Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Lock him in. Jimbo Fisher for 10 more years.

7,543 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gidnik
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want a contract extension on JFF (The real JFF, not the ball don't lie jff).

$8M per year guaranteed with more room for bonus. Require that JFF can't leave without buying himself out.
ryanhnc10
AG
Why? No one is coming for him and he's not an NFL guy. Nothing wrong with waiting a few more years
Al Bula
AG
Solid Wednesday night of drinking!
TAMUallen
AG
No.

He's a great coach but we do not need to pull another Sumlin
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
He has already proven not to be a fraud unlike previous coaches. Pay the man and lock him in already
Ex-liberalag12
TAMUallen said:

No.

Smoking the pipe tonight?.... This is our guy
inconvenient truth
liberalag12 said:

TAMUallen said:

No.

Hey look a liberal wanting to spend someone else's money. Shocking! Feel free to write the check, no one is stopping you.
DustysLineup
AG
We just did this thread!
TAMUallen
AG
liberalag12 said:

TAMUallen said:

No.

He can be our guy but let's not just throw money away like a lib

We've done it before...

We're closer now to a championship but we haven't done it. Jimbo is great but not yet proven to be a Saban. Let him do his work, produce results and then he will be compensated accordingly. Not this silly **** of we have to get ahead of his success so he stays after he succeeds
Ex-liberalag12
" Like a lib" Nice. LOL...

I get where you are coming from as far as taking it slow and being cautious with a FOOTBALL coach. Usually, a smart and cautious approach is wise. I'm not sure you are seeing the full picture though. Consider Jimbo's history and current results. Does Sumlin have a proven track record etx.. When was the last time we have recruited so well? Is there another A&M coach in the past DECADE that has a record like his, especially against good teams? The writing is on the wall and it's not hard to decipher..... Get on HWY 6 towards College Station and enjoy the ride
BrotherChad
AG
How soon they forget that 2019 7-5 regular season... Georgia and Auburn weren't even that good that year. We literally told Jimbo we are paying him to win us a natty and he hasn't delivered yet. Why would you pay him more when he hasn't delivered on his end yet? How is that good negotiating?

Rudyjax
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

I want a contract extension on JFF (The real JFF, not the ball don't lie jff).

$8M per year guaranteed with more room for bonus. Require that JFF can't leave without buying himself out.
That's why you're not in charge of anything.
DamnGood86
AG
A&M has billions and is negligibly affected by a substantial buyout. A&M and a coach are not financial equals that require protracted negations. Other than embarrassment and waste, how was A&M harmed by over reaching on Sumlin? What would you be saying if we had let USC steal him and he turned out to be the next Saban?

If I can afford it, I would rather risk a little egg on my face than risk losing a guy that might make us the program of our dreams. Basically, why not extend now?
West Point Aggie
AG
Not happening; at least nit until past the mid point of his current contract.
Let’s Go Brandon!
W
AG
Jimbo has done a great job thru 3 years, but remember...in the world of sports...things can change very, very, very quickly.

no extension until year 7 is complete
WC94
AG
JJF not JFF. There is only one Johnny ****ing Football.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Jimbo Fisher has done an excellent job through his first 3 years, but there shouldn't be an extension until after year 5 or later is completed.
jrbaggie
Would rather see an extension in two years with a crap load of incentives, such as SEC WEST champion = $1,000,000,000 bonus, a MNC =$5,000,000., etc, etc
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
Hopefully you don't deal with numbers for a living. You just paid someone a cool billion for a conference division championship.
SinKiller
Win a conference championship and then just maybe you can start thinking about it...Saban can't be an excuse, he was paid to beat him, not get owned by him...
Aggieair
jrbaggie said:

Would rather see an extension in two years with a crap load of incentives, such as SEC WEST champion = $1,000,000,000 bonus, a MNC =$5,000,000., etc, etc

$1B for winning our division, but only $5M for winning a natty?
Leander - Ag
AG
Win something first
Aggieair
First 3 years comparison:

First 3 Seasons Record:
Sumlin- 28-11 (.718)
Fisher- 26-10 (.722)

