Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jevonte Williams sitting out the Orange Bowl...

9,973 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
... just paid off. $4-$5 MM.

Congrats being taken #35 over all. As usual, it pays off to skip the bowl game if you're guaranteed a high draft choice.

Those here who said him sitting out the bowl game was a mistake are welcome to man up and admit you were wrong. Not holding my breath, though.
TulaneAg
Any chance that he could've had a monster Orange Bowl and led his team to victory over the SECs top defense and maybe got drafted 33rd?
TexanJeff
AG
So basically you are saying he absolutely would have gotten injured?

Or our stout run defense would have lowered his stock?

Or both?
wbt5845
AG
TexanJeff said:

Or both?
Neither. I'm saying it was a pointless risk he didn't have to take.
wbt5845
AG
3rd RB taken overall, behind the Bama and Clemson kids. If he'd run for 300 yards against us, he'd still be #3 RB overall.
TulaneAg
wbt5845 said:

3rd RB taken overall, behind the Bama and Clemson kids. If he'd run for 300 yards against us, he'd still be #3 RB overall.

Harris and Etienne played in their bowl games and got drafted ahead of him. I guess that solves it... Should have played!
Ag Tag
The best players should all stop playing, to make sure they don't get injured.

This will assure them that they won't ruin their future in football.

QB1
AG
Damn you told them, feel better? Relax bro, get some bourbon, bang your wife, and enjoy the wknd!!!
BlackBear1
AG
That's some pretty terrible logic.
alamogeorge
AG
wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?

This is the dumbest commonly accepted argument every year.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
wbt5845 said:

Congrats being taken #35 over all. As usual, it pays off to skip the bowl game if you're guaranteed a high draft choice.

Those here who said him sitting out the bowl game was a mistake are welcome to man up and admit you were wrong. Not holding my breath, though.

The dude who likes underage women and marching.band competitions just told y'all to man up!!
Al Bula
AG
Typical wbt swing-and-miss post
AWP 97
AG
wbt5845 said:

He could have honored his commitment to help his team and still been drafted in the same slot.
W
AG
3 players from UNC drafted today...and the QB should go top 5 next year
stillmerk
ABATTBQ87
AG
JaMarr Chase, WR from LSU drafted by the Bengals @ #5, sat out the entire 2020 season.
dixichkn
AG
Which only highlights the NFL's underwhelming dedication to teamwork, integrity and fortitude
gocobra
AG
I have been sitting out football since highschool in the early 70's.

So I can expect a call tomorrow?
Aggie
AG
alamogeorge said:

wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?

This

Where does it end ? At what point do players start sitting out just more than bowl games?
Once you prove your draft stock then call it quits right?
Last month of season, .. entire senior season?

What about HS players start sitting out once they are committed?

You know can't risk injury in meaningless games .

The direction this is going in is not good, I don't expect anyone under the age of 30 to really understand because with young folks everything in life is a me me me mentality.
But it is just widely accepted now that top players will sit out bowl games to protect themselves, and it will just continue to increase.
You will start seeing players sit out more than just bowl games in the near future
ccolley68
AG
Aggie said:

alamogeorge said:

wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?

This

Where does it end ? At what point do players start sitting out just more than bowl games?

The direction this is going in is not good, I don't expect anyone under the age of 30 to really understand because with young folks everything in life is a me me me mentality.
But it is just widely accepted now that top players will sit out bowl games to protect themselves, and it will just continue to increase.
You will start seeing players sit out more than just bowl games in the near future
This x1000

I think sitting out the bowl games is stupid and selfish, but if there was some way it could be limited strictly to bowl games, it wouldn't bother me as much, but this is 100% not stopping there. It's no different than the crazy lefties who said:

- don't get so worked up over tearing down statues, it's Robert E Lee or some other known slave owner. Now we have legitimate conversations going on if we should change the face(s) of Mt Rushmore.

- don't get so worked up about trans people wanting to use the bathroom of their choice, it's not like trans men calling themselves women will want to compete in women's sports or something

You give people and inch now, and what would have taken at least a generation to start trying to make that a foot, and they are looking at the mile before you ever gave the inch. They only asked for the inch to see if you would budge and to set themselves up for the end goal mile.

