Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Leaving points on the field for sportmanship hurt A&M

8,810 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by IceAg08
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Romello said:

Not playing and hopefully beating Ole Miss didn't help either.
Being 9-1 with an all SEC schedule would've been pretty salty... (as if 8-1 wasn't).

Not the most exciting, but still one of the best seasons we've had in years!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Face it.

ND was undefeated in the regular season. Only 2 other teams did that, Alabama & tOSU (for what they played of their season, but alas). ND did lose their conference championship. Clemson, 1 loss in the regular season, but did win the CCG. Bama, undefeated with a conference championship win to boot.

Yes we were an all SEC schedule, but the 4 that got in either went undefeated in their regular season or had a conference championship win. We had neither.

The ONLY argument that I see as valid is the short B1G schedule tOSU played. 3 or 4 more games, they might have dropped one of them. End of the day though the CFP folks did not want a 2-conference CFP. They needed the 3rd conference represented. PAC was a no-go. BigXII was a no-go.

I don't think it's some national media conspiracy out "to get" A&M. I just don't think they wanted a 2 conference playoff, and the cards fell in such a way that there were only 4 P5 teams in the country that fit the bill of undefeated regular season and/or a conference championship. I think the ones that are cut out, and perhaps rightfully so are the G5 schools.
ironmanag
AG
zephyr88 said:

ironmanag said:

This is incorrect.

ND was 6-6 vs the spread. (Didn't matter)

Ohio state was 6-5 (Didn't matter)

A&M was 6-3 (Didn't matter)
How was Ohio State 6-5 against the spread?
They only played 8 games including 2 in the playoffs.

Ohio State was illegitimately ranked.
I corrected I looked at the 2019
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
ironmanag
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Face it.

ND was undefeated in the regular season. Only 2 other teams did that, Alabama & tOSU (for what they played of their season, but alas). ND did lose their conference championship. Clemson, 1 loss in the regular season, but did win the CCG. Bama, undefeated with a conference championship win to boot.

Yes we were an all SEC schedule, but the 4 that got in either went undefeated in their regular season or had a conference championship win. We had neither.

The ONLY argument that I see as valid is the short B1G schedule tOSU played. 3 or 4 more games, they might have dropped one of them. End of the day though the CFP folks did not want a 2-conference CFP. They needed the 3rd conference represented. PAC was a no-go. BigXII was a no-go.

I don't think it's some national media conspiracy out "to get" A&M. I just don't think they wanted a 2 conference playoff, and the cards fell in such a way that there were only 4 P5 teams in the country that fit the bill of undefeated regular season and/or a conference championship. I think the ones that are cut out, and perhaps rightfully so are the G5 schools.
Once again.

No conference championship game loser has ever made the playoffs. EVER..

Till this year.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Face it.

Before this season, no conference championship game loser has made the playoffs. Two teams went undefeated in the regular season but lost the Big 10 Championship Game and didn't make the playoffs.

2015: No. 4 12-0 Iowa lost to No. 5 11-1 Michigan State 16-13 in the Big 10 Championship Game and dropped to No. 6.

2017: No. 3 12-0 Wisconsin lost to No. 8 10-2 Ohio State 27-21 in the Big 10 Championship Game and dropped to No. 6.

No 1-loss SEC team had been left out of the playoffs. In 2017, Alabama went 11-1, but their regular season-ending loss to Auburn costed them the SEC West division title. With No. 2 10-2 Auburn's loss to No. 6 11-1 Georgia in the SEC Championship game Alabama and Wisconsin's loss to Ohio State in the Big 10 Championship game, Alabama backed into the playoffs behind Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia.

By selecting 10-1 Notre Dame over 8-1 Texas A&M, the College Football Committee broke both precedents.
BBAg74
AG
ColleyvilleAg06 said:

I think the late garbage time scores given up to LSU & Arkansas were actually more costly than not tacking on field goals at the ends of games but I agree that it is unfortunate some pollsters only look at margin of victory.

