Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo to TD Club re: Saban "We're going to beat his ass."

10,707 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ol Rock
1st Generation Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sleepybeagle said:

Does anyone remember years ago when Mac and the sips looked like an unbeatable dynasty?
It sure looked like Mack built a self-oiling recruiting machine that could not be challenged by any other Texas school. But OU didn't view them as unbeatable, or even a dynasty.
halfastros81
AG
They were never viewed as a dynasty like Alabama is widely viewed today by anyone other than themselves.
1st Generation Ag
Precisely.
hunter2012
AG
ActualTalkingThermos said:

hunter2012 said:

It would be freaking great if Jimbo out-muscles and overpowers Bama BECAUSE Saban has gone full hurry up no huddle. Speed for the sake of speed eventually costs team toughness-wise and I really believe it favors Jimbo's offense late in the game against most teams. I just think it would be great to out-grit Saban like his early teams used to do. That sends a different message than leaning on an athletic QB(Saban's supposed Achilles Heel). Out gritting Saban is the way to topple the dynasty in the long run.
Saban doesn't do speed for the sake of speed, he does speed for the sake of scoring points and winning games. That Bama offense last year was one of the best in CFB history, and they certainly had physicality on the OL and at RB.

"Toughness" is just a bad metric by which to measure offensive success.
Toughness is a metric to measure Defensive success though, Chavis' defenses were so much softer than his LSU squads and the reason why was our offense. Think about it, if the offense is basically operating HUNH 7 on 7 in practice, how in the world can you expect the defense to show up on gameday and effectively hit and tackle when they haven't been playing all week?

The mentality needs to be established for both sides, because sometimes you need the offense to make the yard or you need the defense to make the stop. I'd call Bama's Offense last year an outlier because it may very well be the best in CFB history, so that's not a long term model for success. Saban's genius is that he adapts very well to the game and his specific teams, but I guarantee that Bama's offense takes a step back this year stats-wise, which is why I think it's an opportune time to punch them in the mouth. He's been building the team towards HUNH since Kiffin, which is great when he has the WRs like last year, I don't think that level of talent can so easily be reloaded.

Regardless how great would it be if we controlled the 4th quarter and choked them out like we did during our win streak last year?
Win At Life
AG
Alabama is a place where every freshman 5-star recruit gets mentored by a senior 5-star recruit with 3 more years of weight training, film study and play-book review than he. It's unreal. Maybe we beat them this year. The ball bounces funny sometimes and you can take advantage of that if you're prepared.
SinKiller
Romello said:

What makes Bama great under Sabans leadership is that he has an NFL talent roster playing as a team with a common goal. Some teams get some superstars some get many great players but Saban has an entire football team filled with blue chip men fully bought in on winning first and everything else falls into place.
They play unbelievably hard and physical. They're not self-promoting after a tackle 10 yards down the field. He doesn't have selfish players that opt out. Saban tells the players how it's gonna be, it's not a democracy.

Most importantly, he has the best talent in America.
Ag Tag

"We're going to beat his ass..."

Well, that's rude.
AggiepapaBill
Who cares if it is rude as long as it is true!
wilhunting
Agsuffering@bulaw
"Spread offense = soft defense" is an old HS coach mentality. Coaches instill toughness through their approach. Sumlin didn't, Jimbo does.

Chavis's defenses came under a lot of criticism even his last few years at LSU. I remember a bunch of tigers coming onto this board and saying good riddance. Chavis was an average tactician by today's SEC standards. Good offensive minds often beat him in the 4th quarter, if able to keep it close in the first 3. The term "3rd and Chavis" was coined by LSU people, not us.
West Point Aggie
AG
Alrighty thenseems like a lot of talk from someone who has never beaten Saban and a program that has not won against UA since 2012 (almost a decade ago now)

Frankly I think this kind of boasting makes Saban chuckle and makes us look very Ole Piss (that's not a compliment)
Let’s Go Brandon!
Showstopper
AG
Would be nice if we actually beat their ass as much as we talk about beating their ass.
aTm2004
AG
Saban responds. I'm worried.

Jarrin' Jay
AG
sleepybeagle said:

Does anyone remember years ago when Mac and the sips looked like an unbeatable dynasty?

