Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A blast from the past.

8,692 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TyperWoods
BTHOB-98
How long do you want to ignore this user?

1. Darude Sandstorm
2. Reggies nod to Porter
3. Defense was bringing the wood
4. TMurph is a flat out stud!
5. RIP TK!
Rudyjax
AG
Couple of thoughts from that game:

1. Best game I've ever been to
2. We were sitting in the zone behind the goal posts and were screaming for him to throw to Porter. We thought he threw it out the back. Great catch by Porter.
3. That Bethel TD....not sure in the days of replay that's a TD. He caught that and spiked it so fast.
4. They were coming back and had all the momentum, but that Kiel int did it.

Great game. I thought it saved RC's job.

Reggie and his skinny ankles cost RC his job though.
BTHOB-98
Look guys... said:

3. That Bethel TD....not sure in the days of replay that's a TD. He caught that and spiked it so fast.

I was totally thinking the same thing rewatching it.
Rudyjax
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

Look guys... said:

I was totally thinking the same thing rewatching it.
I've thought that for 19 years.
Unemployed
AG
Had ticket to the game but decided to get drunk at home instead of watching us getting blown out by OU.

I've regretted that decision ever since.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
TK flipping the ball Bobby Stoops was great. I had waited on him and I think Mike the day before when the team was staying at Del Lago
Divining Rod
Wow! Nov 9, 2002. Exactly 10 years later- Nov 10, 2012 we take down #1 Bama.

Who we got on the schedule that weekend in 2022?
AggieZUUL
AG

Tom Brady had already won his 1st Super Bowl that year. Crazy.
BTHOB-98
Divining Rod said:

Wow! Nov 9, 2002. Exactly 10 years later- Nov 10, 2012 we take down #1 Bama.

Who we got on the schedule that weekend in 2022?

Bama? Lol
98WFSCAG
AG
I like what I'm hearing.
jr15aggie
AG
That 1st Reggie TD pass was the most impressive pass I've ever seen in person. That ball traveled over 30 yards and barely had an arc on it.

That OU CB was completely stunned how quickly the ball got there. It was unbelievable.

PS: Yes, Fran ruined that kid... hell, he ruined the program for a decade!
BTHOB-98
jr15aggie said:

That 1st Reggie TD pass was the most impressive pass I've ever seen in person. That ball traveled over 30 yards and barely had an arc on it.

That OU CB was completely stunned how quickly the ball got there. It was unbelievable.

Can you imagine Reggie in Jimbos offense? Hell I would have taken Sumlins offense. Fran just couldn't adapt. I think back to that Urban Mayer offense at and just wonder what Reggie could have been with a pass offense that spread the field and allowed him to run. It could have been epic.
jsdaltxag
Anybody have the photo of Portors TD catch where you can see he barely caught it, and the fingernail scratches on the ball.
Mayor West
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

jr15aggie said:

Can you imagine Reggie in Jimbos offense? Hell I would have taken Sumlins offense. Fran just couldn't adapt. I think back to that Urban Mayer offense at and just wonder what Reggie could have been with a pass offense that spread the field and allowed him to run. It could have been epic.

Or Mcgee? He'd be great with Jimbo too
MarathonAg12
Was expecting POTAYLOR
TAMU74
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Great game. I thought it saved RC's job.
I remember thinking the same thing ... and then, if I recall, the Ags lost the next weekend at home to Mizzou, followed by another loss to tu.

Was sad to see RC go. Especially to be replaced by Fran, who for me at least, made mistakes right from the get-go that I anticipated would doom his sorry ass. Changing the base defense when we didn't have the personnel to run his choice of defense was a bad idea. With RC, I feel certain that 0-77 does not happen. Very likely still would have lost that game, sure, but not to the tune of having comments made about Stoops calling off the dogs at the beginning of the 4th quarter to prevent a 0-100+ massacre.
tk for tu juan
BTHOB-98 said:

Can you imagine Reggie in Jimbos offense? Hell I would have taken Sumlins offense.