I agree that pulling Mond in the 4th against Bama cost us. I was one of the few disappointed in that decision at the time. Mond was playing well at that point in time (TD on previous drive, and the previous 2 being 12 play long drives to the red zone. 52-31 changes the narrative quite a bit

Also- kneeling against Vandy was the right move. Never ever jeopardize a win in any way to run up the score. No way would I want to see us attempt a FG when we had the opportunity to run out the clock.... That's a termination worthy offense.
Kevin Steele says "hi." 3rd paragraph related.
NoahAg
halfastros81 said:

I know the perception is that Notre Dame brings more eyes to the TV but I wonder if that's really true? Anyone else think that Incremental eyes from Texas and the rest of SEC country may have exceeded ND?
The most casual of sports fans across the country know exactly who Notre Dame is. Can't say the same about A&M. Notre Dame draws more viewers. It's not even close.
Agsuffering@bulaw
A team must be judged on its entire body of work. They don't get a pass for losing in the ccg.

ND was over rated and the committee knew it. Their mid season win over Clemson was fool's gold. It should have been downgraded based on the reality of the situation. Getting pummeled in the ccg confirmed it. Getting rolled by bama double confirmed.

The fix was in. the sports media has never gone into attack mode like this before to push a narrative. It was just too weird.

It was fun seeing under dog sec teams wreck shop in the bowls.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Biggest Game that hurt us was LSU. We were just about the main game everyone in the country was watching at that time and our offense laid an egg. Our defense was dominant, but because our offense was so abysmal, many in the media were just saying LSU sucked. Possibly Mond's worst game of the year. If we would have dominated both sides of the ball in the LSU game, I think we may have moved up.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
After a very uninspiring 17-12 home win over Vanderbilt and a 52-24 blowout loss at Alabama, we seemed headed for a mediocre 5-5 season, but we finished the regular season on a 7-game winning streak to finish 8-1. Following a thrilling 41-38 win over Florida, we won 6 consecutive games by 11+ points, and in those games, our average margin of victory was 19 points.

On the final day before the College Football Playoff Committee selection day, we dominated Tennessee 34-13 on the road, and Clemson crushed Notre Dame 34-10 in the ACC Championship game. Even with injuries to Trevor Lawrence and several defensive starters, Notre Dame still needed 2 overtimes to defeat Clemson 47-40 at home on 11/7. The CFP committee knew Notre Dame was overrated, but they wanted playoff match-ups that would attract the most viewers. When resumes between two schools are debatable, the committee would select the more famous school.
azhector72

Reason we didnt get into CFP is because we are just now starting to show we are a top 5 team.

The other 4 teams have been winning for 10 years, including Oklahoma.

I say we stay classy and keep playing the way we play. I think we stand out to our fans, our recruits, our soul, our culture to stay classy.

Running up the score meant nothing for OSU, BAMA still whipped them and they were not focused on winning the game.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

Quote:

halfastros81 said:

I know the perception is that Notre Dame brings more eyes to the TV but I wonder if that's really true? Anyone else think that Incremental eyes from Texas and the rest of SEC country may have exceeded ND?

The most casual of sports fans across the country know exactly who Notre Dame is. Can't say the same about A&M. Notre Dame draws more viewers. It's not even close.

That seems to be everyone's assumption and it's likely true but is there some kind of metric or support out there that proves it? I'm not arguing the point, just wondering about what the basis for it is.

Edited it to add this.: I may not be the norm but I try to watch every SEC bowl game I can unless I have other plans. I do sometimes plan things I want or need to do around bowl games with SEC teams in them.

If there are enough like me that are fans of other SEC schools that brings quite a few eyes . I also think some of the fans of other Texas based schools would be more interested to watch A & M than Notre Dame.
LatinAggie1997
AG
SunrayAg said:

Would not have mattered.

ESPN got the matchups they wanted. We could have won 8 games by 4 td's each, and lost to Bama on a walk off field goal. And they still would have taken Norte dame and half season OSU.

The committee cares about ratings. That's it. Style points are just an excuse they use to prop up the teams they want.

Least watched national championship game of all time...so their ratings plan did NOT work out.
chet_75
AG
There are things more important than the difference between #2 and #4.
alamogeorge
AG
I'll tell Jimbo.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Aggie1188
Ol Rock said:

I think one reason we missed the playoffs is because voters only see the final score and don't give credit for sportsmanship at the end of game.

1) We got roasted for the 5 point win over Vandy. Yes, we played badly but started kneeling the ball with the 1:06 remaining on the 35 yard line. A score would have led to a double digit win. Even a field goal might have helped.

2) After being tied up at 14, Alabama blew us out. However in the 4th, Mond led a scoring drive. The next drive, with over 5 min, was led by King. He threw an INT in the endzone. I loved this as a fan, but a little better score v Bama might have helped voters.