Best Season:
Sumlin- 2012 (11-2)
Fisher- 2020 (9-1)

Worst Season:
Sumlin- 2014 (8-5)
Fisher- 2019 (8-5)

Best AP Finish:
Sumlin- #5
Fisher- #4

Worst AP Finish:
Sumlin- not ranked, but #36 in votes received
Fisher- not ranked, but #26 in votes received

Bowl Record:
Sumlin- 3-0 (Cotton (NY6 equiv.), Chick-fil-a, Liberty)
Fisher- 3-0 (Gator, Texas, Orange (NY6))

Losses to unranked teams:
Sumlin - 2
Fisher - 2

Record vs Top 25
Sumlin- 7-9 (.438)
Fisher- 4-8 (.333)

Fisher is only 3 years into a 10 year contract. A lot can change for the worse after the first 3 seasons, as Sumlin showed us. Granted, the program is on a positive trajectory now as opposed to under Sumlin, but it makes no sense to extend the man until A) he does what he's paid to do and wins a NC, or B) gets into year 6 or 7 of the contract, and the program is still heading in the right direction and trending up.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Take away JFF lite and Sherman's stacked o-line, and Sumlin looks like a 2A high school football coach with much different results.

The real JFF inherited a bare cupboard and has done more with less. Jimbo wins a natty with the team summy had in 2012
W
AG
the bare cupboard has turned out to be a myth. Sumlin left Jimbo quite a bit of talent in the front 7, QB, RB, and o-line.

the big difference/improvement with Jimbo has been the change in style of play. i.e. run the ball and control the clock.

it fits or fit much better with the personnel Sumlin left behind. As opposed to Sumlin's air raid / hurry-up style that had the defense defending 80 to 90 plays per game
W
AG
where Jimbo has really pulled away from Sumlin after only 3 years...

record vs. SEC competition.

Sumlin was 13-11 in conference play after 3 seasons.

Jimbo is currently 17-8

87_Was_Long_Ago
AG
Aggieair said:

jrbaggie said:

$1B for winning our division, but only $5M for winning a natty?

We REALLY want to beat Saban.... the rest is just details.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Kevin Sumlin went just 8-14 in home SEC games. Even worse, he went just 3-12 against SEC West teams at Kyle Field, including a 7-game losing streak to end his tenure. Sumlin's last home win against an SEC west team was a 30-17 win over Mississippi State on 10/3/15. We went for 1,134 days without such win until a 38-24 win over Ole Miss on 11/10/18.

Jimbo Fisher already posted more home SEC wins in 3 years than Kevin Sumlin posted in 6 years. Jimbo is 9-2 in home SEC games, including 5-2 against SEC West teams. His only losses at Kyle Field were a 28-20 loss to Auburn on 9/21/19 and a 47-28 loss to Alabama on 10/12/19.
Aggieair
Ghost of Bizbee said:

Take away JFF lite and Sherman's stacked o-line, and Sumlin looks like a 2A high school football coach with much different results.

The real JFF inherited a bare cupboard and has done more with less. Jimbo wins a natty with the team summy had in 2012
I am aware of that now, and do you know why? Because today's date is in June 2021, not June 2015. You would not have said any of that about Sumlin in June 2015, which is the point of the entire post.
Aggieair
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Kevin Sumlin went just 8-14 in home SEC games. Even worse, he went just 3-12 against SEC West teams at Kyle Field, including a 7-game losing streak to end his tenure. Sumlin's last home win against an SEC west team was a 30-17 win over Mississippi State on 10/3/15. We went for 1,134 days without such win until a 38-24 win over Ole Miss on 11/10/18.

Jimbo Fisher already posted more home SEC wins in 3 years than Kevin Sumlin posted in 6 years. Jimbo is 9-2 in home SEC games, including 5-2 against SEC West teams. His only losses at Kyle Field were a 28-20 loss to Auburn on 9/21/19 and a 47-28 loss to Alabama on 10/12/19.

