Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Provide Me Better "Likeness" Financial Opportunities...

2,206 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maroonthrunthru
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
... or I hit the Transfer Portal and go to the highest bidder !!!

That day may be here... If not, it's coming...
rootube
AG
Like when coaches get better offers and split town in the middle of the night and somehow the world keeps turning.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Wonder if Texags has been approached by the AD with all of this stuff. Seems like having a media company as your supporting arm for future recruit highlight videos and marketing would be a boon, especially if you can show how they can parlay that work they already do into greater sponsorship dollars around town and nation wide.

Other thing is I wonder what happens to the Pulse after this. Seems like they are getting advertising dollars on ESPN and YouTube through it, you would think some of that money would need to go to the players now.
jja79
AG
Sometimes even leaving their Christmas tree behind.
redleg82
AG
I think the smart play is to develop a NIL office/department to guide student athletes through this and helpm them maximize NIL. Of course, you have to perform well to be in demand. Smart teams will get out in front of this.
Azariah
AG
While I am all for NIL, there is zero chance it doesn't turn into just straight paying players. Once it becomes standard in college football, schools will have departments setup to help
players maximize their NIL revenue righter alongside other facilities like the nutrition program and barbershop. Bag men will come into the light and license players' NIL on the up and up, whether they use it or not.

At no point am I sweating A&M's facilities or it's financial commitment to winning football. We will be just fine.

The larger question of what this does for college football is a different point entirely. It will definitely change things, but I think for the better. First, it will bring stuff that's already widespread into the light, and there will be a more level playing field when schools don't have to choose between playing by the rules and winning. Second, this is the society America has chosen. The free market is what our country champions, and we can't just chuck those ideals out the window because we like a sport the way it is.

The only way I see the NCAA getting out ahead of this is to run all NIL through themselves as a clearinghouse. That would keep schools from adding the NIL facilities to the never ending spending war.
TheWoodsAg
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Other thing is I wonder what happens to the Pulse after this. Seems like they are getting advertising dollars on ESPN and YouTube through it, you would think some of that money would need to go to the players now.

Pretty sure it's just part of the regular ESPN/SECN TV contract. We use the show as a developmental vehicle for 12th Man Productions and a promotional item for the AD and the University. Don't think we get any extra $ for it at all.

Better question is what do they do with the al the TV contract $, especially when Disney gives each SEC school another $20 million a year to broadcast the SEC game of the week.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Could probably keep this simple. Say a group of alums start "fighting farmers NIL, LLC."

They offer all A&M commits a 3 year deal, with a corporate option for year 4 and 5. The deal would pay a monthly base, plus more for games started, number of snaps played, number of snaps played against conference opponents and bowls, awards won, success of the team, etc. A material Part of that deal requires the student to be enrolled at and playing for A&M. The contract could require any legal dispute to be settled in Brazos County.

He's locked in at that point. He transfers, we go to court in front of an Aggie judge and take whatever money he is making at the new program. Would only have to do that once to make the point.

I guess we could see issues where a 3rd year player projected to go late in the draft threatens to declare if the contract is not reworked. Those would be uncommon. And heck, wouldn't it have been worth it to pay Bobby Brown $50k to stay another year?

With both brown and McKinley in the rotation, opponents could forget about running inside.
TxAg76
AG
I've always felt if they follow thru with this, there should be a mandate for all schools to escrow the money until they finish their degree, and not cut em any checks until after they receive their diploma.
Or if they do, it's a small stipend that's uniform for every player, and draws against their individual balance.

If they transfer, it's forfeited, returns to the school's fund, and they start over wherever they land.

If they leave early for the NFL, they've got 5 years to finish their degree, otherwise it's forfeited and returned to school's fund.
maroonthrunthru
Some of you guys are spot on and some miss the point...

The school doesn't have to do anything... Daddy GotRocks can sign a $100k contract with an athlete for exclusive "rights" to a players likeness, and never take a single photo... He can do this in lieu of a $100k contribution to the school...

It will become a legal way to pay players to attend Ol' State U...

If the player feels like he isn't getting enough, he can transfer without repercussions...

Just like the test of us do in business every day...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.