3) We ended the Miss St game on the 2 yd line with a 14 pt lead.

4) There were two, or maybe 3, games where we finished kneeling just outside of field goal range with a lead and time on the clock. (These might not have had much of an impact)

I personally like Jimbo's sportsmanship at the end of game, but, objectively, adding a late score at the end of some of these games might have helped us make the playoffs.

I don't agree with it, but sadly it appears to matter.
Jimbo is stubborn on stuff like this and hiring an OC for expanding our passing-game to compliment Jimbo's playcalling. It's why we missed the playoff this year and will be the reason when we miss it again despite only one loss.

Someone needs to wake him up on some 2021 realities.
AG
ironmanag said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

Face it.

Once again.

No conference championship game loser has ever made the playoffs. EVER..

Till this year.

Well, "Ever" was only 6 years worth of history, so banking on that was silly to begin with.
Txhuntr
AG
We missed the playoffs because we lost to Bama 52-24. The problem is almost everyone else did too.
TAMU74
AG
This idea that Fisher needs to run up the score is total nonsense.
WE are not a media darling or Blue blood, and probably never will be.
So running up a score makes no difference to those morons.
AvidAggie
AG
2014 CFP was also controversial to say the least.

TCU was ranked 3rd before the final weekend and beat ISU by 52. TCU had one loss to Top 5 Baylor by 3.

Ohio St was ranked 5th and beat Wisconsin by 59. Ohio St had one loss to 6-6 Va Tech by 14.

After those games they moved 11-1 TCU DOWN from 3rd to 6th to miss the playoffs. Could you imagine this place if that happened to the Ags?

Also, this happened to be the year that Ohio St won it.

TCU finished the year ranked #3.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Ol Rock said:

I think one reason we missed the playoffs is because voters only see the final score and don't give credit for sportsmanship at the end of game.

1) We got roasted for the 5 point win over Vandy. Yes, we played badly but started kneeling the ball with the 1:06 remaining on the 35 yard line. A score would have led to a double digit win. Even a field goal might have helped.

2) After being tied up at 14, Alabama blew us out. However in the 4th, Mond led a scoring drive. The next drive, with over 5 min, was led by King. He threw an INT in the endzone. I loved this as a fan, but a little better score v Bama might have helped voters.

3) We ended the Miss St game on the 2 yd line with a 14 pt lead.

4) There were two, or maybe 3, games where we finished kneeling just outside of field goal range with a lead and time on the clock. (These might not have had much of an impact)

I personally like Jimbo's sportsmanship at the end of game, but, objectively, adding a late score at the end of some of these games might have helped us make the playoffs.

I don't agree with it, but sadly it appears to matter.

Don't forget Jimbo's mentor..... Bowden. For those old enough to remember, he realized that it's points that matter, so he started running the score up on everyone he could, and took a great deal of heat because of it. His philosophy was it's the opponents job to stop me, and if they can't it's my job to score !

Sure would like to see that attitude in Fisher; because ESPN, politics and all else aside, points matter and the more you get, the better you performed relative to your opponent. [think optics, NOT "sportsmanship"]

If our philosophy is to score on every possession, and we do our best to do that, it generally will eliminate worries in the last 4 (or 2) minutes, about late FGs, and OT.

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
SinKiller
TAMU74 said:

This idea that Fisher needs to run up the score is total nonsense.
WE are not a media darling or Blue blood, and probably never will be.
So running up a score makes no difference to those morons.

Yep, it's a silly premise...
jsmc71
AG
Jebber said:

Yep
Notre Dame got killed the day before the final but the committee said they are in bc A&M blah blah blah

That right there shows nothing mattered to them. Our resume had enough and they could have easily justified putting us above ND but they went out of their way the other way.

And the bowl season showed the truth.

Enjoy our great season. We controlled what we could..
I think this is pretty spot on. CFPC decided who they wanted in and then figured how to justify it on the back end.
Texas Rooster
The ONLY thing that hurt this season was losing to Alabama.
Ulrich
We hurt ourselves because we couldn't score on bad Vanderbilt and LSU teams and got walloped by Alabama. Garbage time touchdowns or lack thereof didn't have anything to do with it.

Not sure it would have mattered because at the end of the day the committee wanted Notre Dame and Ohio, but some things are more productive to address than others.
IceAg08
AG
Bookmarked for when Jimbo listens to this terrible advice and a starter gets injured when he didn't really need to be in the game
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.