Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A blast from the past.

8,694 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TyperWoods
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sterling82 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

It was the 2002 Tech game that cost RC his job.
Thinking back, yep, I agree with this, if I have the right game in mind. Is that the one where we punted directly to the Techster that burned our special teams a couple of times for either long returns or returns that ended in the EZ? And we had a kicker miss a couple of FGs/XPs? Or am I thinking of two different games?

That was it. Early in the year we struggled to put 20 on the board and our defense kept us close. Then Sumlin became OC and we could score but couldn't stop anyone. I don't remember the exact score against tech but both teams were in the 40s. It made it feel like we would never get everything together at once. At least that was how I felt. Embarrassed to admit after the game I said I wanted us to go after Fran.
Meh. Hindsight is 20/20. EVERYONE wanted Fran and it was considered a homerun hire at the time. I mean hell, the guy had shut out a Saban led LSU team at night in Baton Rouge.
We all thought he was the guy to take us to the promised land. Then 77-0 happened.
TarponChaser
jr15aggie said:

That 1st Reggie TD pass was the most impressive pass I've ever seen in person. That ball traveled over 30 yards and barely had an arc on it.

That OU CB was completely stunned how quickly the ball got there. It was unbelievable.

PS: Yes, Fran ruined that kid... hell, he ruined the program for a decade!

I've said that for years. That TD pass to T-Murph at the 1:50 mark of this video was one of the most impressive passes I've ever seen. I mean he just drilled that throw so hard that OU safety had no chance to get there and make a play after T-Murph got behind the CB in that zone coverage.

Anybody who every doubted Reggie's talent just needed to watch this game and that throw in particular.

Also, Bethel Johnson was low-key one of the most freak athletes we've ever had play for us. He was decent but ended up a 2nd round pick, won a Super Bowl ring with the Patriots, and had a respectable NFL career.

It's absolutely criminal for fran to have completely ruined two of the greatest Texas HS QBs in history- he completely screwed McNeal and then turned probably the best passing QB prospect ever, Stephen McGee into an option QB and ruined his shoulder.
SinKiller
SWC Ag said:

Sterling82 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Thinking back, yep, I agree with this, if I have the right game in mind. Is that the one where we punted directly to the Techster that burned our special teams a couple of times for either long returns or returns that ended in the EZ? And we had a kicker miss a couple of FGs/XPs? Or am I thinking of two different games?

That was it. Early in the year we struggled to put 20 on the board and our defense kept us close. Then Sumlin became OC and we could score but couldn't stop anyone. I don't remember the exact score against tech but both teams were in the 40s. It made it feel like we would never get everything together at once. At least that was how I felt. Embarrassed to admit after the game I said I wanted us to go after Fran.
Meh. Hindsight is 20/20. EVERYONE wanted Fran and it was considered a homerun hire at the time. I mean hell, the guy had shut out a Saban led LSU team at night in Baton Rouge.
We all thought he was the guy to take us to the promised land. Then 77-0 happened.
I'm not sure everyone thought it was a home-run hire, I know I didn't. Admittedly I think we did RC wrong, bad wrong and we sure as hell paid for it. Someone said above that 77-00 doesn't happen on RC's watch, no sh*t.

To Fran, the emperor never had any clothes and should have been vetted much more closely. Of course, the Aggie way is to go roughshod and think you're sending this huge message to CF, again.

To the thread, awesome, awesome game. I felt like we'd win that one. Maybe the last time we had that type of swarming defense, you know, what Aggie football had been built on.
TarponChaser
SinKiller said:

SWC Ag said:

Sterling82 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

I'm not sure everyone thought it was a home-run hire, I know I didn't. Admittedly I think we did RC wrong, bad wrong and we sure as hell paid for it. Someone said above that 77-00 doesn't happen on RC's watch, no sh*t.

To Fran, the emperor never had any clothes and should have been vetted much more closely. Of course, the Aggie way is to go roughshod and think you're sending this huge message to CF, again.

To the thread, awesome, awesome game. I felt like we'd win that one. Maybe the last time we had that type of swarming defense, you know, what Aggie football had been built on.

RC needed to go and I've known the man and his family since I was in kindergarten. We would have been perpetually 7-5 with him while Mack & Stoops were around. Hell, maybe even just 6-6 since Gundy was coming on and Saban hadn't gotten to Bama yet.

