Story Poster
Photo by Vasha Hunt-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Football

Kellen Mond earns Senior Bowl MVP honors with strong second half

January 31, 2021

Kellen Mond finished his record-setting Aggie football tenure on January 2 with an Orange Bowl victory, but he added one last impressive performance in an A&M helmet in Saturday’s Senior Bowl. Mond, who started for the American squad led by Carolina Panthers coach Matt Rhule, put an exclamation point on his college career by earning MVP honors after throwing for two second-half touchdowns and converting a pair of two-point tries.

With his team trailing 13-0 in the third quarter, Mond led a drive that culminated in a 15-yard touchdown strike to Clemson wide receiver Amari Rodgers. On the ensuing two-point attempt, Mond rolled right, juked Ohio State linebacker Justin Hilliard, and scrambled into the end zone.

On the American team’s next possession, Mond continued to find open receivers. On a 3rd and 2 from the 14-yard line, the four-year A&M quarterback connected with another one-time college opponent, hitting Tennessee’s Josh Palmer on a slant for six points.

Rhule again elected to go for two, and Mond once again called Rodgers’ number. Forced to throw across his body, Mond hit Rodgers in the back of the end zone between two defenders.

“We're talking about a really, really football-smart guy here. He kind of got into a rhythm there in the third quarter, just ripping some seam balls, making some plays. I think he's got a bright future."
- Carolina head coach Matt Rhule

Rhule heaped praise on Mond following the game, which is put on by the NFL and offers college players a full week of practice in front of league coaches and scouts.

"We're talking about a really, really football-smart guy here," Rhule said. "He's got one of those memories. You give him a play and he knows it. He kind of got into a rhythm there in the third quarter, just ripping some seam balls, making some plays. I think he's got a bright future."

Mond finished the game 13-25 for 173 yards and the two scores and attributed his performance to his years of work at A&M.

“It’s a huge sign of just everything that I’ve worked for,” Mond said. “I’ve definitely had some ups and downs throughout my career, but to have come out here on a huge stage and performed the way I wanted to and execute, it was definitely huge.”

Mond, who helped lead the Aggies to a 9-1 record and a No. 4 finish this season, reflected on the challenges and rewards of his final year playing under Jimbo Fisher.

“It’s been amazing. Just kind of evaluating throughout the off-season and just trying to find the best version of me. (It was) just really all about growth in all aspects of life. It’s been a huge blessing and I’ve had a lot of great people around me.”

Mond was one of three Aggies in Mobile for the game, joined by senior offensive linemen Dan Moore and Carson Green.

Discussion from...

Kellen Mond earns Senior Bowl MVP honors with strong second half

12,115 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jb 00
bfvp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PyriteAg
AG
It was amazing to see him do so well.

He will be greatly missed here. I hope he does well in the NFL and make some $$$.
Gord89
AG
Congrats Kellen! Gig'em!
amercer
jb 00
Congratulations and good luck in the NFL!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.