Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Was Jimbo this bullish last offseason?

7,414 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Triple-T
Come On
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His recent comments, which I love, are downright cocky. Was he this way last offseason?

He knows the team better than anyone. Buying or selling?
BASrecoverypatient
I'm *gulp* all for it
TxAg76
AG
I know we're the kings of "next year", but I really do think we'll be absolutely nasty and hard for anyone to handle next year.

This year I think we'll be pretty good, but not quite Championship good yet. Rookie QB, lots of green OLine, and who knows at WRs.
Ag Tag
TxAg76 said:

I know we're the kings of "next year", but I really do think we'll be absolutely nasty and hard for anyone to handle next year.

This year I think we'll be pretty good, but not quite Championship good yet. Rookie QB, lots of green OLine, and who knows at WRs.
Ascending, no doubt about it.
Agsuffering@bulaw
No
West Point Aggie
AG
Traditionally no programs has been in "next year" mode more than A&MI mean like we've owned that mantra

Then there's that Bama problemquite the hump to get over
Let’s Go Brandon!
itsyourboypookie
TxAg76 said:

We don't rebuild, we reload.

Get use to it
1st Generation Ag
TxAg76 said:

We were nasty last year. #4 final ranking, 9-1, led the SEC in defense, Orange Bowl champs. No one expected that much.

Hard as it may be to believe, we're already great. Now, to add some hardware . . .
Jevertson
AG
These are his guys on the field and he knows this is our chance to take another step forward. I don't like the bulletin board material but this is a public vote of confidence in his guys and he generally tells it how it is. So no, he hasn't while at A&M, but you have to like the reasons.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
To dethrone the king you have to believe it's possible. I think jimbo sees the gap has closed dramatically and he is letting his team know that the time is now. Jimbo is pretty calculated so I would be surprised if he didn't have a plan behind this comment.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
If we are any better, we are in the playoffs. That's pretty simple math. So are we a playoff team this year?
rsf0626
Great programs maintain and keep building on what they did they year before despite losing talent. Thats the next step for A&M. Consistency
rsf0626
Charlie Murphy
I think Jimbo knows the defense is going to be one of the best he's ever fielded. Top 10 total defense last year returning most of the starters. Think we've got DT covered with Jackson replacing Brown, just need to find the right guys at LB.
texagg14
AG
I like the confidence but think he needs to focus on doing his best and getting best out of players day-to-day and not poke the bear that already mauls our face off every year.
canaAg12
AG
I love it! Shows how much he loves and believes in the guys in his locker room. Who cares about bulletin board material? No different that great teams having a target on their back to be beaten. The other teams still have to execute game plans. Extra motivation can sometimes lead to blown assignments.
Oknows
AG
I think he's finally got a team where the core has had some success and is using some coach speak to keep the momentum going. While I'm sure a lot of it is genuine, I'm sure he's also using words to inspire confidence in a team that is replacing it's QB and oline. More talented, probably, but 19 and 20 year olds are not the same as 22 and 23 year olds.
TMF
AG
I like it, but Yawn. Jimbo probably still needs another year or two of his recruiting to "be there". Real SEC football isn't freshman and sophomores.
DaveS89
AG
This team has possibly 4 1st round picks in the next draft. And they are Juniors. Talent is there, if QB can do it.
W
AG
Jimbo knows his 2021 QB has a higher ceiling than the previous guy
Schall 02
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

I think Jimbo knows the defense is going to be one of the best he's ever fielded. Top 10 total defense last year returning most of the starters. Think we've got DT covered with Jackson replacing Brown, just need to find the right guys at LB.

TexanJeff
AG
He knows if we were that good last year with one 3rd round pick and 3 fourth rounders, this years team with 4 first rounders gonna be good.
Agception
AG
The audio was garbled but thought the question was, are you going to beat Alabama before saban retires? And he said I'll beat his ass while he's there. Not necessarily indicating this year.
Meanmachine
AG
It's a lot easier to be cocky when you have good players. Every recruiting class he has brought in is better than the one before it. Experience only matters when you have a bunch of 3 star guys who are limited athletically. When you have top end talent coaching them up and letting them play matters. We will be better in 21 than we were in 2020. If we out coach Saban this year we will beat them, the talent gap is a lot smaller than when he got here.
isitjustme
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

TxAg76 said:

We were nasty last year. #4 final ranking, 9-1, led the SEC in defense, Orange Bowl champs. No one expected that much.

Hard as it may be to believe, we're already great. Now, to add some hardware . . .
Show me a last season type performance in a non-covid year and I'll believe we're great. Otherwise, we'll keep our crown as king of next year.
greg.w.h
AG
isitjustme said:

1st Generation Ag said:

TxAg76 said:

Show me a last season type performance in a non-covid year and I'll believe we're great. Otherwise, we'll keep our crown as king of next year.
Odd take. Must not really enjoy good years when we have them.
rgag12
AG
No, at this point there was a very good chance there was going to be NO season. Karen's and Coronabros ruled the roost and if anyone talked about doing anything other than cowering in fear inside a house they were accused of wanting to kill millions.

So you heard absolutely zero chatter from coaches whatsoever.
Nitro Power
AG
Came here for the disillusions...was not disappointed
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
1st Generation Ag
Last year wasn't normal, but it doesn't diminish the accomplishment. It was an all-SEC schedule plus the Orange Bowl. We all watched the team get stronger as the season wore on. The 2020 Aggies were legit.
SamHou
Time to be cocky
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
TxAg76 said:

The kings of next year is simply an unintelligent comment created by those who are envious or jealous.

Every single fan base that has seen their team win a natty said "We'll get em all next year", over and over untill it finally happened.

Aggies persevere.
Bryanisbest
AG
texagg14 said:

I like the confidence but think he needs to focus on doing his best and getting best out of players day-to-day and not poke the bear that already mauls our face off every year.

Where have you been the last 3 years. Your recommendations have been continuous since Jimbo arrived. And they haven't changed AT ALL!
Txhuntr
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

Last year wasn't normal, but it doesn't diminish the accomplishment. It was an all-SEC schedule plus the Orange Bowl. We all watched the team get stronger as the season wore on. The 2020 Aggies were legit.

I mean, we would've gone 11-1 last year with the original schedule. We traded in the cupcakes (Colorado included) for 2 additional SEC opponents.
Gump 02
AG
TxAg76 said:

I think there is too much emphasis placed on this. Many teams have won with 1st year starters, and the first two that come to mind are Florida St. and Clemson.
Agsuffering@bulaw
We have not finished ranked in consecutive seasons since JFF. Before that, have to go back to last century. I like Jimbo, but he just made it so easy for the media to twist and throw this back at us.
Win At Life
AG
I read the title of this thread wrong. Can't say without getting the ban
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.