Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jevonte Williams sitting out the Orange Bowl...

9,974 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

So basically you are saying he absolutely would have gotten injured?

Or our stout run defense would have lowered his stock?

Or both?
Neither. I'm saying it was a pointless risk he didn't have to take.

Then what's the point of playing once your prove your draft status?
Sit our the whole year
mccag
S
Solid advice! I approve
GIG'EM AGS. One Game At A Time!
akm91
AG
lil_frog8 said:

Aggie said:

alamogeorge said:

wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?

This is the dumbest commonly accepted argument every year.

This

Where does it end ? At what point do players start sitting out just more than bowl games?
Once you prove your draft stock then call it quits right?
Last month of season, .. entire senior season?

What about HS players start sitting out once they are committed?

You know can't risk injury in meaningless games .

The direction this is going in is not good, I don't expect anyone under the age of 30 to really understand because with young folks everything in life is a me me me mentality.
But it is just widely accepted now that top players will sit out bowl games to protect themselves, and it will just continue to increase.
You will start seeing players sit out more than just bowl games in the near future
Nick Bosa set the precedent on that already.
Bosa was injured a few games into his junior year and had surgery. Maybe he could've made it back towards the end of the season but no one knows if he would've been completely recovered in time.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
Aggie said:

alamogeorge said:

wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?

This is the dumbest commonly accepted argument every year.

This

Where does it end ? At what point do players start sitting out just more than bowl games?
Once you prove your draft stock then call it quits right?
Last month of season, .. entire senior season?

What about HS players start sitting out once they are committed?

You know can't risk injury in meaningless games .

The direction this is going in is not good, I don't expect anyone under the age of 30 to really understand because with young folks everything in life is a me me me mentality.
But it is just widely accepted now that top players will sit out bowl games to protect themselves, and it will just continue to increase.
You will start seeing players sit out more than just bowl games in the near future
Well since NFL doesn't draft underclassmen, I think it's safe to say that won't be happening.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Coachbro20
wbt5845 said:

... just paid off. $4-$5 MM.

Congrats being taken #35 over all. As usual, it pays off to skip the bowl game if you're guaranteed a high draft choice.

Those here who said him sitting out the bowl game was a mistake are welcome to man up and admit you were wrong. Not holding my breath, though.
The RB's drafted ahead of him played in bowl games. Your point is invalid.
Jarrin' Jay
AG

So because he sat out the Orange Bowl he got paid $4-$5 MM? I sat out the Orange Bowl too, what do I get paid?

Why are you congratulating him? Do you know him personally or are a NC fan? Either way, why are you congratulating him on a TX A&M fan forum?

Quote:

Congrats being taken #35 over all. As usual, it pays off to skip the bowl game if you're guaranteed a high draft choice.

Those here who said him sitting out the bowl game was a mistake are welcome to man up and admit you were wrong. Not holding my breath, though.

No, not as usual, he was not the first RB taken, or the 2nd. There are RBs that played their bowl games that got drafted higher, some lower. In the past there are RBs and other players that suffered injuries in a bowl game that still got drafted high, and some that didn't get dratted high or at all.

Nobody has to admit they were wrong for an opinion.

BTW, he would not have been the best RB in the Orange Bowl game, he would have been the 3rd best. Also, how much are you charging to be a member of the Jevonte Williams fan club?
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

They were playoff games. There is a difference. The NFL would have had a problem with missed playoff games.
Coachbro20
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Quote:

They were playoff games. There is a difference. The NFL would have had a problem with missed playoff games.
The way college football is set up these days they are ALL playoff games.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The Orange Bowl was not a playoff this year

Coachbro20
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

The Orange Bowl was not a playoff this year

10-4 Bossman
W
AG
Aggie said:

wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?

Then what's the point of playing once your prove your draft status?
Sit our the whole year
oh, this is coming very soon. Players will play until their team picks up loss #2 (i.e. out of playoff contention)...and then they will quit.

saw a little bit of this last year with Pitts and Marshall; and the cougar high QB the year before
yell_on_6th st
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

yell_on_6th st said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

It's their choice what they want to be and want to do with their lives and bodies. The NFL rewards talent and potential; it doesn't reward players who are injured even if it was because they were being good teammates. These guys only go to college to play football to go the NFL and when they have secured a gig at the next level, they should be able to do whatever they want. Until the NFL changes what it values, then these players will continue to do this.

