Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

FDA approves neck brace to reduce head trauma in football participants

3,753 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sleepybeagle
woodlees
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.jwatch.org/fw117563/2021/02/28/fda-clears-neck-collar-athletes-reduce-trauma-head?query=pfwRSTOC&jwd=000020046816&jspc=TS

Someone send this to Aggie football trainers!

Click on link near bottom to go to device manufacturer website
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
panhandlefarmer
AG
Interesting!!!
sharpdressedman
We will eventually see shock-resistant helmets shaped like basketballs, and it will be good thing.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
sharpdressedman said:

We will eventually see shock-resistant helmets shaped like basketballs, and it will be good thing.

cj774
AG
Champ Bailey said:

sharpdressedman said:

LOL exactly what I was thinking right before I scrolled to your post!
JustisWalkert
AG
OrygunAg
AG
I feel like this is the $250 equivalent of the 90s back brace belts. These were scientifically proven to reduce strain on backs so people strapped up, used worst posture and lifted heavier stuff eventually damaging their backs. Its like that.
gigemags-99
AG
JustisWalkert said:

Didn't work. Lord Helmet obviously got a concussion when they used the "Emergency Stop"

"Smoke if you got'em"

TMartin
Studies in Women's Health led to this breakthrough.

Susan Sadoughi, MD
Deputy Editor

Physician's First Watch

About the Physician's First Watch Board
Dr. Sadoughi is trained and board-certified in internal medicine. Former Chief Medical Resident at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Dr. Sadoughi has been a staff clinician educator in the Division of General Medicine at that institution. Her academic career and administrative roles have focused on medical education. She is actively involved in training residents and medical students and has received a number of outstanding teacher awards. She is the Co-Chair of the Education Subcommittee of Harvard Medical School's Women's Health Center of Excellence.
Disclosures
Leadership Positions in Professional Societies
Harvard Medical School, Center of Excellence in Women's Health (Co-Chair of Education Committee)

Editorial Policies
SpecAg08
AG
Here's what it looks like.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Ct5i1X91spkrRV2c6

The study says it applies pressure to the jugular, which increases blood volume in the brain. Increased blood in the skull reduces brain movement during sub concussive blows.

*edit* This device has apparently been around for a few years. The news here is the FDA approval. It's also being tested on soldiers to mitigate blast concussions. Interesting.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
While I appreciate the effort, to me this appears to be the latest unsuccessful attempt to limit concussions.
VatoLocoAggie
Many predict due to the life long injuries of players and lawsuits of injuries against equipment vendors that football will fall in popularity within 20 years.

Parents are having their kids play soccer which is safer than football and the soccer culture along with girls softball are the two fastest rising youth sports in America.

Once the most talented athletes start choosing high school soccer (and club/travel) over football, we will see the gradual decline of American football interest.

Then we will be on par with the world where soccer is the national sport and professional teams draw the largest crowds and following.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
VatoLocoAggie said:

Many predict due to the life long injuries of players and lawsuits of injuries against equipment vendors that football will fall in popularity within 20 years.

Parents are having their kids play soccer which is safer than football and the soccer culture along with girls softball are the two fastest rising youth sports in America.

Once the most talented athletes start choosing high school soccer (and club/travel) over football, we will see the gradual decline of American football interest.

Then we will be on par with the world where soccer is the national sport and professional teams draw the largest crowds and following.

Count me out. I like soccer, but football is just a better game. There is only one or two types of build that can make it playing soccer. The great thing about football is that it doesn't matter your build, there is a place on the field for you to shine.
fightintxaggie10
AG
VatoLocoAggie said:

There are a bunch of soccer players with lifelong TBIs due to head butting the ball. Its definitely not a rare thing.
agnerd
AG
Quote:

The Q-collar works by applying compressive force to the internal jugular veins. This increases blood volume in the skull, which in turn helps restrict brain movement in the cranial space during head impacts.
So the device "chokes" athletes to keep more blood in the brain? Restricting blood flow seems like a really bad idea to me.
cavscout96
AG
hard pass
arontc09
AG
The ball is one thing, what's worse is each other when two go up for the ball at the same time.
Stupid@17
AG
agnerd said:

Quote:

The Q-collar works by applying compressive force to the internal jugular veins. This increases blood volume in the skull, which in turn helps restrict brain movement in the cranial space during head impacts.
So the device "chokes" athletes to keep more blood in the brain? Restricting blood flow seems like a really bad idea to me.

So....they made something very similar to this for sexual activity...that keeps blood in the specified region....
Trucker 96
My jugular being squeezed while I exert 100% of my energy in a high intensity activity sounds awesome.

Wait, isn't that how Michael Hutchence died?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
agnerd said:

Quote:

It is damping side forces .

I need to know the critical damping value here. Or is it just 2 zeta omega?
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I always wondered what the heck Luke Kuechly was wearing on his neck, now we know.

The last intelligent, coherent, meaningful, prudent thing Joe Pa ever said was if you were concerned about concussions and brain injury during the game to remove the facemasks.

American football is such an awesome sport, but it really should not be played by humans. Even the helmets when sold have a sticker that basically tells you NOT to play the sport....
agfootball
I work for a large medical device manufacturer. This is an AUTHORIZATION as opposed to APPROVAL-big difference in terms of claims around the product: Think of all the crap sold at GNC as apposed to actual prescription medication.

This study was a set up as a non inferiority study, the lowest possible bar for approval. Small sample size and marginal statistical difference. Study conducted over 1 season to evaluate the effect on Chronic Injury.

While I wish this were a big step forward, its likely not.

TexasLeaguer
AG
Heard the FDA just approved belts with flags, too!
sleepybeagle
AG

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.