Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo building a Monster...

9,831 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cc10106
jturner181
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't seen this much talent coming to our defense since early 90's with RC when we had top 5 defenses every year.

We already know we have a loaded backfield, key injuries back on WR, TE crew coming along, and loaded line.

We simply gotta plug a small gap on LB's and we 'should' be there... we should compete this year for SEC championship.

agmag90
Pour me a glass of the koolaid!!!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Still a lot of time for these huge guys. Like the recent success on the recruiting trail, but until they get here, I don't bank on anything. These past few classes have been stellar though, can't wait to see it continue.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

and loaded line
Replacing 4 multi-year starters is no small order. Plus a new QB. I'm optimistic too, but LB isn't our only question.
AWP 97
AG
jturner181 said:

Haven't seen this much talent coming to our defense since early 90's with RC when we had top 5 defenses every year.

We already know we have a loaded backfield, key injuries back on WR, TE crew coming along, and loaded line.

We simply gotta plug a small gap on LB's and we 'should' be there... we should compete this year for SEC championship.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I just don't think we really have a small gap at LB. Unproven, yes, but I really think the DL, Elko's scheme and the talent we have will prove to be more than enough.
wyoag93
AG
Don't forget...in the early 90s, we rarely played anyone with a heartbeat, except in bowl games. So what Jimbo is doing with this program is pretty incredible, considering who we compete with now.
Alpha Texan
AG
Jimbo has shown his ability to bring in guys that aren't just good, but are also changing thee culture of this program to something I haven't seen here before (I haven't been looking long though).
whatthehey78
AG
wyoag93 said:

Don't forget...in the early 90s, we rarely played anyone with a heartbeat, except in bowl games. So what Jimbo is doing with this program is pretty incredible, considering who we compete with now.
^ Spot on.
yardwhisperer
AG
jturner181 said:

Not sure why linebacker is a question. We get Hansford back and Andre White has looked excellent
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
yardwhisperer said:

jturner181 said:

Not sure why linebacker is a question. We get Hansford back and Andre White has looked excellent

You always want more but would agree assuming health. I really like Antonio Doyle and edgerin Cooper as well. I think they will be damn good and maybe our best in a long time.
Divining Rod
wyoag93 said:

His post is about our D. In the early 90s our D was ELITE. Had nothing to do with our schedule. We were GREAT against mediocre teams and GREAT against great teams. Period!
wyoag93
AG
We only played one great team the whole time I was in college (class of 93 here)....and we got our ass kicked. Just being honest. I also remember when Tulsa beat us. Not a good look.

Edit: We had awesome talent, I agree. But the fact is, we only played like one ranked team in 5 or 6 years. Hard to claim being ELITE. We make fun of teams today like that.
e=mc2
AG
wyoag93 said:

We only played one great team the whole time I was in college (class of 93 here)....and we got our ass kicked. Just being honest. I also remember when Tulsa beat us. Not a good look.

Edit: We had awesome talent, I agree. But the fact is, we only played like one ranked team in 5 or 6 years. Hard to claim being ELITE. We make fun of teams today like that.
This post is completely false.
wyoag93
AG
What's false about it? The only ranked team we played at home in my four years in college was Louisville. I honestly don't remember playing any ranked teams on the road. So please tell me....What's false?

Edit: the only "great" team we played in that period was Notre Dame...in the '92 Cotton Bowl, and they beat our ass. You could argue that BYU was great, but who did they play? We did play Notre Dame and Florida State close in the other two bowl games, but still lost.
Divining Rod
wow- what a tool ^
wyoag93
AG
Wow...I guess some people can't cope with reality. Instead of calling me a tool, tell me where I'm wrong.
wtr1975
AG
wyoag93 said:

The reality all too often overlooked and ignored by those who cling to and are enamored by the thin record of beating up on the SWC weak sisters at its lowest ebb and every directional school in La year in and year out followed by the annual beat down loss in the bowl game. Coach Fisher is building so much more!!
94 Aggie
I was there, too. Yeah, we beat those SWC conference teams, but we also beat MIZZOU and others in the regular season, and it wasn't about who we played it was about how WE played. We steamrolled people, we may have lost our bowl games against FSU and Notre Dame, but there were also less bowl games that were played, not like today. For the folks that remember, it really meant something to make it to the Cotton Bowl in the early 90's!
wyoag93
AG
I remember beating mighty MIZZOU. They were a major powerhouse! Lol

I'm not saying we weren't a talented team in the early 90s, but to honestly compare that to what Jimbo is doing today is ridiculous. This is easily the high point in Aggie football, and it should be, given the resources we have.
e=mc2
AG
wyoag93 said:

What's false about it? The only ranked team we played at home in my four years in college was Louisville. I honestly don't remember playing any ranked teams on the road. So please tell me....What's false?

