Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The saga continues over the "Eyes of Texas"

12,281 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Change Detection
yell_on_6th st
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rootube said:

Sterling82 said:

Tobias Funke said:

How embarrassing that these men need their egos stroked so badly (and probably have some deep-rooted issues making them want to live vicariously through college players) that they would say "you need to come sing a song with us after the game to thank us for being here".

It happens here too. Embarrassing.

Agreed. It's embarrassing that they need to be told. I don't think these traditions were a secret when they signed to play there.

This is probably a terrible mistake but I am curious about your position on mask wearing. It feels like the same folks who are outraged by the players not doing what they are told are the same ones screaming that they refuse to do what they are told when someone tells them to wear a mask.

Are liberals this daft? The people yapping about masks have no authority or connection to me. The players signed up to ride for the brand, they better know what that means.
Txhuntr
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Trying too hard to do what?

Explain to me how I'm interpreting this incorrectly, if in fact donors said they would pull their donations if the team didn't stay on the field and come sing The Eyes of Texas with them?

I wouldn't donate money to the benefit of kids that don't embrace the Aggie spirit. Nothing to do with ego stroking. If the football team stopped sawing 'Em off after games, I would feel zero connection to them because that's an important Aggie tradition. Why prop them up with my money?
aggiebacker81
AG
The problem that I have with the cancel culture mindset is they equate their "right to say or do something" in this case not assemble for the school song or in our case have Sully statue removed as being able to do whatever they want and have no consequences.

Many in this younger and more liberal generation have this mentality as a whole. They do have the right to not respect their school song just like the coach has a right to not allow them to be on the field representing the school they chose to disrespect. This is the part these people cannot come to grips with.

I have the right to say disrespectful things on social media or wherever about the company that I work for. They in kind, have the right to terminate my employment in the state of Texas without cause.

Just because we have the right to speak our mind, it does not mean that there are not consequences for these actions. This is a principle of life that seems to totally escape this group of people.
ccatag
AG
Doesn't tu also have a problem with their band refusing to play the eyes? Has that been worked out?
West Point Aggie
AG
Otherkin said:

Some of y'all may hate on me, but when I got enough money to donate to A&M I chose not to:

Simply because A&M now is not the A&M I went to years ago...and it just continues to get worse.

Hey it's YOUR $$$ so good for you!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
SinKiller said:

Otherkin said:

Some of y'all may hate on me, but when I got enough money to donate to A&M I chose not to:

Simply because A&M now is not the A&M I went to years ago...and it just continues to get worse.

A&M is closer to being UT than it is to being A&M.

We aren't anything like Tennessee dammit
aggiejim70
AG
Otherkin said:

You know, this must be true, as it's been said by virtually every graduate of Texas A&M about 7 to ten years after they graduated. In fact, and I know it's hard to believe, former students were saying that about Texas A&M during those wonderful 4 or 5 years you were there as an undergraduate and everything was perfect.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Macarthur
Txhuntr said:

Tobias Funke said:

Explain to me how I'm interpreting this incorrectly, if in fact donors said they would pull their donations if the team didn't stay on the field and come sing The Eyes of Texas with them?

I wouldn't donate money to the benefit of kids that don't embrace the Aggie spirit. Nothing to do with ego stroking. If the football team stopped sawing 'Em off after games, I would feel zero connection to them because that's an important Aggie tradition. Why prop them up with my money?

But I don't think you can make this analogy. Sawing em off isn't rooted in racists origins.

You can have plenty of school spirit but not be in favor of that song. Just like A&M students can be uncomfortable with a Sully statue yet still have school pride or spirit.

You seem to be making a point that you have to embrace 100% of the schools history or you're a bad student/alum? Correct me if I'm reading that wrong.
SinKiller
Shai-Hulud said:

SinKiller said:

Otherkin said:

A&M is closer to being UT than it is to being A&M.

We aren't anything like Tennessee dammit
Walk around campus and ask what tu means, you'll be surprised.
Showstopper
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Otherkin said:

You know, this must be true, as it's been said by virtually every graduate of Texas A&M about 7 to ten years after they graduated. In fact, and I know it's hard to believe, former students were saying that about Texas A&M during those wonderful 4 or 5 years you were there as an undergraduate and everything was perfect.
it's true. Old Army has been going to hell since about 1880.
Titan83
AG
Otherkin said:

Are you referring to the admission of coeds part, the no bonfire on campus part, or moving to the SEC part?
Showstopper
AG
To the extent any conference change deserves cutting off donations, it's would definitely be joining the Big 12. We shed our crappy have-not SWC hanger ons but not the Big 8? Yea... we get to travel a long way for Iowa State...

Granted, we took hanger on Missouri with us to the SEC so "You're welcome, Big 12"
Otherkin
Titan83 said:

Otherkin said:

Are you referring to the admission of coeds part, the no bonfire on campus part, or moving to the SEC part?
Moving to the SEC was a good fit. We have more of an SEC culture than we do a loser dumpster fire culture. I think that the SEC and all that came with it enhanced A&M.

