Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

10 win seasons.

6,462 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bryanisbest
Bryant03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
become the norm starting this year. That's all
Ex-liberalag12
Bryant03 said:

aggiejim70
AG
I dunno, there will be a lot of unhappy campers on here next January if we go 9-3 and beat some middle of the pack school in some third tier bowl game.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I agree. Even with a 9-3 regular season win and a bowl win over another Power 5 team in a second-tier bowl, it will be our first 10+ win season since 2012. Jimbo Fisher has gone 26-10 and 17-8 (9-2 in home games, 6-6 in road games, and 2-0 in neutral site games against Arkansas) in SEC games. By contrast, Kevin Sumlin went 51-26 and 25-23 in SEC games, but just 8-14 in SEC home games. Jimbo already posted more SEC home wins in 3 years than Sumlin posted in 6 years.
Meximan
aggiejim70 said:

I dunno, there will be a lot of unhappy campers on here next January if we go 9-3 and beat some middle of the pack school in some third tier bowl game.

That would literally be 10 wins
Divining Rod
^ I think that's his point. 10 wins aint always all that...
Charlie Murphy
Divining Rod said:

^ I think that's his point. 10 wins aint always all that...
Man, Jimbo has really raised program expectations quickly...
isitjustme
AG
A whole lot of Ags want to compete for a natl championship every year. 9-3 regular seasons, even 10-2, are fun but won't get a team in the playoff discussion in most years. We need to start focusing on getting in the SEC championship game first. Then we'll be in playoff talk.
Bryant03
AG
I agree if ALL we get out of Jimbo is 10 win seasons then it's not what we all want. But if y'all don't see the correlation btw 10 win seasons (even if it takes a bowl) and the impact it has on a program then I can't help you see it. Hell 11-1 may get you invite to the playoff and that's huuuge for us!

I want an SEC West 1st place finish, an SEC Championship and of course the Natty. You won't see me b**** if we win 10 the next two seasons.
PascalsWager
AG
If Jimbo goes 30-9 over 3 seasons with no playoff appearances, that would be our greatest ever run by a mile.

There's a level of program that exists between 8-5 and annual playoff team. If all Jimbo does is get us to that level, I'd be satisfied.
Saint Pablo
Should have started last year had there been no COVID
SinKiller
PascalsWager said:

If Jimbo goes 30-9 over 3 seasons with no playoff appearances, that would be our greatest ever run by a mile.

There's a level of program that exists between 8-5 and annual playoff team. If all Jimbo does is get us to that level, I'd be satisfied.
What? If you went 30-9 and got thumped by Texas every year, is that an historic run? Substitute Bama for Texas and how does it look? We've got 3 kinda above average wins off the top of my head, LSU (7OT's), Florida and then a depleted N.C. team in the bowl.

Basically what you laid out is why we don't win NC's, we take the stuff you talk about above as satisfaction as you say. How about, all you do is beat average teams and then spit the bit when you get a chance to prove you belong with the big boys. You guys make this too easy on Jimbo, hopefully he sees 30-9 as we've got a lot of work left to do, and I think he does. He wasn't brought here to go 30-9, he was brought here to win an NC.
isitjustme
AG
PascalsWager said:

42-5-1 from 91-94 was pretty darn good. Of course, that included losing 3 straight Cottons. But we forget some times how good we were during those days.
Agsuffering@bulaw
30-9 would not be record setting. Bible, Norton, Emory, Jackie, and RC all had comparable or better 3 year runs.

"Historical" is too vague a term.
yell_on_6th st
AG
isitjustme said:

PascalsWager said:

42-5-1 from 91-94 was pretty darn good. Of course, that included losing 3 straight Cottons. But we forget some times how good we were during those days.

Geez, that tie sucked donkey balls.
isitjustme
AG
It sure did - SMU. We couldn't go to a bowl game in 94 anyway.
Bryant03
AG
isitjustme said:

It sure did - SMU. We couldn't go to a bowl game in 94 anyway.

