Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Explain the concept of a preferred walk-on

6,683 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TX_Aggie37
Guy on a Buffalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These players don't count against the scholarship limit, but do they get some sort of financial assistance? Most of the time they have offers at other schools, so what is their incentive to go the preferred walk-on route?

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
Hey...so.. um
No athletic financial assistance. They usually come from some sort of wealth and don't care about the free ride, but would rather play for X team.

They have an automatic spot on the team and don't have to try out like a normal walkon.
AColunga07
AG
What does an "automatic spot" on the team actually mean? What's the difference between 4th string QB (preferred walk on) and 5th string QB (walk on). Aren't both players on the team? Isn't it also possible for a walk on to move up higher than a scholarship player (almost all of our 12th man players fall into this category, no?).
Agvet12
AG
Means they're not purely targets in practice... the 5th string walk ons will get the ever living **** kicked out of them. They're expendable.

The proffered walkons will get the **** kicked out them a bit less, and it's a way to get certain kids here to fill out the target list
_lefraud_
AG
It's just a gimmick coaches can say/use as a "favor" to a certain family or even high school coach. I've also never understood when walk-ons have a "signing" day...
Emilio Fantastico
AG
As far as "automatic spit" on the roster goes, there are 85 scholarship players and the total roster is limited to 105 except during the season when it is unlimited. So preferred walk-on would get one of the 20 spots from 85 to 105.

I also found this online:
A Walk-on is any non-scholarship athlete. The standard Walk-on is not recruited, but makes the team during tryouts, usually held the first day of school in the fall. A Preferred Walk-on has been recruited, but the coaches don't have a scholarship to offer, so they guarantee a roster spot without having to tryout. A total of 20 Walk-ons are given to opportunity to participate in preseason camp to make up the 105-man roster. The only difference between these 20 players and the other 85 on the roster is the scholarship. They are considered equal in every other aspect. When a need presents itself on the Depth Chart and a scholarship becomes available, the Preferred Walk-ons are generally first in line.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
And if I'm not mistaken, if you are on the 105 man roster, you get to participate in off-season workouts and have training table access. So it is a big advantage over your standard walk-on
gig_em02
I wonder if they also have access to the "fringe" benefits up until the tryout such as tutors, nutritionist, trainers, dorms (but they pay) where as a walk on enrolls and tries out at risk. If they make it then those benefits kick in. This is probably more important for sports with tryouts later in the school year.
In Jimbo we trust
Agsuffering@bulaw
The NCAA caps rosters at, I believe 110. Scholarships are capped at 85 (this year is a 1 off). So, most programs can carry 25 walkons.

At most places, a preferred walk on is guaranteed a spot. How they are treated probably varies significantly.

Because the 1 time waiver, I expect to see more programs carry a preferred walk on or 2 at qb. Programs will struggle even worse to carry 4-5 scholarship QBs. Jimbo did.
Pumpkinhead
AG
raging_agaholic said:

These players don't count against the scholarship limit, but do they get some sort of financial assistance? Most of the time they have offers at other schools, so what is their incentive to go the preferred walk-on route?

I googled the answer for you.

https://www.recruitref.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-a-walk-on-and-a-preferred-walk-on
vander54
S
Walk on tries out. Preferred walk on doesn't. Scholarship plays don't either.

Preferred walk on has to pay to go to school. Scholarship players don't.
World's worst proofreader
DustysLineup
AG
gig_em02 said:

I wonder if they also have access to the "fringe" benefits up until the tryout such as tutors, nutritionist, trainers, dorms (but they pay) where as a walk on enrolls and tries out at risk. If they make it then those benefits kick in. This is probably more important for sports with tryouts later in the school year.
Thought you were talking about cleat chasers.
BrandoC
AG
Preferred walk-ons do not have to go through a try out. Most PWO's could go to other schools to play ball having racked up other offers. Your normal walk-on is normally a kid who already is going to a school but wants a shot at being on the team. There are walk-on transfers but that's because of scholarship numbers.
Agsuffering@bulaw
So what are the things a recruit is looking for:

-free education
-the experience of playing SEC ball
-a future in coaching
-access to great coaching

Bost, the preferred walk-in QB had a scholarship offer at Arkansas state. Who can teach him better, Jimbo or the ark st qb coach?

Maybe he has some financial aid or parents willing to help.

We are getting a walk on long snapper who had offers to army and Air Force. He probably has an academic full ride.
TX_Aggie37
AG
I was a preferred walk on for baseball. You are on the team and have access to everything that comes with it (tutors, meals, etc), but you don't have a scholarship.

Once a regular walk on makes the team, there is no difference. The only difference between me and a walk on that made it while I was there was that I went to school knowing I had a roster spot and he did not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.