Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

We use to get beat

11,508 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MarathonAg12
Bryant03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
by talent, play calling, player development, coaching, endurance, mental weakness, mistakes and the like.

I'm not saying we are the most talented or have the best play callers around or won't lose a game or two at some point. Every coach and team has those games when they just mess up. BUT

Does anyone else feel like you have to actually beat us now? I like this feeling. It should produce many wins!!!

Gig em!!!
lotoarmy
AG
Well said!
Last of the Old Army
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Bryant03 said:

by talent, play calling, player development, coaching, endurance, mental weakness, mistakes and the like.

I'm not saying we are the most talented or have the best play callers around or won't lose a game or two at some point. Every coach and team has those games when they just mess up. BUT

Does anyone else feel like you have to actually beat us now? I like this feeling. It should produce many wins!!!

Gig em!!!
Excellent thread. Under Kevin Sumlin, we lost too many winnable games against inferior opponents. We lost to four teams that finished either 5-7 or 6-6 in the regular season.
2015: lost to 6-6 Auburn 26-10 at Kyle Field. Auburn defeated Memphis 31-10 in the Birmingham Bowl to finish 7-6
2016: lost at 5-7 Mississippi State 35-28. Due to their high academic progress rate (APR) score, Mississippi State received a bowl invite to the St Petersburg Bowl and defeated Miami-Ohio 17-16 to finish 6-7.
2016: lost to 5-7 Ole Miss 29-28 at Kyle Field. A week later, Vanderbilt crushed Ole Miss 38-17.
2017: blew a 44-10 lead to lose at UCLA 45-44, and UCLA ended up finishing 6-6 in the regular season. UCLA lost to Kansas State in the Cactus Bowl to finish 6-7.

Under Jimbo Fisher, I believe we had only one disappointing loss. We led Auburn 24-14 with 5:14 left before losing 28-24 on 11/3/18. If we had held on to that lead, we would have finished 9-3 (6-2) in SEC games) and won 10+ games for the first time since 2012. Auburn finished 7-5 (3-5 in SEC games) in the regular season and crushed Purdue 63-14 in the Music City Bowl to finish 8-5 in 2018. I believe Jimbo has laid the foundation for us to compete in the SEC West. It should produce 10+ win seasons starting this year. Hopefully, we will beat Alabama at some point, win the SEC West, and defeat Georgia or Florida in an SEC Championship to make the College Football Playoffs.
Dex_Mick_Bear
You, sir, have a winner's mentality!

Texas A&M has every advantage to be at the top of the sport! Everyone, from Jimbo, to the players, to every fan (that means YOU!!!), needs to face this fact:

WE'RE A BEAST OF A PROGRAM THAT WILL TERRORIZE OUR OPPONENTS FOR DECADES TO COME!!!

LET'S GO!!!!
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Only heartbreak awaits
mjhhawk
"2017: blew a 34-10 lead to lost at UCLA 45-44, and UCLA ended up finishing 6-6 in the regular season. UCLA lost to Kansas State in the Cactus Bowl to finish 6-7. "

Not to make things even worse but the tens of thousands of us in attendance and millions watching from home will certainly let you know it was a 44-10 lead.....

Meximan
They won't get beat, but they might get outscored
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
mjhhawk said:

"2017: blew a 34-10 lead to lost at UCLA 45-44, and UCLA ended up finishing 6-6 in the regular season. UCLA lost to Kansas State in the Cactus Bowl to finish 6-7. "

Not to make things even worse but the tens of thousands of us in attendance and millions watching from home will certainly let you know it was a 44-10 lead.....

Yeah, I corrected it. I don't know why I kept thinking it was a 34-10 lead. It was a 44-10 lead with 4:08 left in the 3rd quarter that we managed to blow. We allowed 35 unanswered points in the last 19 minutes, and none of those touchdowns were defensive or special teams scores. UCLA had 5 touchdown drives of 66 yards or more in 2:06 or less.
Meximan
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Only heartbreak awaits

For the enemy
Agsuffering@bulaw
I think we do have the best play callers. And no, we no longer beat ourselves.
ColoAg95
AG

Only heartbreak awaits

nothing like putting 83-year drought pressure on a bunch of kids...
SinKiller
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I think we do have the best play callers. And no, we no longer beat ourselves.
Two Auburn games come to mind...
TMartin
Expectations by Aggies have changed and need to remain that way.
Agsuffering@bulaw
We beat ourselves in 2018. They controlled the LOS in 2019.
PneumAg
Still a significant gap between our talent and that of Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State. That gap has to close before we will have any hope of winning a championship.
Dex_Mick_Bear
PneumAg said:

Still a significant gap between our talent and that of Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State. That gap has to close before we will have any hope of winning a championship.
Disagree about LSU. We already caught them...
PneumAg
Dex_Mick_Bear said:

PneumAg said:

We definitely have not caught LSU. They're still way better at WR, CB, S, and LB based on performance. Hopefully the right guys start stepping up for us.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Dex_Mick_Bear said:

PneumAg said:

Exactly. We have won 2 out of our last 3 games against LSU with both wins at Kyle Field. Winning in Baton Rouge to take 3 out of the last 4 games would prove that we can beat LSU both at home and on the road. Otherwise, the Texas A&M vs LSU series might turn into a trend of the home team winning each game, similar to the Auburn vs LSU series. In the Auburn vs LSU series, the home team has won 18 of 21 games since 2000. During that span, LSU went 3-8 at Auburn with road wins at Auburn in 2008, 2012, and 2018, and Auburn went 0-10 at Baton Rouge since a 41-7 blowout in 1999.

We have to close the talent with Alabama to win the SEC West and then defeat Georgia or Florida in the SEC Championship Game to even make the College Football Playoffs. Then, we would have to beat two Power 5 conference champions to win the national championship game.
Z Team
AG
Developing Seasoned veterans can close some of talent gap.
We have some positions where I think we have an advantage over bama. DL is one group I think we have the advantage and they make the rest of the defense better.
TE is another position where I think we have the advantage and it also makes the entire offense better.
Dex_Mick_Bear
PneumAg said:

Dex_Mick_Bear said:

PneumAg said:

We definitely have not caught LSU. They're still way better at WR, CB, S, and LB based on performance. Hopefully the right guys start stepping up for us.
"way" better isn't a thing...

They may be better at those positions, but we got them at several positions, too.

A&M and LSU are eye to eye now...
Agsuffering@bulaw
We won't know for another season or 2 whether we have caught LSU. My guess is yes, but that may not be enough to overcome their home field.
Jimbo4win
AG
Dex_Mick_Bear said:

PneumAg said:

Dex_Mick_Bear said:

PneumAg said:

"way" better isn't a thing...

They may be better at those positions, but we got them at several positions, too.

A&M and LSU are eye to eye now...

I read that there are only 4 teams to have three straight top 7 classes in recruiting: Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M. Based on that, perhaps it's Ohio St and Clemson whose future is less bright than ours.
Dex_Mick_Bear
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

We won't know for another season or 2 whether we have caught LSU. My guess is yes, but that may not be enough to overcome their home field.
Losing a close game in Baton Rogue wouldn't mean we haven't caught up...
saw em off
No grammar police yet to correct that "use"?

I'll do it: "used"
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Dex_Mick_Bear said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Losing a close game in Baton Rogue wouldn't mean we haven't caught up...
I agree. Baton Rouge is still a very hostile environment. Since 2010, LSU has lost just 10 home games in the last 11 years, and half of those losses were to Alabama in 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020. Mississippi State has two wins in Baton Rouge in 2014 and 2020. The only other three teams to win in Baton Rouge were Arkansas in 2015, Florida in 2016, and Troy in 2017. We might be evenly matched with LSU, and home field advantage alone could decide the outcomes of future games.
Divining Rod
We are dictating the flow of the game now, mainly i think because of our control of the LOS and our sticking to the game plan.
SinKiller
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

We beat ourselves in 2018. They controlled the LOS in 2019.
That's on the coaches. Mond should have never been throwing in '18 when he threw that pick, that game was over. That's as big of a choke as we've ever had. In '19 you played against a true freshman qb, one that can't complete a forward pass, at home. The Ags were never in this one, couple of junk scores to make it look respectable. Playing at home, no excuse.
Agsuffering@bulaw
What are we arguing about? OP said he is optimistic bc we no longer shoot our selves in the foot. I agree.

Auburn 2018 was the last time an A&M football team beat itself. It sounds like you agree with that.

Auburn 2019 was better than us and beat us. We might have made it closer with a few less mistakes, but it still probably would not have been enough. It sounds like you agree.

I also said that jimbo and Elko are elite playcallers. Is that what we are debating?
FriscoAggieFan
AG

Only heartbreak awaits
I'm having a party, I would love for you to attend
Dex_Mick_Bear
FriscoAggieFan said:

Only heartbreak awaits
I'm having a party, I would love for you to attend
I'm sure he'll be the one being surrounded by women...
Caesar4
AG
I'm just trying to figure out what is "to get beat" and how does one use it.

ETA: Oh, grammar comment was already posted. So sad.
alamogeorge
AG
Caesar4 said:

I'm just trying to figure out what is "to get beat" and how does one use it.

ETA: Oh, grammar comment was already posted. So sad.

Grammar lives matter.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Ag Tag
saw em off said:

No grammar police yet to correct that "use"?

I'll do it: "used"
And beaten, not beat.
GigEmTx

Quote:

PneumAg said:

They weren't better at those positions the last time we played, so where's your point of comparison?
Sparkie
AG
The good ol' days: shanked punts, muffed returns, watch and chase defenses, smoke draw on 4th and long.....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.