First undefeated season in modern times, we tie SMU and aren't even eligible to play in a bowl or win a Natty. The irony.
AR Ag
AG
Losing to Bama is not comparable to losing to Texas. They have never been what Bama is right now.
PascalsWager
AG
Jimbo hasn't reached 10 win in consecutive seasons yet. No A&M team has against top level competition (which I consider the Big 12 era and beyond).

I don't claim to be an expert of competition level pre-integration. I'm not sure how meaningful any of that is anyway. Most the 80s and 90s runs were not anywhere near this level of competition. You might have enjoyed them, but they weren't the same.

I'd love to win a national title. But we can't even win 10 games in two consecutive seasons.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
If you want to be the new Bama, first you gotta be the new Georgia. I think Jimbo has that in him at the very least.
infinity ag
You folks are a bit too optimistic. We will get there in time but it will take a few more years.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
PascalsWager said:

Jimbo hasn't reached 10 win in consecutive seasons yet. No A&M team has against top level competition (which I consider the Big 12 era and beyond).

I don't claim to be an expert of competition level pre-integration. I'm not sure how meaningful any of that is anyway. Most the 80s and 90s runs were not anywhere near this level of competition. You might have enjoyed them, but they weren't the same.

I'd love to win a national title. But we can't even win 10 games in two consecutive seasons.
I agree. Since joining a Power 5 conference (Big 12 era and beyond), we have not won 10+ games in consecutive seasons yet. Even with Johnny Manziel, we went 11-2 in 2012 and 9-4 finish in 2013. I would love for our team to win the SEC west, SEC championship, and the national championship. But the next step is winning 10+ games in at least two consecutive years. I believe we can achieve that in these next two years, even if it might require a bowl win to reach a 10th win.
Johnsy3
AG
Would you rather win 9 regular season games + a bowl game
Johnsy3
AG
Or win 10 regular season games and lose a bowl game
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
It would depend on the bowl opponent and margin of victory/loss in each scenario. I'd rather win 10 regular season games and lose a tight one to a top 8 team then win 9 regular season games and win a tight one vs a non top 25 big 12 team.

I think we can be much better than both scenarios this year. We are looking at 3-4 1st round picks on this roster for this draft alone. We will see though!
gabe7609
The problem is that those dominant days in the Southwest Conference are no longer relevant. I seriously doubt most high school recruits today have even heard of the Southwest Conference. The Aggies most recent best season is still the '98 Big 12 Championship in my opinion.
SinKiller
AR Ag said:

Losing to Bama is not comparable to losing to Texas. They have never been what Bama is right now.

You're clearly, or purposely, missing the point.
mcag83
AG
Bryant03 said:

You think very small.....

That's all......
Like anyone can even know that.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Should have started last year. Damn Ole Miss game.
OSOB
Agsuffering@bulaw
True, but some of the best 3 year runs saw us losing 1-2 games a year. We had inferior resources to the sips. Probably arkie too. We usually scheduled great ooc opponents. RCs run saw a very soft conference, but not the other great runs.
Aggieair
Johnsy3 said:

Or win 10 regular season games and lose a bowl game
If that bowl game is a playoff semifinal, then yeah, since it's a step in the direction. Though it's also unlikely to be in the playoffs with 2 losses. If the bowl game is a NY6 in either scenario, the answer is obvious. If the 10 wins means NY6 and 9 wins means Outback or Citrus, then NY6 all the way.
AggieVictor10
AG
HELL YEAH
TexanJeff
AG
That loss to Tulsa and tie to SMU still sting
aggiejim70
AG
TexanJeff said:

That loss to Tulsa and tie to SMU still sting
Yup, and I was at both of them.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Jimbo4win
AG
So far Jimbo's record here is astonishingly similar to his first three seasons at FSU. A&M first three seasons: 9-4, 8-5 and 9-1(shortened season) to FSU first three seasons: 10-4, 9-4, 12-2. The next three seasons at FSU? 14-0, 13-1 and 10-3
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.