Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The saga continues over the "Eyes of Texas"

12,286 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Change Detection
Vinny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://news.yahoo.com/texas-players-eyes-of-texas-donor-threats-chris-del-conte-011652317.html
Seamaster
AG
They were also "forced" to wear helmets when they played football and "forced" to practice and "forced" to lift weights and "forced" to be on the sidelines for the entire game when they weren't on the field. They also weren't allowed to use TicTok during plays on the field! Such martyrs!

Man. t.u. Must be run by literal Nazis.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Lol
Kozmozag
It isn't going away. We will have pop back up as well as covid dies down.
highlonesomeaggie
AG
They were also forced to measure pee color to charts
Tobias Funke
AG
How embarrassing that these men need their egos stroked so badly (and probably have some deep-rooted issues making them want to live vicariously through college players) that they would say "you need to come sing a song with us after the game to thank us for being here".

It happens here too. Embarrassing.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I'd be careful not to make too much fun of them. This same saga is coming to a statue near us.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Tobias Funke said:

How embarrassing that these men need their egos stroked so badly (and probably have some deep-rooted issues making them want to live vicariously through college players) that they would say "you need to come sing a song with us after the game to thank us for being here".

You're trying too hard, swing and a miss.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Tobias Funke said:

I think you just blue yourself again, Tobias.
Dominion Caracas Branch
The Chicken Ranch said:

I'd be careful not to make too much fun of them. This same saga is coming to a statue near us.
How so? We are expected to be intolerant conservatives. We have a statue that is not moving but at the same time, it isn't like anyone is expected to go pay reverence to Sully.

tu wants to be woke and benefit from that perception while portraying us as hicks. However, money tends to be conservative and tradition bound and their money is not that different from ours in the end.

The problem is they want to push kumbaya to people while their donors are saying you people better stand for the song or else.

I do expect the media to try to deflect for their burnt orange monster but in the end saying you're not moving a statue is different from saying you better stand for this song or suffer consequences.

Honestly the more you try to make people do something the more likely it backfires. Ignore their little protests and they go away, fight them and they live on.
ghowe
AG
Someone please make it all stop!!
SinKiller
yell_on_6th st said:

Tobias Funke said:

You're trying too hard, swing and a miss.
Way, way too hard...
Tobias Funke
AG
Trying too hard to do what?

Explain to me how I'm interpreting this incorrectly, if in fact donors said they would pull their donations if the team didn't stay on the field and come sing The Eyes of Texas with them?
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
It's a sad story, and yes, it is probably coming our way, too.

It's sad because the donors and alums love their school, and desperately want the players to love it as well. They want to all come together and celebrate their common bonds that are created by a shared experience.

Unfortunately, they have money, and think they have power, and when some of these athletes are objecting to something they feel that all students should hold dear, they use their power and money to try to force these students into the behavior they want, mistakenly thinking it will keep the community bonded through the experience of the shared tradition.

And of course, it has the opposite effect. The players see it as a bunch of old white guys with money forcing them to do something they don't want to do, which technically, is exactly what is happening, but the motivation is not to control the players, it is to hold on to tradition.

And to be honest, considering the power of our traditions compared to those in Austin, not only are these continued struggles likely coming our way, they are probably loaded with more potential strife than they what they are experiencing in Austin.

We all want the football players to love our traditions and be a part of them, but we just have to accept that some of the won't, and some of them will. If we try to force them, it will definitely not work.
DamnGood86
AG
How is stopping future donations force?

If you disrespect something that I respect, I will not support you. With that knowledge, you may choose to show the respect I desire or you may choose to do without my support.
You may not be a moron, but some people think you are.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

I think its time the state looks at shutting down this den of vipers.
Bird Poo
AG
This version of woke BS is the direct result of COVID boredom and frustration, IMO. People had so much time on their hands, including our FB players, they sat around listing to and reading CRT bullshlt. Didn't matter where the info was coming from, or how accurate. As long as it somewhat affirmed their outlook on white devil institutions, then it was time to protest. Young, immature, students and athletes will one day realize their naivete.

A&M FINALLY came down on the Marxist professors instigating nearly all of it. Notice how quite things have been lately? They prefer their paychecks and the stature of a "professor" than a ruined career. An aspiring journalist could do a good job covering how our own fiasco went down. From the professors instigating it, the documented fake race crimes, the resignation of a president, and the actual historical truth of Sully's actions to educate black Texans.
Bird Poo
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

And to be honest, considering the power of our traditions compared to those in Austin, not only are these continued struggles likely coming our way, they are probably loaded with more potential strife than they what they are experiencing in Austin.
From my post above, I think it's a result of boredom and enabling University leadership. Both are changing and we're not hearing from these idiots as much.
jamieboy2014
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

It's a sad story, and yes, it is probably coming our way, too.

It's sad because the donors and alums love their school, and desperately want the players to love it as well. They want to all come together and celebrate their common bonds that are created by a shared experience.

Unfortunately, they have money, and think they have power, and when some of these athletes are objecting to something they feel that all students should hold dear, they use their power and money to try to force these students into the behavior they want, mistakenly thinking it will keep the community bonded through the experience of the shared tradition.

