Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Arik Gilbert???

7,471 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AWP 97
Ag in Tiger Country
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So he just announced that he is decommiting from Florida; rumblings from a few LSU fans seem to think A&M is now in the picture. Can anyone confirm; thoughts?
farwellrob
AG
There are also rumblings that his grades aren't high enough to get into Florida.

He might not be a great target for us.
Agsuffering@bulaw
High risk/ high reward

12thmanfootball
AG
"2.0 and go".........

..........or you didn't drink enuff Natty Lite while in college.
500,000ags
AG
Per the tweet on tiger droppings, I will give him some credit. He said he will not be announcing a decision until he is enrolled and on campus. Doesn't seem like he wants more of a circus.
Heisenberg01
AG
farwellrob said:

There are also rumblings that his grades aren't high enough to get into Florida.

Well Texags tells me A&M is a diploma mill, so we might as well get something out of it.
Shoefly!
AG
If its grades blow u is in the mix.
Madman
AG
Do we still offer a degree in AC repair?
Unemployed
AG
farwellrob said:

Florida is a better academic school than us.

We're a diploma mill.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Thanks Rick Perry.
Ugly
AG
I assume that every coach with a half-functioning brain is in the picture right now. Sounds like Arik's got a while before he even tries to make up his mind.
Space-Tech
RealTalk said:

farwellrob said:

We're a diploma mill.
Or Texas A&M is a public university with the mandate to educate as many Texans possible. Exclusivity is not part of the equation.

You want exclusivity, go to Rice.
PERSON - WOMAN - MAN - CAMERA - TV
Charlie Murphy
Space-Tech said:

RealTalk said:

farwellrob said:

We're a diploma mill.
Or Texas A&M is a public university with the mandate to educate as many Texans possible. Exclusivity is not part of the equation.

"Educate" is a tricky word isnt it?
Saint Pablo
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

High risk/ high reward

Worth the risk. He was the highest rated TE ever.
Tamu_mgm
AG
This screams red flag. Stay away, despite his obvious talent. Big time diva here, would hurt the locker room.
Unemployed
AG
Space-Tech said:

RealTalk said:

farwellrob said:

We're a diploma mill.

I agree with you.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I thought he left LSU because he was homesick. Then, he commits to Florida which is closer to his home in Georgia but still not that close. And now, he is back on the market again.
I figured when he left LSU that he was heading to Georgia.
Only time will tell.
Bill Superman
AG
RealTalk said:

farwellrob said:

We're a diploma mill.

This is one of the more ridiculous sentiments around here. It's the same folks that clamor for the days of yore when we were in sip's shadow.

We are now a bigger and better university than them. Time to embrace it and move on.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Luicci seemed to shoot down any chance of Gilbert being an A&M target. Also said this tecruitment how now officially entered 'Zach Evans Weird' territory.
rootube
AG
Can Gilbert play linebacker? I like our current TE's.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Worth the risk. He was the highest rated TE ever.

I dont think its so clear.

1. He would sit for a year w/ any SEC program
2. He is probably gone to the league after '22
3. Grade risks often also indicate character risks (athletes get the easiest profs and tons of support)
4. The way he left LSU does not immediately make sense, he was starting- red flag
5. Crownover Blueshirted and Garza grayshirted- where is the return loyalty?
6. Cupp and Smith both have 4 years of eligibility remaining, would they stick around to sit behind Gilbert?

Based on the above, I think 50/50 that he sees the field for us in '22.

Yes, Wydermeyer probably gets drafted after '21. No, nobody has emerged as Wydermeyer's replacement.

Before the 1-time waiver, there were usually 1-3 SEC-worthy TEs in the portal. There will be more going forward. Jimbo should be able to go H2H with anyone for a TE, since we throw to them more than just about anybody. Jace is exhibit #1. Wydermeyer is #2.

That is just too much smoke for me, unless we get some answers on why he left LSU and the grade situation. I get the sense that O runs a very loose "player friendly" ship. IF he can't get along with Ed being his friend, how would he handle Jimbo being his dad?
94chem
Madman said:

I wish - more marketable than most degrees.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Space-Tech
Charlie Murphy said:

Space-Tech said:

RealTalk said:

farwellrob said:

We're a diploma mill.

"Educate" is a tricky word isnt it?
'
PERSON - WOMAN - MAN - CAMERA - TV
TMF
AG
94chem said:

Madman said:

I wish - more marketable than most degrees.

Add plumbing to this after the winter storm.
AG
Space-Tech said:

RealTalk said:

farwellrob said:

We're a diploma mill.

You can't. That's why it's exclusive.
rootube
AG
In summary. We have the best and most productive TE in the country on our team right now, and some promising highly rated guys right behind him, all of them WANT to be here. Oh yea, under Jimbo we have a sterling record of identifying and developing TE's. It's not broken, why tinker?
VatoLocoAggie
Meh. He would be a backup here. I hear he may be a grade risk too. I am fine either way.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
TX_Aggie37
AG
If by backup you mean second TE behind Wydermeyer then sure, but he would absolutely make an impact on the field.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I probably pass, but some are missing the point:

Wydermeyer is probably getting drafted after '21. Gilbert woud be a great replacement, IF he qualifies academically and IF there are not character issues.

Cupp has been injured twice in the 2 years he has been here. Blake Smith is 1/1 getting injured. There is no guarantee that either will materialize.

I would pass on Gilbert unless the IFs get answered. But, I understand why some would roll the dice.
Unemployed
AG
rootube said:

In summary. We have the best and most productive TE in the country on our team right now, and some promising highly rated guys right behind him, all of them WANT to be here. Oh yea, under Jimbo we have a sterling record of identifying and developing TE's. It's not broken, why tinker?
Gilbert has already proven himself on the field to be a pretty good player. Other than Wydermyer, there's nobody else on our roster that has that level of experience and talent.

If there aren't any character issues with Gilbert, he's a definite take.
Bachelor99
AG
RealTalk said:

rootube said:

Gilbert has already proven himself on the field to be a pretty good player. Other than Wydermyer, there's nobody else on our roster that has that level of experience and talent.

If there aren't any character issues with Gilbert, he's a definite take
i totally agree a definite take if all other issues check out. jimbo's offense seems TE centric and we havent seen a lot of 2 TE sets with all our TE injuries.....Cupp has so much potential but not dependable with all his season ending injuries. Gilbert and Wydermyer would do bad things to a defense
rootube
AG
RealTalk said:

rootube said:

If there aren't any character issues with Gilbert, he's a definite take.

Nobody had ever heard of Jace Sternberger before he became an All American here. I believe that having people who are committed to our team is more important than taking a one year free agent and trying to make him happy until he he puts his name in the NFL draft.
AWP 97
AG
Based on talent alone, I would take Gilbert. Unfortunately, there are numerous other factors to consider. As always, I trust Jimbo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.