Next step, and it won't be long will be high profile kids will be choosing not to play in non-conference games against non-P5 opponents, or against tough defenses known to hit too hard, or in bad weather conditions, whatever the case.

Don't know what the answer is, maybe instead of having to be 3 'years' removed from high school, players should need X number of games played in or something. Who knows, but it needs to stop.
Amarillo Slim
AG
wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?
This is the difference in team sports and sports business. I personally want team mates not business partners when talking about building a professional football roster.
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
lil_frog8
AG
Aggie said:

alamogeorge said:

wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?

This

Nick Bosa set the precedent on that already.
Divining Rod
when some of these guys mature, and either their money is gone or they realize they would have had that money anyway, what's going to bother them is that they let their teammates down, didnt finish the job, missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity, and will never know how that game or their performance would have turned out.

They'll realize they traded away one of the best experiences in life in the name of money.
Speedystooth
AG
It was the ORANGE BOWL! We hadn't even been to a bowl game that big since '98..
Emilio Fantastico
AG
lil_frog8 said:

Aggie said:

alamogeorge said:

wbt5845 said:

TexanJeff said:

Or both?

This

Nick Bosa set the precedent on that already.

I thought Bosa got hurt early in his last year and just decided to shut it down and rehab for the draft instead of the latter part of the season.
It wasn't like he was completely healthy and decided it was too risky to keep playing.
LesterHaze
Divining Rod said:

when some of these guys mature, and either their money is gone or they realize they would have had that money anyway, what's going to bother them is that they let their teammates down, didnt finish the job, missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity, and will never know how that game or their performance would have turned out.

They'll realize they traded away one of the best experiences in life in the name of money.

Ahh you know, when you accept a scholarship to play football and go to college for free, it just means play when you feel like it.

Sadly, it's an entitled culture thing.
aggiebones
AG
So it worked out for him.
I wonder how it worked for the rest that did same thing?
How'd it work for Hines skipping senior year?
Maybe it works for top couple that try it.
And maybe he ends up soft in pros, gets cut and in a year or two, it's not an option.

It worked THIS time though so you are a genius.
Rec
AG
He could easily have pulled a hammy kneeling for the anthem, which would have been a pointless risk!
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
It's their choice what they want to be and want to do with their lives and bodies. The NFL rewards talent and potential; it doesn't reward players who are injured even if it was because they were being good teammates. These guys only go to college to play football to go the NFL and when they have secured a gig at the next level, they should be able to do whatever they want. Until the NFL changes what it values, then these players will continue to do this.

Also, I think some, not all, of you are being hypocrites. If you had some internship that caused you to work long hours, be paid very little, had restrictions on your entire life, and wouldn't let you work another job outside that internship, then had a company come and guarantee you a job regardless of if you finished your internship, a bunch of y'all would quit that day. I know I would. Feel free to judge me.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I doubt most teammates have a problem with a draft grade sitting out the bowl. Many would do the same.

For that matter, I bet most coaches would rather get reps for the younger players.
yell_on_6th st
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

It's their choice what they want to be and want to do with their lives and bodies. The NFL rewards talent and potential; it doesn't reward players who are injured even if it was because they were being good teammates. These guys only go to college to play football to go the NFL and when they have secured a gig at the next level, they should be able to do whatever they want. Until the NFL changes what it values, then these players will continue to do this.

Also, I think some, not all, of you are being hypocrites. If you had some internship that caused you to work long hours, be paid very little, had restrictions on your entire life, and wouldn't let you work another job outside that internship, then had a company come and guarantee you a job regardless of if you finished your internship, a bunch of y'all would quit that day. I know I would. Feel free to judge me.

Comparing boring, office intern job to team development necessary to success in D1 football...

What an idiot!
Johnny Boyziel 2
AG
Ausbon sat out the whole season. When did he get drafted?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
yell_on_6th st said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

Comparing boring, office intern job to team development necessary to success in D1 football...

What an idiot!

In medicine, your first year of residency is called an "intern" year which prepares you to be a doctor and you are labeled as an "intern". It's long hours, little pay and and just a step that is on the way to bigger, better and more complicated things.
azhector72
exactly

weak argument of not playing

he was never going first round
Bobaloo
Kid is a hammer. Love his running style.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.