As for fran, he was a disaster and a garbage human being but we had to take a shot and virtually every single person related to college football thought it was a HoF-level hire.
SinKiller
TarponChaser said:

SinKiller said:

SWC Ag said:

Sterling82 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

RC needed to go and I've known the man and his family since I was in kindergarten. We would have been perpetually 7-5 with him while Mack & Stoops were around. Hell, maybe even just 6-6 since Gundy was coming on and Saban hadn't gotten to Bama yet.

As for fran, he was a disaster and a garbage human being but we had to take a shot and virtually every single person related to college football thought it was a HoF-level hire.
We got Fran because Bama was going on probation, otherwise he re-ups with them and Saban probably never happens. So, Fran screwed us twice in the end.

To RC, he should never have been fired the way he was, he should have been given a farewell season at the very least. That wouldn't be to save his job, but a victory lap with dignity. It was handled about as poorly as it could have been. I realize to most, RC won with Jackie's players for 10 years but the disdain for this man baffles me. Go follow RC on FB, see how his former players see him, and I'm talking from wayback as well. I'm not siggesting the man that I'm replying to has personal disdain for RC.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

RC won with Jackie's players for 10 years
So Jackie got recruits in middle school to actually start for A&M?

I've seen this take before. It holds water for the first 2-3 years but that's about it. RC was a damn good recruiter in his own right.
p-wonk01
AG
Reggie was probably the top raw talent (Run/Pass) QB to play for us. We all know Johnny was a stud, but Reggie could flat out throw that ball. He was mismanaged here. Hell if we had him last year it would be natty

I also remember the KSU game where he kept the ball on 3rd and sealed the game by blowing past everyone on the field, splitting the safeties like they were standing still. Remember this game and that play in person.
p-wonk01
AG

Texas Aggies in the endzone
p-wonk01
AG
Ddp
TxAg76
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Was expecting POTAYLOR

Rules....
SinKiller
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

RC won with Jackie's players for 10 years
So Jackie got recruits in middle school to actually start for A&M?

I've seen this take before. It holds water for the first 2-3 years but that's about it. RC was a damn good recruiter in his own right.
Not my thoughts at all...Anyway, RC recruited most of them himself anyway...Jackie was a real, real good delegator...
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

To RC, he should never have been fired the way he was, he should have been given a farewell season at the very least. That wouldn't be to save his job, but a victory lap with dignity.
Losing 50-20 to the ascendant Longhorns is gonna get you booted, especially after 5 previous losses during the season.

Recruiting was back-sliding. Hot new coaches from Stoops to Mack to Leach were all beating us on the field. We were finishing unranked year after year.

R.C. was given about a three year victory lap.

A big hire was needed. A big hire was made. Little Debbies ensued.

schmellba99
AG
SinKiller said:

TarponChaser said:

SinKiller said:

SWC Ag said:

Sterling82 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

To RC, he should never have been fired the way he was, he should have been given a farewell season at the very least. That wouldn't be to save his job, but a victory lap with dignity. It was handled about as poorly as it could have been. I realize to most, RC won with Jackie's players for 10 years but the disdain for this man baffles me. Go follow RC on FB, see how his former players see him, and I'm talking from wayback as well. I'm not siggesting the man that I'm replying to has personal disdain for RC.

A farewell season? Yeah....no. Just no. That's not how it works.

We were already being lapped by tu and OU at that time, and we would have further hamstrung ourselves by giving a lame duck coach a victory lap season for him to mail it in (or in TAMU fashion, do just good enough to get an extension on a new contract) for a payday. That's not how college football works, it has never worked that way.

Slocum didn't win with Jackie's players for 10 years - Slocum had good success in recruiting himself long after Jackie's players graduated and moved on. He still brought in good defensive players, but that was also the time frame where the game was changing significantly and high schools were putting every stud athlete on the offensive side of the ball. Slocum's offenses were never up to speed with the new game, and the few times he did have a coordinator that was opening things up, they either left for greener pastures or were held back by antiquated mentality.

I don't think anybody has a disdain for RC on this board, or if they do, they are definitely in the minority. He was a good coach for us and did some great things in his heyday at TAMU. But heydays pass, and his best years were long behind him when he was let go. Most argue that we, in typical A&M fashion, held on a few years too long. That's not disdain or hate for the guy, that's just reality.
aggiesurfer85
AG
Thanks for sharing. Brings back great memories. Was fortunate to be at the game and have great seats on first deck 30 yard line. Vividly remember Reggie coming in and immediately throwing that frozen rope for a touchdown. What a great game! Crazy atmosphere. Certainly one of the best I have attended.
TyperWoods
TarponChaser said:

SinKiller said:

SWC Ag said:

Sterling82 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

7-5 would have been an improvement over Fran

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.