Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

10 win seasons.

6,459 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bryanisbest
Divining Rod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Divining Rod said:

^ I think that's his point. 10 wins aint always all that...

just to be clear, i wasn' t pooh poohing 10 win seasons. i was clarifying what someone else's post was about.

10 win seasons are great- but sometimes they're
less than what you were hoping or expecting.

I think we've all known that for quite some time, even when we were HOPING for a 10 win season.
SinKiller
Divining Rod said:

Divining Rod said:

just to be clear, i wasn' t pooh poohing 10 win seasons. i was clarifying what someone else's post was about.

10 win seasons are great- but sometimes they're
less than what you were hoping or expecting.

I think we've all known that for quite some time, even when we were HOPING for a 10 win season.
10 win seasons are misleading. The Ags are basically 3-0 before the season starts, playing 3 teams that we shouldn't be playing. I understand the reason for cupcakes, these are even ridiculous for cupcakes. Colorado appears to be a real good test though.
SinKiller
PascalsWager said:

Jimbo hasn't reached 10 win in consecutive seasons yet. No A&M team has against top level competition (which I consider the Big 12 era and beyond).

I don't claim to be an expert of competition level pre-integration. I'm not sure how meaningful any of that is anyway. Most the 80s and 90s runs were not anywhere near this level of competition. You might have enjoyed them, but they weren't the same.

I'd love to win a national title. But we can't even win 10 games in two consecutive seasons.
The "no A&M" team argument is ridiculous...

People can put their heads in the sand all they want, the SEC wasn't good last year...It was Alabama and then a huge drop-off. If we're not beating Bama, we're not beating good competition.

To your 80's and 90's competition thoughts. Who the hell do you think Darrell Royal was beating up on?
PascalsWager
AG
SinKiller said:

PascalsWager said:

Jimbo hasn't reached 10 win in consecutive seasons yet. No A&M team has against top level competition (which I consider the Big 12 era and beyond).

I don't claim to be an expert of competition level pre-integration. I'm not sure how meaningful any of that is anyway. Most the 80s and 90s runs were not anywhere near this level of competition. You might have enjoyed them, but they weren't the same.

I'd love to win a national title. But we can't even win 10 games in two consecutive seasons.

People can put their heads in the sand all they want, the SEC wasn't good last year...It was Alabama and then a huge drop-off. If we're not beating Bama, we're not beating good competition.

To your 80's and 90's competition thoughts. Who the hell do you think Darrell Royal was beating up on?
In the entire 1991-94 run we beat 2 clear good teams and arguably 4:

Clear
1992 10-3 Stanford
1993 9-3 Louisville

Arguable
1991 8-4 Baylor
1994 8-4 Texas

I agree with you that the SEC was weak outside of Bama last year. We didn't even play Georgia so we get no credit for them being good. The schedule was weak enough to keep us out of the playoff. But it was still MILES better than anything in the 80s and 90s SWC. The SWC might be equivalent of the AAC.
MaroonStain
AG
Divining Rod said:

All of those 10 wins seasons during the Fran, Sherman and Sumlin episodes got really boring.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Doc 74
AG
PascalsWager said:

SinKiller said:

PascalsWager said:

In the entire 1991-94 run we beat 2 clear good teams and arguably 4:

Clear
1992 10-3 Stanford
1993 9-3 Louisville

Arguable
1991 8-4 Baylor
1994 8-4 Texas

I agree with you that the SEC was weak outside of Bama last year. We didn't even play Georgia so we get no credit for them being good. The schedule was weak enough to keep us out of the playoff. But it was still MILES better than anything in the 80s and 90s SWC. The SWC might be equivalent of the AAC.

SEC may have been weak last year but it is hard to be sure. We played a conference-only schedule so regular season had to average .500. Bowls aren't a great marker of inter-conference strength, especially in these days of opt-outs, but last year it was all we had. We won 7 of 9 bowl games, and Auburn had lost their coach which often leads to losing the bowl. OK was one of the hottest teams in the country at the end of the season so I was not surprised they beat Florida. Four-win Kentucky and Old Miss and three-win Miss State beat teams ranked in the AP at the time of the bowl. Unlike BDF who managed to lose to Sunbelt teams, they likely would have had 3-4 more wins in a regular year. My opinion is that if anyone other than Notre Dame had their record, we would have been the #4 team in CFP. Frustrating to play only 10 total games but 9-1 should be roughly equal to 10-3 or 11-2.
DamnGood86
AG
Doc 74 said:

[Frustrating to play only 10 total games but 9-1 should be roughly equal to 10-3 or 11-2.

I am no doctor but I would say a 9-1 all-SEC season is equivalent to a 12-1 season when I add our typical three cupcake games. That is unless I am wearing my "the cup is always 9/10 empty" glasses.
ABATTBQ87
AG
I posted this after the 2019 season, and I did not update the win totals after the 2020 season

1980-2019 = 40 years

311 total wins = 7.8 wins per season

10+ win seasons = 8 (20%)

7 to 9 win seasons = 22 (55%)

4 to 6 win seasons = 10 (25%)

Total coaches = 7 (average tenure 5.7 years)
1980 - 1981 Wilson = 11 wins
1982 - 1988 Sherrill = 52 wins (3 SWC Titles)
1989 - 2002 Slocum = 123 wins (4* SWC Titles/1 Big XII Title) (*1994 probation*)
2003 - 2007 Fran = 32 wins
2008 - 2011 Sherman = 26 wins
2012 - 2017 Sumlin = 51 wins
2018 - Present Fisher = 16 wins

1980's average 7.1 wins per season
4 seasons 6 wins or less
2 seasons 10 wins

1990's average 9.4 wins per season (highest wins per season in the history of the program)
1 season 6 wins or less
5 seasons 10+ wins

2000's average 6.3 wins per season
5 seasons 6 wins or less
ZERO seasons 10+ wins

2010's average 8.3 wins per season
ZERO seasons 6 wins or less (first time in the history of the program)
1 season 10+ wins
Sq 17
10 wins is a made up stat from the Buttertooth era at tu, Mac and tu was not as successful as DKR was in the 60's. Some marketing guy came up with a new measuring stick to pretend the horns were as good as they used to be.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Sq 17 said:

10 wins is a made up stat from the Buttertooth era at tu, Mac and tu was not as successful as DKR was in the 60's. Some marketing guy came up with a new measuring stick to pretend the horns were as good as they used to be.

Those queers got their natty, I want one.
Bryanisbest
AG
Bryant03 said:

I agree if ALL we get out of Jimbo is 10 win seasons then it's not what we all want. But if y'all don't see the correlation btw 10 win seasons (even if it takes a bowl) and the impact it has on a program then I can't help you see it. Hell 11-1 may get you invite to the playoff and that's huuuge for us!

I want an SEC West 1st place finish, an SEC Championship and of course the Natty. You won't see me b**** if we win 10 the next two seasons.

If all we get out of Jimbo is ten win seasons . . . " I'll take a few 10 win seasons right now. Case closed.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.