Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fullback situation

4,840 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MaroonGoons2020
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Improving or are we becoming even more of a shotgun team?
The Asset 07
AG
The more talent there is on campus the more they move away from traditional sets. Spiller played fullback a couple of times in an as need basis.
TheWoodsAg
AG
If Cupp is available he is your off line TE - H - Fullback. Wydermeyer is our in-line TE - Y. Spiller is our lead RB, can play fullback in situations. Anias and Achane can play anywhere.

Jimbo has the tools to do whatever TF he wants on offense without changing personnel and signaling to the defense what we're doing.

If we can block up front and can find a QB who can be accurate with the ball and not make too many mistakes we are goi g to be downright deadly.
Maroon Flash
AG
Good to see a realistic assessment.
mcag83
AG
Gilly
Like anyone can even know that.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The FB is a role player in this system
akm91
AG
Wouldn't Wydermeyer be the H-back as most thought Cupp was the better blocker?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
greg.w.h
AG
Just wait until Jimbo fills the backfield and runs wishbone...
TopoTacos
AG
greg.w.h said:

Just wait until Jimbo fills the backfield and runs wishbone...

Truly. If we've got everyone at full strength/on the field you could set up in a wishbone scheme with Cupp/Wydermyer, Spiller/Achane/Smith and King under center AND STILL RETAIN ALL YOUR OFFENSIVE CAPABILITIES. All those dudes can block, all those dudes can catch, and you could absolutely throw downfield with the speed available there.

I would love to see this set once a game just to make DC's have a full mental schism on the opposing sideline.
cevans_40
AG
akm91 said:

H-back is predominantly a blocker in most RPO sets.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I was about to say the same thing. H back is kind of a misnomer.

An HBack is usually a jack of all trades and master of none. Can run some routes, can block like a set TE, can serviceably (but rarely much better in college) lead like a FB out of the backfield if needed. The idea is that the Hback gives the playcaller options based on the down/distance and the opposing personnel.

Wydermeyer and Rennick are both more true TEs. Rennick does not lead like a FB, but he is the better blocker. B/c of that, Rennick was more often on the LOS when they were both in the games.

However on several key runs, Rennick would line up at the wing and pull. Usually on 3rd & short or 4th & short.
akm91
AG
Got it. I was thinking H-back was more of a receiving threat than a lead blocker and is sometimes lined up in the backfield.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
TheWoodsAg
AG
akm91 said:

Jalen has played inline the last 2 years and is now an All-Conference caliber player, don't think we'd switch him to H now. Regardless of how they were thought of when they entered the program, Wydermeyer is now the veteran and the guy in the TE room and should get the majority of the snaps.
cevans_40
AG
akm91 said:

Got it. I was thinking H-back was more of a receiving threat than a lead blocker and is sometimes lined up in the backfield.

You are not wrong in that H-back is definitely a receiving threat but it simply gives the flexibility of being a down-hill blocker as they are usually off the ball.
TX_Aggie37
AG
The Asset 07 said:

The more talent there is on campus the more they move away from traditional sets. Spiller played fullback a couple of times in an as need basis.
Should be noted that Spiller only played fullback in situations where we didn't want to allow the defense an opportunity to sub.
AG 73
AG
Do we have any DL or OL personnel that would be good in our goal line packages?
Agsuffering@bulaw
I think that is only part of it. Jimbo said at least once in a press conference that he liked making the opponent play nickel inside their 10. Spiller blocking most NBs was a favorable matchup.

But if they subbed in a ss/olb to play rover, ainias usually had an even more favorable matchup in the passing game.

For those who don't know, the NB for most programs is the 3rd cb. It's a good position for a cb lacking the speed to run with elite WRs but is smart and fundamentally sound. A few programs have a fierce mofo who covers and hits. Erick Young has that potential.
MaroonGoons2020
AG
I must say I learned a thing or two on this thread. Good stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.