Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sully stays!

6,452 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PanzerAggie06
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?

rootube
AG
I'm sure this will settle things and we will never hear about this again.
Jbob04
AG
Sully
Krazykat
AG
"Much disputed?"
W
AG
good call in waiting until after the Orange Bowl
DustysLineup
AG
The statue was erected by the State of Texas; it was highly debatable whether campus officials even have any authority to remove it.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I guess the precipitous drop in alumni giving last year was a message they received loud and clear.
MaroonGoons2020
AG
Texas A&M said:

Can the players just going back to playing football next season?

Why do you post this on the football forum? Take it to the political forum!
DD88
AG
When Sully was 22 years old, he fought to defend the State of Texas.

That is why leftists are trying to cancel him now.

What percent of young men do you think would have abandoned their homeland to fight against their own state?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
DD88 said:

When Sully was 22 years old, he fought to defend the State of Texas.

That is why leftists are trying to cancel him now.

What percent of young men do you think would have abandoned their homeland to fight against their own state?

Well, almost the whole pre-civil war regular army and 80% of the officer corps chose to stay loyal to their country rather than throw in their lot with the traitors. So...

(Source: https://history.army.mil/html/books/075/75-1/index.html )

But yeah. Some committed treason against the United States and rationalized it as being loyal to their home states.
Thanks and gig'em
Maroon Flash
AG
If we want to go way back, the right of a state to secede was never questioned until the south decided to secede. In 1814 while the US was at war the New England states held a convention to discuss secession. They decided they would be better staying in the union and dominating it. We ought to think twice about using derogatory terms to refer to men who faced hard choices.
DustysLineup
AG
I'm shocked just shocked to see a self-described "journalist" reduce one of the most complex and dense chapters in American history to "treason." Credit to the profession! Or at least sadly typical of it.
achooooo
hunter2012; don't waste your time trying to educate a simpleton like Sponge.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
Username definitely checks out- LOL!!
Charlie 31
AG
The Battalion: "Sully statue to stay, per university officials"

From the article:
"According to The Eagle, interim President John Junkins said it is likely more statues and monuments will be added to campus, with no removal of any present ones. Junkins said the intention of the statues is to outline the history of A&M."

If Texas A&M is going to add another statue as proposed in this article then it needs to dedicate a statue of Edward Benjamin Cushing outside the Cushing Memorial Library on the east side of the Academic Building to honor the Texas A&M graduate who in 1912 saved his and our alma mater from extinction.

Cushing--an 1880 graduate of the Texas A&M College--in 1912 while serving as Chairman of the Texas A&M Board of Regents personally bankrolled the Texas A&M College while simultaneously leading a political campaign to prevent the Texas A&M College from being consolidated with the University of Texas by state lawmakers. Cushing previously served as a Southern Pacific Railroad civil engineer and later served as a U.S. Army colonel in World War I.

Texas A&M Board Chairman Edward Benjamin Cushing and Texas A&M President (and former Texas Governor) Lawrence Sullivan Ross both literally saved Texas A&M College from being lost to the ash heap of history.

1 edit to reformat the text
BertramAg99
AG
He who is without sin cast the first stone. How about all of us worry about improving ourselves every day and improving those around us to become better people. Rising tide rises all boats Focusing on "past sins" of people over a 100 years does nothing but divide and anger people. There is not one person we revere and honor from the past that we cant something wrong with and beat them over the head with.
Texas A&M
MaroonGoons2020 said:

Texas A&M said:

Can the players just going back to playing football next season?

Why do you post this on the football forum? Take it to the political forum!
The players made the choice. You should ask a similar question to them.
Mister Mystery Guest
Is Rusty Surette GLBLTQ?
Jbob04
AG
Mister Mystery Guest said:

Is Rusty Surette GLBLTQ?

Yes
The Dirty Sock
Does this mean I have to start giving money to the 12th man foundation again? I liked keeping that money
TopoTacos
AG
I understand the point of those who wish to keep the statue up, Sully was incredible important to the history of this University and the statue was erected to honor and spotlight that contribution and has become a strong tradition on campus.

That said, if you can't at least recognize that this debate is a complex one and that there is nuance around celebrating a man who fought in a war over the right to declare someone as property based on their skin color then you lack critical thinking skills and were let down by our education system.
Jbob04
AG
TopoTacos said:

I understand the point of those who wish to keep the statue up, Sully was incredible important to the history of this University and the statue was erected to honor and spotlight that contribution and has become a strong tradition on campus.

That said, if you can't at least recognize that this debate is a complex one and that there is nuance around celebrating a man who fought in a war over the right to declare someone as property based on their skin color then you lack critical thinking skills and were let down by our education system.

So your solution is to erase history and pretend it never happened so you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside? A&M wouldn't exist without Sully and if that doesn't deserve a statue, I don't know what does.
PanzerAggie06
AG
Jbob04 said:

TopoTacos said:

So your solution is to erase history and pretend it never happened so you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside? A&M wouldn't exist without Sully and if that doesn't deserve a statue, I don't know what does.

Haha. Thanks for validating the last line of the post you responded to. Your lack of reading comprehension speaks poorly of our education system. No where in that post did the poster come close to suggesting anything you wrote of.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.