I think where and when we began digging our grave was when we decided to rapidly increase the school's population size for no real reason other than the green stuff. To reach those numbers we had to let in lots of kids who didn't fit the A&M mold ie SJWs and greek life bros. Neither of those types of students typically prioritizes academics, tradition, the Aggie Honor Code, etc. and there's been a disconnect ever since.

Southlake
When's the last time you heard the Aggieband play Dixie?

They used to play Dixie then shift into the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Not anymore.

That's about when my donations stopped.
Tobias Funke
AG
Southlake said:

When's the last time you heard the Aggieband play Dixie?

They used to play Dixie then shift into the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Not anymore.

That's about when my donations stopped.

What a child
buppy

SEC Champs
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

I'd be careful not to make too much fun of them. This same saga is coming to a statue near us.
Disagree. Because we are NOT t.u. our coaches can demand more. Their "prestige" renders them D.O.A.
Sterling82
rootube said:

Sterling82 said:

rootube said:

Sterling82 said:

Tobias Funke said:

How embarrassing that these men need their egos stroked so badly (and probably have some deep-rooted issues making them want to live vicariously through college players) that they would say "you need to come sing a song with us after the game to thank us for being here".

It happens here too. Embarrassing.

Agreed. It's embarrassing that they need to be told. I don't think these traditions were a secret when they signed to play there.

This is probably a terrible mistake but I am curious about your position on mask wearing. It feels like the same folks who are outraged by the players not doing what they are told are the same ones screaming that they refuse to do what they are told when someone tells them to wear a mask.

Read it again...I said they shouldn't have to be told. If they were so offended by tu traditions they should have gone somewhere else. Or just skipped college altogether for all I care.

But they are being told and they and they are exercising their right to say no thanks. I don't see how you are missing the similarities here. This is America, you cant make someone sing a song if they don't want to. I exercise this right every time I find myself in a karaoke bar.

If I asked them out for a very fine, expensive meal they shouldn't have to be told to say thank you. Nor should they take their last bite, get up and walk out without saying a word. If they do and I don't offer them another opportunity it doesn't make me a bad person.
Tobias Funke
AG
Absurd analogy
Horn Saw
AG
Tobias Funke said:

I think they like the schools traditions, and if they are going to do away with them, than they would rather use their money for other things. What's wrong with that?
RAB83
AG
Otherkin said:

No, A&M is not the school I attended. It's better. Frankly, I doubt I could get admitted today. I serve on my department's external advisory board (some old Ag engineering professors are rolling around in their graves over this).

The students I've met the last few years are awesome kids and head and shoulders above me and my peers. I've endowed a scholarship and given over and above that. When my guy from the Association of Former Students called on my a year or so ago, I let him know that my money would drop in proportion to the drop in Sully's statue if a certain SJW QB had his way. I was told that I wasn't the first person with that message and was asked for permission to quote me.

If you don't give money, you don't have influence. That may not be the way it should be, but that is the way it is.
Divining Rod
aggiebacker81 said:

The problem that I have with the cancel culture mindset is they equate their "right to say or do something" in this case not assemble for the school song or in our case have Sully statue removed as being able to do whatever they want and have no consequences.

Many in this younger and more liberal generation have this mentality as a whole. They do have the right to not respect their school song just like the coach has a right to not allow them to be on the field representing the school they chose to disrespect. This is the part these people cannot come to grips with.

I have the right to say disrespectful things on social media or wherever about the company that I work for. They in kind, have the right to terminate my employment in the state of Texas without cause.

Just because we have the right to speak our mind, it does not mean that there are not consequences for these actions. This is a principle of life that seems to totally escape this group of people.

Yeah, the Dixie Chicks never quite got that.
Yes, you have every right to trash our president and country overseas during a time of war, but please dont cry when your families in the heartland stop buying your music.

I remember those pathetic &$@ches whining how they were being unfairly punished for exercising their rights!
Txhuntr
AG
Macarthur said:

Txhuntr said:

Tobias Funke said:

But I don't think you can make this analogy. Sawing em off isn't rooted in racists origins.

You can have plenty of school spirit but not be in favor of that song. Just like A&M students can be uncomfortable with a Sully statue yet still have school pride or spirit.

You seem to be making a point that you have to embrace 100% of the schools history or you're a bad student/alum? Correct me if I'm reading that wrong.

Pretty much. A&M was a great, unique place for this first generation ag. I want to donate to kids that respect and participate in the many traditions to keep this place unique. If I went to tu , I would want the students to sing the damn school song too. Just because something may have been used or created by racist people over 100 years ago, doesn't make it a symbol of racism in 2021.
Azariah
AG
Quote:

"The Eyes of Texas" singalong with fans.
This is technically the truth, but holy crap is that belittling.