Edit: the only "great" team we played in that period was Notre Dame...in the '92 Cotton Bowl, and they beat our ass. You could argue that BYU was great, but who did they play? We did play Notre Dame and Florida State close in the other two bowl games, but still lost.
UH was ranked No. 12 in 1990
Texas was ranked No. 5 in 1990
BYU was ranked No. 13 in 1990
Baylor was ranked No. 16 in 1991
FSU was ranked No. 5 in 1991
Stanford was ranked No. 20 in 1992
ND was ranked No. 5 in 1992
OU was ranked No. 16 in 1993
Louisville was ranked No. 20 in 1993
ND was ranked No. 4 in 1993

So yeah - your post was FOS.

Snap E Tom
yardwhisperer said:

jturner181 said:

OP has spewed the "I'm worried about LB" line repeatedly. People have explained to him why we're ok at LB. OP always ignores it and keeps spewing the line.
SinKiller
wyoag93 said:

Kinda like Darrell Royal at Texas?
tech ag
A&M played nobody of consequence in the early 90's. It is why they always lost the bowl games. But now we play real football teams. I honestly believe if we played the BDF teams these days we would straight up wax them. Run them over 90's style
TexanJeff
AG
You aren't sure why linebacker is a question when we only have 2 and one is a converted receiver?

We are playing big boy football. Compared to the talent in the secondary and the line this spot is a low point. I am not saying it is a dumpster fire but we are not crazy for questioning it.
crowman2010
AG
e=mc2 said:

wyoag93 said:

UH was ranked No. 12 in 1990
Texas was ranked No. 5 in 1990
BYU was ranked No. 13 in 1990
Baylor was ranked No. 16 in 1991
FSU was ranked No. 5 in 1991
Stanford was ranked No. 20 in 1992
ND was ranked No. 5 in 1992
OU was ranked No. 16 in 1993
Louisville was ranked No. 20 in 1993
ND was ranked No. 4 in 1993

So yeah - your post was FOS.

So...in 4 seasons we only played 10 ranked teams.

Yeah, our schedule was cake

ETA: Just goes to prove how soft "Old Army" really is...
CoachtobeNamed$$$
TexanJeff said:

You aren't sure why linebacker is a question when we only have 2 and one is a converted receiver?

We are playing big boy football. Compared to the talent in the secondary and the line this spot is a low point. I am not saying it is a dumpster fire but we are not crazy for questioning it.
We could always use a couple of linebackers in each class, but to say we only have 2 is not correct. Hansford was a LB and receiver in HS who thought his future was at WR. He was a stud LB in HS and has seen the light now knowing his prospects for playing at the next level is at LB. I thought he did a fairly nice job last season getting back into the groove. White is a stud. We've got 4-5 more behind them that should be ready to go. Doyle and Cooper especially. Buddy was great last season, but I don't think we'll see much of a drop off this year.
schmellba99
AG
wyoag93 said:

From 1990-1993, the Ags were 4-6 against ranked teams.

1990 -
Lost to #12 Houston (Away)
Lost to #5 tu (Away)
Beat #13 BYU in the Holiday Bowl

1991 -
Beat No. 16 Baylor (Away)
Lost to No. 5 FSU in the Cotton Bowl

1992 -
Beat No. 20 Stanford (Away)
Lost to No. 5 Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl

1993 -
Lost to No. 16 OU (Away)
Beat No. 20 Louisville (Home)
Lost to No. 4 Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl
schmellba99
AG
TexanJeff said:

White played both LB and receiver in high school, and was primarily recruited as a linebacker. He came here partly because our staff told him he would have an opportunity to play receiver, which they gave him the chance to do so. He didn't really see the field as a receiver and agreed to make the switch to LB because it meant playing time, and it has been a good choice for him.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
And since we're talking class of 93 (first Fall semester would be '89)
Fall 1989
Beat #7 LSU 28-16
Beat #8 UofH 17-13
sleepybeagle
AG
Divining Rod said:

wow- what a tool ^
Calling a fellow Ag a tool... wait you don't have an Ag Tag so I don't know if that's even true.
Stupid@17
AG
This is a Kool-aid only board.

If you have not already done so, drink some.
aggiejim70
AG
Submitted for your approval, if we were still in the BDF, we wouldn't have the team or the coach we have today.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
tech ag
Of course we would not. Sumlin would probably still be the coach and we would be Charmin soft like the rest of the conference
infinity ag
Guys, I won't swoon just yet, but all the hard data shows that we are GETTING BETTER.

Recruiting is probably the best ever, and Jimbo and staff are coaching really well. Now if only the stars aligned for us...
AG
schmellba99 said:

TexanJeff said:

White played both LB and receiver in high school, and was primarily recruited as a linebacker. He came here partly because our staff told him he would have an opportunity to play receiver, which they gave him the chance to do so. He didn't really see the field as a receiver and agreed to make the switch to LB because it meant playing time, and it has been a good choice for him.

That was Hansford, not White.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.