spinning their wheels yet again. We do need to eventually capitalize on that momentum. I think we're in a good spot to do so.
monarch
S
That's called "negative profit"
Peace for Ukraine!
Emilio Fantastico
AG
rootube said:

W said:

yell_on_6th st said:

Lost me at "ultra talented roster"...
that's the first thing I noticed.

the horns actually lost their most talented offensive and defensive players (from their 2020 roster).

and once again...everything everyone is saying about Sarkisian...is the same thing they said about Tom Herman
You can debate a star here or there but it's not debatable that tu has more talent than anyone in the big 12. They beat out ou head to head for players on a regular basis. They have an absolutely terrible reputation for player development recently. We will soon see about Sark's ability to recruit and develop players.

I wouldn't say tu has better talent than ou. Ou has a decided edge on offense because they actually get some top OL to go with all their 5-star QBs and WRs. I do think sip gets more defensive talent, especially at DB, but between being in a generally soft league and sip specifically having a soft team culture, their superstar DB recruits usually end up not being able to cover or tackle. About all they are good for is getting away with cheap shot targeting penalties.
rootube
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

rootube said:

W said:

yell_on_6th st said:

Lost me at "ultra talented roster"...
that's the first thing I noticed.

the horns actually lost their most talented offensive and defensive players (from their 2020 roster).

and once again...everything everyone is saying about Sarkisian...is the same thing they said about Tom Herman
You can debate a star here or there but it's not debatable that tu has more talent than anyone in the big 12. They beat out ou head to head for players on a regular basis. They have an absolutely terrible reputation for player development recently. We will soon see about Sark's ability to recruit and develop players.

I wouldn't say tu has better talent than ou. Ou has a decided edge on offense because they actually get some top OL to go with all their 5-star QBs and WRs. I do think sip gets more defensive talent, especially at DB, but between being in a generally soft league and sip specifically having a soft team culture, their superstar DB recruits usually end up not being able to cover or tackle. About all they are good for is getting away with cheap shot targeting penalties.

They win more often than they lose when they go head to head for recruits with OU so it's easy to say that development is their problem not recruiting or overall talent.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Then how about we use that as the reason he may be successful at Texas. My analysis - having success as Alabama's OC under Saban isn't exactly an exclusive club, nor is it an indicator of future success. That analysis is spot on.

You said "history says he won't be." History is broader than just the one data point. Your "analysis" on that one data point was fine. But then you went big at the end with insuffecient data to support the broader point. Should have stuck with the one point and not expanded the scope at the end.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Rebuilding at USC? I see why he failed...and booze.

USC was hit with brutal sanctions. They got docked 30 scholarships over 3 years. That was why Pete Carroll got out of dodge. Lane Kiffin was there for only 3.5 seasons. they were trending up, but he was not able to hang in long enough.

Those USC teams had plenty of good starters, but depth was limited. He had a good first season before the drinking caught up with him.

He just self-destructed. The talent was starting to roll in. UCLA was imploding. He just needed to get through a rough patch in that second season. He could not.
Iowaggie
AG
Obligatory "Texas is not our rival statement" in a thread that will likely go several more pages about an Athletic article that is probably the most read from subscribers from Texas.
ashley
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Quote:

Jim McElwain, Doug Nussmeir, Lane Kiffin, Brian Daboll, Michael Locksley - all OCs at Alabama under Saban. All were successful at Alabama and haven't done much in college football after that. So why do they all think Sarkisian, fresh off an Alabama NC, is going to be different. History says he won't be.

Would not surprise if he fails, but that analysis misses several key data points.

He rebuilt Washington's roster that went winless the year before he arrived. He was in the process of rebuilding USC. Addiction did him in. IF he remains sober, still an open question on his HC ability.

Right, don't underestimate your enemies.
cc10106
I think Sark will do well in Austin and stick around a while. Good thing A&M has Jimbo and a great staff.
dixichkn
AG
cc10106 said:

I think Sark will do well in Austin and stick around a while. Good thing A&M has Jimbo and a great staff.
Who among us (honestly, now) wasn't fairly worried when Herman took that same job? He was a much, much hotter commodity than Sark, and quite honestly had a superior resume. He was the man of the moment.

And even he couldn't overcome the cesspool.

I'm not concerned with Cutty Sark. We have The Man.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.