Quote:

During the meeting, the officials allegedly relayed threats from angry donors that the players could face difficult employment prospects if they continued to protest the song, which has racist roots as part of a minstrel show.
Isn't it one of the core tenets of cancel culture that you absolutely have freedom of speech, but you don't have freedom from the repercussions of that speech? That **** runs both ways.

Quote:

The unnamed player reportedly told the Tribune that former head coach Tom Herman and athletic director Chris Del Conte were the officials relaying the donor threats.
This is ****ing fire-worthy right here. You're the grown men of the program and you're not shielding your boys from the outside world? You're just relaying threats from outside people?
Artimus Gordon
Looks like they are roiling in their own little cesspool. It's Like we needed another reason to disassociate ourselves from them. Just make sure what happens in austin/tu stays in austin!
Seamaster
AG
Don't want to stand for the schools traditions? Don't play football at said school.

Nobody is "forced."
Cassius
Macarthur said:

Seamaster said:

They were also "forced" to wear helmets when they played football and "forced" to practice and "forced" to lift weights and "forced" to be on the sidelines for the entire game when they weren't on the field. They also weren't allowed to use TicTok during plays on the field! Such martyrs!

Man. t.u. Must be run by literal Nazis.
Silly analogy...

No, its spot on.
Sterling82
Macarthur said:

Txhuntr said:

Tobias Funke said:

What's incorrect here is that the eyes of Texas is racist. The frigging tune comes from a minstrel show but the eyes has nothing to do with racism. Unfortunately, in the current climate people feel entitled to make crap up then fall on the floor kicking and screaming about something that doesn't even exist. And as evidenced here, we have "adults" perfectly willing to jump in and support this self serving conduct for fear they won't be considered woke enough.
Agsncws
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

It's a sad story, and yes, it is probably coming our way, too.

It's sad because the donors and alums love their school, and desperately want the players to love it as well. They want to all come together and celebrate their common bonds that are created by a shared experience.

Unfortunately, they have money, and think they have power, and when some of these athletes are objecting to something they feel that all students should hold dear, they use their power and money to try to force these students into the behavior they want, mistakenly thinking it will keep the community bonded through the experience of the shared tradition.

And of course, it has the opposite effect. The players see it as a bunch of old white guys with money forcing them to do something they don't want to do, which technically, is exactly what is happening, but the motivation is not to control the players, it is to hold on to tradition.

And to be honest, considering the power of our traditions compared to those in Austin, not only are these continued struggles likely coming our way, they are probably loaded with more potential strife than they what they are experiencing in Austin.

We all want the football players to love our traditions and be a part of them, but we just have to accept that some of the won't, and some of them will. If we try to force them, it will definitely not work.
Way too honest and logical for the internet in 2021. This is the beginning and end of the entire saga. Anyone else who posted after this just wants to see their own words. I stopped reading right here.
AGDAD14
Poor college kids learning a lesson the hard way... in the adult world there are people with power, more some than others. In fact, all college students are invited/accepted into the college they attend by those in power.

Also, you don't try to change evil from within... you flee/depart/cut-off from that which is evil. So if tu does evil things, get the hell out of Austin!
Texas A&M
It is no coincidence that Jemele Hill and Jerome Solomon (from the HC) post stories on this topic this weekend.
30wedge
Texas A&M said:

It is no coincidence that Jemele Hill and Jerome Solomon (from the HC) post stories on this topic this weekend.
Two of the biggest race pimps on the planet
Jim Benson 63
AG
These players have several Solutions.

1. Quit football

2. Go to another school

3. Suicide

Pick one
"You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing."

"Wars don't determine who is right, they only determine who is left."
jamieboy2014
AG
Sterling82 said:

Macarthur said:

Txhuntr said:

Tobias Funke said:

What's incorrect here is that the eyes of Texas is racist. The frigging tune comes from a minstrel show but the eyes has nothing to do with racism. Unfortunately, in the current climate people feel entitled to make crap up then fall on the floor kicking and screaming about something that doesn't even exist. And as evidenced here, we have "adults" perfectly willing to jump in and support this self serving conduct for fear they won't be considered woke enough.
What I don't understand is why some of you on here are worried about this... We should all be pointing and laughing at the clown show going on over there right now. Anything that they do to shoot themselves in the foot in terms of providing a recruiting advantage for us, in my eyes (no pun intended), is a good thing.
If your username is jickyjack1, Shooter McGavin, proudaggie02, txrancher69, or Rick Deckard... don't bother responding. You won't offer anything insightful.
levypantsEOY
Interesting write up in Texas Monthly about this issue.
Foot notes- you'd have to try REALLLLLY hard to find something to argue that the song is racist.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/university-texas-report-will-find-that-its-alma-mater-the-eyes-of-texas-no-racist-intent/
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.