Again, another person who missed the point of my post. You're looking at stats from Sumlin's entire tenure, not just the first 3 years. That's equivalent to you claiming you know the future and exactly how every game in Jimbo's next 3 years will go. The point was a lot can change after the first 3 years, and it's folly to extend someone only 3 years into a 10 year contract, especially another 10 years as the OP suggested.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Aggieair said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

Again, another person who missed the point of my post. You're looking at stats from Sumlin's entire tenure, not just the first 3 years. That's equivalent to you claiming you know the future and exactly how every game in Jimbo's next 3 years will go. The point was a lot can change after the first 3 years, and it's folly to extend someone only 3 years into a 10 year contract, especially another 10 years as the OP suggested.
In my earlier post, I said that there should not be a contract extension until at least 5 years have been completed. I was just providing an example of how Jimbo accomplished more in 3 years than Sumlin did in 6 years. Yes, a lot can change after the first 3 years, and it is foolish to extend a 10-year contract after just 3 years. If I compare home SEC records during the first 3 years, Sumlin went 4-7 in home SEC games, including 0-3 in 2014. By contrast, Jimbo Fisher is 9-2 in home SEC home games. Again, I agree that a contract extension after just 3 years into a 10-year contract is foolish, but there's no denying how much Jimbo has improved this team so far.

The next step is beating Alabama to win the SEC West and then beating Georgia or Florida in the SEC Championship Game to punch a ticket to the College Football Playoffs. I believe Fisher will recruit the players needed to accomplish that goal, but only time will tell.
jrbaggie
Trying to make a point with you simple guys but apparently it went way over your head. Sorry, I will type slower, and include more pictures.

And, your user name checks out.

BTW - I am just kidding and hope you have a great day!
Aggieair
Sounds like we're overall in agreement, but again you can't compare 3 years to 6 years. Saying "Fisher accomplished more in 3 years than Sumlin did in 6" still isn't a sufficient counter against my argument. If Fisher produces one or two losing seasons in the next 3 years, then it'll be "Sumlin did more in 6 years than Fisher did in 6 years."

When it comes to extensions, people that are comparing how they feel about Sumlin in June 2021 to Fisher in June 2021 need to think about how they felt about Sumlin in June 2015, which was still very bullish on this board at that time.

I think Fisher will turn out much better than Sumlin, but he has to earn that money first.
Aggieair
Also, looking solely at conference home games as opposed to all conference games is extremely arbitrary and disingenuous when comparing coaches. Total conference record is what matters, not home conference record, when it comes to winning the division.

Sumlin in 3 years in SEC: 13-11 (.542)
Fisher in 3 years in SEC: 17-8 (.680)

Fisher could 4-4 in conference next year (which he has done before, and Sumlin did repeatedly) and no one on here is going to say "Well, at least he won all our home conference games!"
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Aggieair said:

Also, looking solely at conference home games as opposed to all conference games is extremely arbitrary and disingenuous when comparing coaches. Total conference record is what matters, not home conference record, when it comes to winning the division.

Sumlin in 3 years in SEC: 13-11 (.542)
Fisher in 3 years in SEC: 17-8 (.680)

Fisher could 4-4 in conference next year (which he has done before, and Sumlin did repeatedly) and no one on here is going to say "Well, at least he won all our home conference games!"
Yes, you are right. The conference winning percentage is what matters when it comes to SEC West standings, but there's no denying how much we struggled in home SEC games under Sumlin. I have not forgotten the long drought between home wins against SEC West teams that lasted more than 3 years. Since Sumlin went 6-2 in SEC games his first season, he posted 4-4 SEC records 4 times (2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017) and one 3-5 SEC season in 2014.

When Fisher went 4-4 in SEC games in 2019, we had a tough schedule because we drew Georgia in Athens as our rotating SEC East opponent in addition to Alabama and LSU. I had expected losses to Alabama, Georgia, and LSU that year, and the only disappointing loss was a 28-20 home loss to Auburn. We have never beaten Auburn at home, but I expect that to change on 11/6. Also, I am expecting at least a 5-3 finish in SEC games. Anything below that would be disappointing. Like you, I think Fisher will turn out to be a much better coach than Sumlin, but he needs to prove that before we can even consider any contract extension.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.