Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Tim DeRuyter, did Texags run him off

8,754 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by VatoLocoAggie
SonOf_an_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't remember what the Texags grade on him was

New DC at Oregon
Sterling82
No. He got the HC gig at Fresno. His leaving was a final nail in Sherman's coffin because we didn't want to go into the SEC with the prospect of hiring a subpar replacement due to Sherman being on the hot seat.
JA83
AG
I think he left in the transition from Sherman to Sumlin. He became Head Coach at Fresno State, but only got mediocre results there. Still, he was a good DC for us.
SonOf_an_Ag
AG
I remember liking the hire and seeing improvement but around 2011 it all went haywire
Al Bula
AG
Sterling82 said:

No. He got the HC gig at Fresno. His leaving was a final nail in Sherman's coffin because we didn't want to go into the SEC with the prospect of hiring a subpar replacement due to Sherman being on the hot seat.
wtf?! Sherm was fired and Tim coached our bowl game against Northwestern.
Sterling82
Yes. But he was already known to be a top candidate for the Fresno job. I believe this was covered by Loftin.
Dr Lane Trowlan
His defenses were good. I liked Deruyter.
greg.w.h
AG
Seemed a nice enough guy. Some folks thought he should take over when Sherman eventually would be let go. But his HC gig at Fresno State did not go well and he was fired there.

His second season was the year we couldn't defend leads and right, wrong, or indifferent that colored his tenure. Sumlin might have kept him if he didn't get the Fresno State nod, but it seemed there zero chance of him staying by the bowl game.

His work on defense at Cal earned him the Oregon DC job. I think he will do well there.

bqce
AG
To answer your question directly, no.
jickyjack1
He seemed to be well liked by the fans; I know I liked him. He had a friendly, positive personality and was pretty good at what he did. The players played for him. I join in whishing him good luck.
pete85
AG
Ahhhh... you do recall how many times we lost late in the game in 2011? Beginning with Okie Lite...
and ending with the infamous t.u. game.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Ol' _eruyter.
W
AG
always grateful for his pulling the team through and to victory in the Car Care Bowl (at the end of the 2011 season). It kick started the Ags 7-3 (current) bowl stretch.

the defense held on in the 4th quarter of that game
ABATTBQ11
AG
SonOf_an_Ag said:

I remember liking the hire and seeing improvement but around 2011 it all went haywire

Von let after 2010. Kind of hard not to take a step back.
Divining Rod
Remember hiw long it was taking to hire him?

There was a pretty good "Top 10 Reasons" thread about that. Dont know if that old stuff is searchable .
TyperWoods
Winningest HC in A&M history.

I liked him. I guesstimate TexAgs was slightly approving of him, although he did have detractors.

He was no Torbush, but no Elko either.
C4D
AG
2010 Nebraska was the loudest I have experienced Kyle.

6-9

That was an awesome game and some of Deruyter's best work in Aggieland
Caesar4
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Ol' _eruyter.

Wasn't that Darnell where folks left off the D?
Agsuffering@bulaw
No. He was a good DC. His teams could stop the run.
CajunAg86
Haha. Texags is fun and can even be informative but if a college coach is "run off" by a bunch of anonymous internet keyboard artists then he never should have been here - or anywhere. "We" have zero power (except for those true BMAs who might post here)
Psych
AG
Did an outstanding job here. If I remember correctly, he left for Fresno State HC job because Sumlin was taking his time to decide on if he wanted to keep him or not.
SW AG80
AG
While DeRuyter was the HC at Fresno State I ran into him at Chimy's during the spring. He was back at A&M visiting his daughter. I had a childhood friend with me who was a high school head FB coach. I had never met Tim before but he knew my son from Tim's time at A&M. He sat with us, had drinks with us and talked FB with my long time friend. Tim is a great guy and my friend will never forget that day.
Wearetheaggies
AG
Texags run off a coach??? Hell, we can't even run each other off. That's some flawed thinkin' right there.
Fishwrangler11
AG
Prior to Elko, I'd say he was the best DC we had since Slocum left! He was definitely helped by the presence of Von, but his aggressive schemes made us a force to be reckoned with! I may be crazy to say this, but that Nebraska game might be the last WC defense kinda game we'll ever see with the way offenses are now. I think I shed a tear after that 2nd sack Von had to end the game. Also, don't forget the goal line stands of Demarco that season too! What a fun year to be a senior! TD was the man!
Bryanisbest
AG
Sherman was notified he was fired by phone call when he was sitting in the driveway of a recruit after our season was over. A low class way for a university to treat a loyal employee.
evan_aggie
AG
Didn't we have some of the worst pass defense under TD?
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Sherman was notified he was fired by phone call when he was sitting in the driveway of a recruit after our season was over. A low class way for a university to treat a loyal employee.

That's cause the guy that fired him was a low class piece of shiite.
TXAGBQ76
AG
And then left. So he was interim HC during the transition
Showstopper
AG
Caesar4 said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Ol' _eruyter.

Wasn't that Darnell where folks left off the D?
And you think this place doesn't re-use tired dad jokes because...?
Burnsey
AG
I'm pretty certain we did not win a natty in 2010 or 2011. I have to give Timmay two thumbs down.
T-Shizzle
He used to bring that heat.(blitzes)
Wisconsin_Ag
Fishwrangler11 said:

Prior to Elko, I'd say he was the best DC we had since Slocum left! He was definitely helped by the presence of Von, but his aggressive schemes made us a force to be reckoned with! I may be crazy to say this, but that Nebraska game might be the last WC defense kinda game we'll ever see with the way offenses are now. I think I shed a tear after that 2nd sack Von had to end the game. Also, don't forget the goal line stands of Demarco that season too! What a fun year to be a senior! TD was the man!
Do you think that Tim was a better DC for us than Bob Davie? I know he was before Slocum left but just wondering what the consensus is on best DC since Jackie left.
Reno Hightower
Bob
Davie
SA-AG72
AG
Melvin Robertson and RC weren't too shabby as DCs.
I realize they were before and during Jackie's tenure but bring fond memories of their defenses.
jickyjack1
SA-AG72 said:

Melvin Robertson and RC weren't too shabby as DCs.
I realize they were before and during Jackie's tenure but bring fond memories of their defenses.

Robertson, RC and Davie were excellent DCs. First rank. Not sure DeRuyter was quite their level, but he was dang good.
jickyjack1
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.