Also, I think some, not all, of you are being hypocrites. If you had some internship that caused you to work long hours, be paid very little, had restrictions on your entire life, and wouldn't let you work another job outside that internship, then had a company come and guarantee you a job regardless of if you finished your internship, a bunch of y'all would quit that day. I know I would. Feel free to judge me.

Comparing boring, office intern job to team development necessary to success in D1 football...

What an idiot!

In medicine, your first year of residency is called an "intern" year which prepares you to be a doctor and you are labeled as an "intern". It's long hours, little pay and and just a step that is on the way to bigger, better and more complicated things.

Thanks for making my point, they should stick with it and not quit.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
As for A&M and my NFL team of choice....

I don't want players at A&M that will not finish their career and season by not playing, quitting on their team, coaches and their commitment. I don't even care about the fan angle.

As an NFL GM or HC, I would look unfavorably on any player that bails on his team at the end of his last season and sits out the last game or last couple of games. Successful NFL teams are not built on selfish attitudes and players. Understand talent is talent, but there are other players that don't quit on their team that I would rather have.

What's next, opting out of the 4Q when your team is behind and likely to lose, opting out of a late season non-conference game, opting out of the remainder of the season when your team get a 2nd loss in the first weekend of October, opting out of the game winning drive until your team is in the red zone, etc., etc., etc.?

Quitters should not be paid or rewarded, in a real world scenario they should have to repay their pro-rata scholly for the entire season if they quit and don't play the last game, bowl game or not.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I get the concern over the slippery sloap. But, it does not appear to be happening. The industry standard expects players to play the regular season, CCG, and playoff games.

Some opted out under false pretenses in 2020. It was BS, but that option will not be available going forward.

And frankly, I support players like Donovan Wilson skipping the bowl to get an early start on his rehab or Justin Madabuike sitting b/c of his draft grade. Leon and Peevy got a bunch of reps b/c of those decisions. Plus, they did more for us getting drafted than they would have playing in those bowl games.
Chesapeake Ag
TulaneAg said:

wbt5845 said:

3rd RB taken overall, behind the Bama and Clemson kids. If he'd run for 300 yards against us, he'd still be #3 RB overall.

Harris and Etienne played in their bowl games and got drafted ahead of him. I guess that solves it... Should have played!
Harris and Etienne were in the Playoffs, not just a bowl. They need to fix the system.
sportsfreak1975
TulaneAg said:

Any chance that he could've had a monster Orange Bowl and led his team to victory over the SECs top defense and maybe got drafted 33rd?
This! Pick #32 gets a contract value of $11.2M and a $5.5M signing bonus. So sitting out the bowl game could have cost him $11M potentially.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-much-the-2021-nfl-draft-picks-will-earn-on-their-rookie-contracts-11619726143
cords12
OP your logic is flawed! Your post is full of assumptions. His teammates played in a NY6 bowl game and he sold them out as well as his coaches! This is still a team sport. I know many of the teams give out big Orange Bowl rings win or lose, but he doesn't deserve a ring.
rootube
AG
rootube
AG
Some guy sits out of a meaningless bowl game resulting in zero impact on his NFL draft position or the outcome of the game. I doubt anyone on a NC message board cares at this point but shot are fired on Texags. It just means more indeed.
Class of 65
AG
wbt5845 said:

I don't see the logic of this statement. He could have been drafted number 6 if he had a 200 yard game against A @
Divining Rod
AgStuckinLBK said:

It's their choice what they want to be...

Also, I think some, not all, of you are being hypocrites. If you had some internship that caused you to work long hours, be paid very little, had restrictions on your entire life, and wouldn't let you work another job outside that internship, then had a company come and guarantee you a job regardless of if you finished your internship, a bunch of y'all would quit that day. I know I would. Feel free to judge me.

I'm not judging you. I'm just questioning that you ever played a meaningful team sport. Or maybe you're just really bad at analogies.
Iowaggie
AG
I agree that players are going to do more than just sit out bowl games, but more will basically shut it down if they get an injury and/or their team loses a couple games and no longer playing for meaningful games.

Bowl games are exhibition games and its results mean very little. I understand why a player would sit out going into the bowl game, and I'm guessing that some of those coaches don't mind playing young players in those situtations.

One potential solution to slow players sitting out near the end of season is to expand playoffs to 16 teams. 16 teams probably keeps 24 teams in the running for the playoffs going into the last game. While the current format keeps about 12 teams in the running by about week 5, 60 teams probably still will be playing for an playoff spot by week 5 with a larger field.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.