Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Big cigars already messing with Sark's hires?

12,658 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1st Generation Ag
Vinny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It sure looks that way...

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/1/22/22245341/mike-stoops-job-offer-rescinded-steve-sarkisian-texas-longhorns
NathanChristie
AG
I bet it's from all the entitled little cigars too.
West Point Aggie
AG
Not particularly applicable to this thread but everything about that school and program screams "a**hole"

Just sayin'...we need to stay away from entering into relations with those people! Let bayLOL, the tards, and purple tards deal with them...
aggiebrad94
AG
Pretty idiotic of Stoops to think he would be accepted there after bad mouthing them as a rival.
amercer
AG
Comments there are gold.

Way the scuttle the hire of a really experienced coach with deep recurring ties to Texas as a lowly assistant, tu social media bros....
Emilio Fantastico
AG
But didn't Stoops suck as a DC after his head coaching stint? I thought the ou fan opinion was it was all Venebles back when ou had a defense and Stoops by himself sucked.
Bunkhouse96
AG
tu was hiring him as a linebacker coach/recruiter not DC
HoustonAg2106
AG
Sark can't even hire who he wants to be a linebackers coach? That place is a disaster
Vinny
Quote:

Absolutely - This is why we will continue to SUCK
Most of you simply don't get it and are part of the problem. This is EXACTLY why no one can be successful coaching at Texas because no coach is truly given the authority to just do his job and coach football. Some rich UT alumni is always watching in the bushes.waiting to pounce if you irritate him in the slightest bit.

How dare you offend the Texas legacy?

One of the comments after the article. Someone sees the truth and I couldn't agree more.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
But hopefully the rest of the idiots over there continue to not see that they are part of the problem.
aeon-ag
The trouble with these sip fools is they can't realize, there is no more Darelll Royals hanging around. Matter of fact Royal had all the $$$ he wanted and with unlimited scholarships he could get all the players he wanted, sometimes to have players sitting on the bench just prevent them from playing against him.
Divining Rod
aeon-ag said:

The trouble with these sip fools is they can't realize, there is no more Darelll Royals hanging around. Matter of fact Royal had all the $$$ he wanted and with unlimited scholarships he could get all the players he wanted, sometimes to have players sitting on the bench just prevent them from playing against him.

This- since the modern era (early 70s with the intriduction of scholly limits and admittance of the black athlete in numbers, Ags and 'sips are virtually tied. A&M would have a commanding lead by niw
had the series not been stopped.

Some there are starting to understand just hiw much things have shifted. That toothpaste aint EVER jumping back in the tube.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
As if this place wouldn't go ape cheet if Jimbo wanted to hire butterteeth or Mensa
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Butterteeth as a snake oil salesman to close on recruits would be a good hire.
Vinny
Quote:

As if this place wouldn't go ape cheet if Jimbo wanted to hire butterteeth or Mensa

Hire butter teeth as part of Jimbo's staff? Hell yeah! Our recruiting would be unstoppable.

However, I did think about this and when have we ever meddled with the hiring of assistant coaches? We may not approved of some but I don't ever recall the big wigs flat out blocking a head coach from filling out his staff. This is the kind of crap that Jerry Jones has pulled over the years and you can see how that's turned out for the Cowboys.
aggiehawg
AG
I am not saying that the Big Cigars should be involved in the hiring of position coaches, as long they have a competent AD.

Wasn't that long ago that Charlie Strong went unsupervised by his AD and managed to spark a lawsuit over his hires.
BrandoC
AG
The Co- D coordinators he hired were at Washington with him.
halfastros81
AG
To me A & M has been pretty good about staying out of our coach's business. I'm sure there are exceptions but it's pretty hard to find serious fault here. Sure the fan boards are full of people that rant but it doesn't seem to be a big issue in the real world.

Jimbo should be free to hire whoever he wants whenever he wants. He clearly knows what he's
Doing . If he hired Bozo the Clown then I'd say he probably has a Damned good reason for doing so.

Completely agree with Emilio. The
Longer it takes for the tu cigars to cease their meddling the better.
VatoLocoAggie
tu sips are pathetic entitled losers. They belong in the BDF with the Tards and Cheaters.

They will never be a successful winning program anymore because their wealthy donors call the shots and bring politics and personal agendas into the program.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
Unemployed
AG
Those guys were mouthing off when Tennessee did the same thing to Schiano.