Uh, no. 1 NC and two little 12 titles does not qualify when in the other years they were routinely losing to OU by 40+ and numerous other games. Hell even the NC they got they would not have won that game if Reggie Bush wasn't showboating and tried to lateral a ball when running downfield. But it was earned and deserved. But the horns were nowhere close to be any kinds of dynasty during the height of Mack's tenure.

As for Saban and Bama, THAT is a dynasty, the likes of which college football has never seen, and he will win at least one more NC before he leaves. It is the perfect combination of a hard-a$$ obsessed coach, talent pool, culture, expectations, and program.

I love what Jimbo said, along with the #4 ranking being 3 spots too low. Jimbo has changed the culture and expectations. As he himself said, he wouldn't be here unless he thought he and aTm could be every bit as successful as Saban at Bama.

When you look at the metrics for Jimbo 3 years in, Kyle Field record, records vs. ranked teams, 2-1 vs. swamp kitten, the # of losses and the dynamics of the losses....... Jimbo is WELL ahead of where I hoped he would be. I do expect a step back next season with new QB / developing young QB and re-tooled OL, but with the way he is recruiting and developing players and DEPTH, it would not surprise me at all if starting in 2022 we go on a run of 6 consecutive 9+ win seasons, win the SEC and NC, etc., etc.

And I hope in Jimbo's 8th year we extend his contract by 5 or 7 years.......
BASrecoverypatient
infinity ag said:

Oh boy.

My BAS acting up again.

I hope we didn't jinx it for next year and have a mediocre 7-5 win season.

This isn't helping with my recovery
GreatSullysGhost
Sabans reply was just as good. I love the back and forth. Makes the off season fun
Jinkies.
1st Generation Ag
Alabama gets everyone's best shot. We're the best opponent on their schedule so we're going to get theirs no matter what. If we're going to be the champs, we can't depend on flying under the radar so as to catch the Tide having an off day. Might as well fire up the troops.
85AustinAg
AG
I understand it I just wish that on the whole we could get past it because its not real, its not reality. I've been an A&M fan and then alumnus my whole life and I've been through some crappy times but we all need to really look ahead at what is in front of us and all of the opportunities we have - and not at past shortcomings. Across all sports we are on the rise (baseball is about to turn the page and join the vision)!
BQ78
AG
Love the confidence of both coaches.
Saint Pablo
Hell yeah Jimbo!
infinity ag
AggiepapaBill said:

Who cares if it is rude as long as it is true!

It's not true yet.

It may be acceptable if he said it AFTER he beats his ass on the field. Until then it's an empty boast which may come back to haunt him.
infinity ag
BQ78 said:

Love the confidence of both coaches.

I would have been happier if he has said "We will win the Natty in the next 3 years" rather than "we will beat Saban's ass.

I am okay if he loses all his games against Bama if we can manage to win the final prize.
Ag Tag
All of this reminds me, have any of y'all heard anything out of Ed Orgeron lately? I haven't.
Saint Pablo
Ag Tag said:

All of this reminds me, have any of y'all heard anything out of Ed Orgeron lately? I haven't.

That sleazeball athletic department keeping quiet
aTm2004
AG
Skeletor neutered him when she arrived.
infinity ag
1st Generation Ag
infinity ag said:

Now who's got bulletin board material.
Cassius
They had 5 round 1 draft picks. Our first pick came in round 3.

It's talent, not mental.

We might be closing the gap, but they still have an edge .
Jimbo4win
AG
I wonder which of the following will come true this year?

A) We beat Bama but another SECW team wins the West by going undefeated.
B) We beat Bama but Bama still wins the SECW because we lose two other SEC games.
C) We beat Bama and win the SECW.
D) We lose to Bama
ghowe
AG
Jimbo it would seem is pretty calculated doesn't say too much off the cuff. He knew this would get out. This is public reinforcement of a message he is using with the team privately.
Ol Rock
AG
I think we, as fans, take things too seriously. Both Jimbo and Saban are hyper competitive, but I bet they are friends and give eachother crap. Saban's response is fierce and funny. Sounds like they are having a good time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.