And of course, it has the opposite effect. The players see it as a bunch of old white guys with money forcing them to do something they don't want to do, which technically, is exactly what is happening, but the motivation is not to control the players, it is to hold on to tradition.

We all want the football players to love our traditions and be a part of them, but we just have to accept that some of the won't, and some of them will. If we try to force them, it will definitely not work.
What a ridiculous assumption. There have ALWAYS been players at A&M that didn't "get it" in the same way as had some of the other players or fans. The rich Ags have complained from time to time about this, but for the most part (even during the Sully Statue crisis) they have remained dedicated to their financial support because they love football. The sips have always had a culture disparity problem because most of their players and alumni are liberal elitists and most of their "big money" donors and t-shirt fans are Trump supporter types. It has become more pronounced in recent years as both sides have grown further apart and is coming to a head now. It's glorious to watch. Don't ruin it for the rest of us Mr. Pessimist.
If your username is jickyjack1, Shooter McGavin, proudaggie02, txrancher69, or Rick Deckard... don't bother responding. You won't offer anything insightful.
Noble07
AG
Quote:

The sips have always had a culture disparity problem because most of their players and alumni are liberal elitists and most of their "big money" donors and t-shirt fans are Trump supporter types.
Yep! People that value patriotism, love of country, the military, etc don't feel the camaraderie and shared identity of their alma mater. The woke crowd will show up to protest this but won't follow through in ticket sales or donations. I think the sip leadership is smart enough to understand that. I do not think they have the fortitude to just plow on through this. Their song is done.
Otherkin
Some of y'all may hate on me, but when I got enough money to donate to A&M I chose not to:

Simply because A&M now is not the A&M I went to years ago...and it just continues to get worse.

SinKiller
Otherkin said:

Some of y'all may hate on me, but when I got enough money to donate to A&M I chose not to:

Simply because A&M now is not the A&M I went to years ago...and it just continues to get worse.

A&M is closer to being UT than it is to being A&M.
ghowe
AG
Otherkin said:

I don't, there is truth in that. Holding the times being what they are aside, the size of the enrollment is, I think, the largest contributor of negative change. We've been on this path for quite some time.
Stinky T
AG
Otherkin said:

Nothing at all wrong with that. A&M doesn't need my money and there are much better places for me to donate.
W
AG
Quote:

What a ridiculous assumption. There have ALWAYS been players at A&M that didn't "get it" in the same way as had some of the other players or fans. The rich Ags have complained from time to time about this, but for the most part (even during the Sully Statue crisis) they have remained dedicated to their financial support because they love football. The sips have always had a culture disparity problem because most of their players and alumni are liberal elitists and most of their "big money" donors and t-shirt fans are Trump supporter types. It has become more pronounced in recent years as both sides have grown further apart and is coming to a head now. It's glorious to watch. Don't ruin it for the rest of us Mr. Pessimist.
this is true.

the difference of course now is social media. The players can voice their displeasure worldwide if they choose.

the smart ones generally don't do that, because they understand the old adage about: biting the hand that feeds you

or the one about burning bridges
VatoLocoAggie
So glad we aren't like tu.
They are an embarrassment to our great state.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
Snap E Tom
They let you back here?
levypantsEOY
Vato- Be better.
Sterling82
Tobias Funke said:

Agreed. It's embarrassing that they need to be told. I don't think these traditions were a secret when they signed to play there.
Macarthur
Seamaster said:

They were also "forced" to wear helmets when they played football and "forced" to practice and "forced" to lift weights and "forced" to be on the sidelines for the entire game when they weren't on the field. They also weren't allowed to use TicTok during plays on the field! Such martyrs!

Silly analogy...
rootube
AG
Sterling82 said:

Tobias Funke said:

Agreed. It's embarrassing that they need to be told. I don't think these traditions were a secret when they signed to play there.

This is probably a terrible mistake but I am curious about your position on mask wearing. It feels like the same folks who are outraged by the players not doing what they are told are the same ones screaming that they refuse to do what they are told when someone tells them to wear a mask.
greg.w.h
AG
Texas is a very good school that spent a lot of time trying to clean up their historical choices and repent from that history.

Cancel culture forgives no one.
Sterling82
rootube said:

Sterling82 said:

Tobias Funke said:

This is probably a terrible mistake but I am curious about your position on mask wearing. It feels like the same folks who are outraged by the players not doing what they are told are the same ones screaming that they refuse to do what they are told when someone tells them to wear a mask.

Read it again...I said they shouldn't have to be told. If they were so offended by tu traditions they should have gone somewhere else. Or just skipped college altogether for all I care.
AgDotCom
Quote:

It was really eye-opening," Overshown said. "These are some high-power people that come to see you play and they can keep you from getting a job in the state of Texas. It was shocking that they said that. To this day I still think back to the moment. They really used that as a threat to get us to try to do what they wanted us to do.
I guess this is what happens when cancel culture works both ways?
rootube
AG
Sterling82 said:

rootube said:

Sterling82 said:

Tobias Funke said:

Read it again...I said they shouldn't have to be told. If they were so offended by tu traditions they should have gone somewhere else. Or just skipped college altogether for all I care.

But they are being told and they and they are exercising their right to say no thanks. I don't see how you are missing the similarities here. This is America, you cant make someone sing a song if they don't want to. I exercise this right every time I find myself in a karaoke bar.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.