Eff the sips. Bunch of hypocrites.
VonDaMan
AG
Sips will be sips. Let it burn.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Sumlin was pressured to hire chavis or someone like him. Sumlin was pressed to fire spav. Sumlin was pressured to hire Jim Turner.

Now the difference is that our bigs were willing to pay someone good as a replacement for someone mediocre. Point is, our bigs will meddle some. Sometimes it's appropriate.

I met stoops at a HS game 15 years ago and he struck me as a phony. That said, he has a lot of experience and probably deserved the benefit of the doubt.
halfastros81
AG
Putting pressure on Sumlin to jettison Spav is nothing like vetoing a new head coaches position coach choice imo.

Likewise Turner was a known entity here.

I'm not saying Ags don't meddle but it's an order of magnitude less than tu.
NathanChristie
AG
Hilarious. But if Sark didn't think there would be at least some backlash, he's in for a rude awakening.

And poor Mike.

Charlie 31
AG
I respect Sark's decision...
TopoTacos
AG
Time after time we see how teams have trouble taking the next step when coaches have to deal with the boosters who think their dollars equal football sense.

Kinda wished they'd hired Stoops, but this level of meddling will kill their record way more than his defense would've
SinKiller
Divining Rod said:

aeon-ag said:

This- since the modern era (early 70s with the intriduction of scholly limits and admittance of the black athlete in numbers, Ags and 'sips are virtually tied. A&M would have a commanding lead by niw
had the series not been stopped.

Some there are starting to understand just hiw much things have shifted. That toothpaste aint EVER jumping back in the tube.
And A&M opening up to women...
MaroonGoons2020
AG
Vinny said:

It sure looks that way...

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/1/22/22245341/mike-stoops-job-offer-rescinded-steve-sarkisian-texas-longhorns

You tend to question Starks judgment for trying to hire a Stoops to t.u. In the first place.
oklacityag75
AG
Welcome to the Cesspool of College football, Stark!!!
All_In_Ags
roygbell
Emilio Fantastico said:

But didn't Stoops suck as a DC after his head coaching stint? I thought the ou fan opinion was it was all Venebles back when ou had a defense and Stoops by himself sucked.
I'm positive that Stoops and Venable defensive failures at OU were more about poor recruiting than coaching. Stoops and Venables success as a tandem in the early years at OU was both good coaching and excellent recruiting. Bob Stoops was a very good head coach. However in the middle of his years at OU his ability to recruit defensive players significantly dropped off, even offensive recruiting dropped off, but not at the level as in defense. Riley firing Mike and hiring Grinch has paid off in huge dividends in defensive recruiting. Riley's offensive recruiting is off the charts. Also, part of Bob Stoops mid-career hiring significantly dropped off, especially on defense. Four years of DL coaches really hurt consistency.

I think that Venables success at Clemson is more related to his ability to recruit defensive players than it is coaching.
jickyjack1
aeon-ag said:

Sometimes? It was much more than "sometimes" and was the key to Royal's success. That's not sour grapes. In Yogi's words, "You could look it up".
jickyjack1
TAM85
Yeah, I think Sumlin had to fire Spav, which lead to Kyle Allen transferring.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
roygbell said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

I'm positive that Stoops and Venable defensive failures at OU were more about poor recruiting than coaching. Stoops and Venables success as a tandem in the early years at OU was both good coaching and excellent recruiting. Bob Stoops was a very good head coach. However in the middle of his years at OU his ability to recruit defensive players significantly dropped off, even offensive recruiting dropped off, but not at the level as in defense. Riley firing Mike and hiring Grinch has paid off in huge dividends in defensive recruiting. Riley's offensive recruiting is off the charts. Also, part of Bob Stoops mid-career hiring significantly dropped off, especially on defense. Four years of DL coaches really hurt consistency.

I think that Venables success at Clemson is more related to his ability to recruit defensive players than it is coaching.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I wonder what substance, if any, is there to allegations of Venable's sign stealing and Ohio State's performance against Clemson with that in mind?
1st Generation Ag
If you wanna see what happens when a sip tries to be cultured, click that BON article and read the comments. One of them tries to paraphrase Shakespeare, then has to explain it when none of the others catches the reference. Then they start cursing at each other over it.

Unintentional comedic gold.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.