That was Sumlin's offense.
Sterling82
jr15aggie said:

I agree, that was a dart. There was another similar against Clemson in 04 where Reggie rolled left pivoted back away from the los and then threw across the field from the opposite hash for about 15 yards. Again on a line, and he really didn't even have his feet set. Reggie wasn't lacking arm talent for sure.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
What I remember most about this game was the hope it brought and the ultimate fools gold it turned out to be.
cj774
AG
tk for tu juan said:

BTHOB-98 said:

Can you imagine Reggie in Jimbos offense? Hell I would have taken Sumlins offense.

That was Sumlin's offense.

Good point. I had forgotten about RC demoting Babers and promoting Sumlin to calling plays during the season.
tk for tu juan
That route by TMurph on the 1st TD was used again for a TD in one of the Arkansas games. The 2014 game, Kenny Hill to Josh Reynolds to tie the game and send it to OT

At 8:15
94chem
Kiel RIP
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Russ Dalrymple
AG
tk for tu juan said:

That route by TMurph on the 1st TD was used again for a TD in one of the Arkansas games. The 2014 game, Kenny Hill to Josh Reynolds to tie the game and send it to OT

At 8:15

Hole shot fade vs Cover 2...not something exclusive to Sumlin
Hill Country Ag
AG
I had a business trip to Tokyo flying the day after the game. I remember when I got up from sleeping first night I opened the hotel door room and there was a newspaper at the door. I picked up and opened it to put in my briefcase and front page had Texas Aggies in big upset win. I remember feeling like I was living in an alternate universe. I used it in the a meeting that morning to break the ice with a large customer group. One of the younger meeting attendees said he play middle linebacker at his school in Japan. I thought for sure he meant soccer, but no, he meant American football. I had no idea until then that American football played in Japan.
Gig 'Em
SilverTongueDevil
I still wonder how you go from that to losing 77-0 1 year later. They should have fired franchione at the airport and saved us so much misery.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
Bryant03
AG
I was YELLING to talk to the girl I came with during this game and couldn't hear my own voice. It. Was. Awesome!!!!
cevans_40
AG
RealTalk said:

Had ticket to the game but decided to get drunk at home instead of watching us getting blown out by OU.

I've regretted that decision ever since.

So you have been a 2%er for decades?
Aggie
AG
RC's last victory
Jim Benson 63
AG
It was the 2002 Tech game that cost RC his job. And then, the week after we beat OU, we lost to Missouri.

I agree with all the comments about how Fran ruined Reggie McNeal
"You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing."

"Wars don't determine who is right, they only determine who is left."
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

It was the 2002 Tech game that cost RC his job.
Thinking back, yep, I agree with this, if I have the right game in mind. Is that the one where we punted directly to the Techster that burned our special teams a couple of times for either long returns or returns that ended in the EZ? And we had a kicker miss a couple of FGs/XPs? Or am I thinking of two different games?
Sterling82
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Thinking back, yep, I agree with this, if I have the right game in mind. Is that the one where we punted directly to the Techster that burned our special teams a couple of times for either long returns or returns that ended in the EZ? And we had a kicker miss a couple of FGs/XPs? Or am I thinking of two different games?

That was it. Early in the year we struggled to put 20 on the board and our defense kept us close. Then Sumlin became OC and we could score but couldn't stop anyone. I don't remember the exact score against tech but both teams were in the 40s. It made it feel like we would never get everything together at once. At least that was how I felt. Embarrassed to admit after the game I said I wanted us to go after Fran.
Bonfired
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

No, unfortunately, you have the correct game.

We kept punting to Wes Welker, with predictably bad results.

Missed PAT after our late 4th quarter TD left the score at 41-38, and Tech tied it with a FG to send the game to OT.

Missed PAT in OT left the door open for them to win with a TD and extra point, which they did.

As for the OU game in 2002, I enjoyed it for the moment it was...my work buddy who was a big Ohio State fan was VERY happy with us that day.

...and agree with everyone above about Bethel's TD. Dropped that ball awfully quick.
Hey Nav
AG
Agree with you for the most part.

But then we got clobbered by tu 20-50 2 weeks later (albeit a week where one of our players passed away suddenly).
Rudyjax
AG
Jim Benson 63 said:

It was the 2002 Tech game that cost RC his job. And then, the week after we beat OU, we lost to Missouri.

I agree with all the comments about how Fran ruined Reggie McNeal

If Reggie doesn't sprain his ankle we probably beat Mizzou.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.