Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Which FBS teams do the best job of translating recruiting success to NFL draft picks?

2,923 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by J-Licious
medog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting thread and as expected t.u. way underperforms.

Agsuffering@bulaw
Interesting. Surprised most of sumlins recruits were that close to par.

ETA: of course a lot of them were developed on Jimbo's watch.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Bama doing more with more and it shows on the field
TexanJeff
AG
Michigan fans are not impressed with this Graph
halfastros81
AG
Can't wait to see this chart for 2018-2022 period.

I think Ags will be up in Georgia/LSU territory. Closer to LSU hopefully
Txhuntr
AG
TexanJeff said:

The one thing that stuck out to me as well. I guess draft success doesn't necessarily translate to on field success
Agsuffering@bulaw
Guessing that pro-style systems have an advantage, all thing being equal.
Meximan

His team collapsing in the postseason for a decade plus is nonsense
neutics
AG
Now add North Dakota State to this chart...two picks in the first two rounds plus one in the fourth this year.

They have a history of finding hidden gems from the Midwest, but I say this not to disparage A&M at all as it's easy to cherry pick an individual year and extrapolate the results.

Nice to see tu underperforming however.
SinKiller
Txhuntr said:

TexanJeff said:

The one thing that stuck out to me as well. I guess draft success doesn't necessarily translate to on field success
They really have nothing to do with each other. The draft is of individuals that may or may not be put in ideal situations to succeed in the NFL. We could have 5 long snappers in the league for 10 years each, that's not gonna translate to a lot of W/L either way.

The draft is cool and everything, it's not gonna make that much of a difference in recruiting. Saban can promise rings, literally, promise rings, that trumps anything else. OSU, Clemson somewhat the same thing. These kids are going to win and play in big games.
Meximan
Wrong, recruits literally and consistently talk effusive praise about how the draft record of Jimbo and Saban are very, very high selling points in choosing a school. Listen to Texags radio more.
Ugly
AG
I'd be interested to se a modification of this graph taking head coaching tenure into account.
SinKiller
Meximan said:

Wrong, recruits literally and consistently talk effusive praise about how the draft record of Jimbo and Saban are very, very high selling points in choosing a school. Listen to Texags radio more.
I disagree, most will never make it...If you're good, you're getting in the league if you play at Rice or A&M...
halfastros81
AG
Disagree a bit. Saban gets the quality of guys he gets in large part because of his tremendous record of producing guys that get drafted high. All about making it to the league and getting paid. That's the way the recruits view it anyway. Once they are in The fold it's all about team and winning because that's the culture but I am sure the NFL draft record sells recruits on Bama.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Unless you go to the sips.
greg.w.h
AG
TexanJeff said:

They should be. Fourth most drafted without benefit of high rating service numbers. Either rating services are awful or coaching gets them ready for the pros. You choose which
6.5 Swede
How about comparing it to actually having a NFL career. Per Spotrac we are tied for 10th with most players and earnings. And if you add in for Jimbo/FSU the combination means we are above Bama.
tu- DDU * where NFL Dreams go to Die U
J-Licious
AG
I wonder if they factored in transfers out (like Kyler) that later were drafted. If they counted him for OU, that would be misleading if they were tying them to recruiting classes//rankings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.