Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Leaving points on the field for sportmanship hurt A&M

8,808 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by IceAg08
Ol Rock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think one reason we missed the playoffs is because voters only see the final score and don't give credit for sportsmanship at the end of game.

1) We got roasted for the 5 point win over Vandy. Yes, we played badly but started kneeling the ball with the 1:06 remaining on the 35 yard line. A score would have led to a double digit win. Even a field goal might have helped.

2) After being tied up at 14, Alabama blew us out. However in the 4th, Mond led a scoring drive. The next drive, with over 5 min, was led by King. He threw an INT in the endzone. I loved this as a fan, but a little better score v Bama might have helped voters.

3) We ended the Miss St game on the 2 yd line with a 14 pt lead.

4) There were two, or maybe 3, games where we finished kneeling just outside of field goal range with a lead and time on the clock. (These might not have had much of an impact)

I personally like Jimbo's sportsmanship at the end of game, but, objectively, adding a late score at the end of some of these games might have helped us make the playoffs.

I don't agree with it, but sadly it appears to matter.
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
I think the late garbage time scores given up to LSU & Arkansas were actually more costly than not tacking on field goals at the ends of games but I agree that it is unfortunate some pollsters only look at margin of victory.

I agree that pulling Mond in the 4th against Bama cost us. I was one of the few disappointed in that decision at the time. Mond was playing well at that point in time (TD on previous drive, and the previous 2 being 12 play long drives to the red zone. 52-31 changes the narrative quite a bit

Also- kneeling against Vandy was the right move. Never ever jeopardize a win in any way to run up the score. No way would I want to see us attempt a FG when we had the opportunity to run out the clock.... That's a termination worthy offense.
RecklessAg
AG
Agree
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
SunrayAg
AG
Would not have mattered.

ESPN got the matchups they wanted. We could have won 8 games by 4 td's each, and lost to Bama on a walk off field goal. And they still would have taken Norte dame and half season OSU.

The committee cares about ratings. That's it. Style points are just an excuse they use to prop up the teams they want.
Aggies2009
AG
SunrayAg said:

Would not have mattered.

ESPN got the matchups they wanted. We could have won 8 games by 4 td's each, and lost to Bama on a walk off field goal. And they still would have taken Norte dame and half season OSU.

The committee cares about ratings. That's it. Style points are just an excuse they use to prop up the teams they want.

This.
OrygunAg
AG
Interest in football has been waning, certainly outside Texas and the southeast. It probably is healthier for college football overall to at least dangle the championship carrot for as many of those those other conferences as possible. Expanding the playoffs certainly would help. Who knows, maybe another Clemson will emerge outside the SEC
Texas Rooster
Ridiculous!
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
We're right where we should be, and we're going to keep improving.
safety guy
AG
In the long term, king playing against bama at bama will pay off in the long term.
Agsuffering@bulaw
In hindsight, maybe. But look at it from jimbos pov.

Vandy- played like crap, needed to ensure victory. Playoffs not even an afterthought.

Bama- needed to get reps for King in case we needed him later. Playoffs still not an afterthought.

MSU- playoffs just an afterthought, no need to make enemies with the pirate. Also, no need to risk a turnover.
rgag12
AG
Nope, as soon as ND beat UNC the die was cast
allenb
It doesn't fit the game plan of ball control and clock control offense. It isn't flashy compared to many of the air raid offenses trying to score in less of than 1 minute like osu tried in the cfp. I think it may hurt in that it may not draw tv viewers.
West Point Aggie
AG
Let
It
Go OP
Ol Rock
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Let
It
Go OP

I'm not looking back I'm thinking forward. Will this change how Jimbo approaches games going forward? Other coaches?

I think, as I said, that Jimbo did it right. I agree with how he ended games. But if I were a coach I'd sure notice that the excuses used to keep us out of the playoff, in part, were due to sportsmanship on Jimbo's part and not running up the score. Especially Vandy.

We secured the victory and moved on. The talking heads used that to criticize later in the season.

I doubt we are the only ones who noticed. Similar issue with the BCS a few years back.
VatoLocoAggie
Jimbo is all class like Aggies always are.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
coupland boy
AG
VatoLocoAggie said:

I love the good guys too but when we scored that last minute touchdown against NC state with Cullen Gillaspia (a very cool TD I don't have any problem with) that could have been viewed as running it up by NC st. I think
LB12Diamond
AG
Yep
Notre Dame got killed the day before the final but the committee said they are in bc A&M blah blah blah

That right there shows nothing mattered to them. Our resume had enough and they could have easily justified putting us above ND but they went out of their way the other way.

And the bowl season showed the truth.

Enjoy our great season. We controlled what we could..
ghowe
AG
Not sure it's so much sportsmanship as more of the way the team is built, it's talents, strengths and identity. Late in the game Jimbo is not going to abandon that for tertiary purposes, nor should he. He didn't let up, he just stuck with his game plan.
halfastros81
AG
If that's the truth then the system sucks.

Now , had we played Alabama within ten, that would have helped a ton imo.
greg.w.h
AG
The selection committee is supposedly more sophisticated than that. The OP's argument suggests that the polls and the selection committee is all farce all the time. I agree.
TXAG 05
AG
The only way we had a shot at getting in was if ND beat Clemson in the ACC CG. Scoring a couple more TDs here and there wouldn't have changed that
HoustonAg2106
AG
The narrative against us would have been that we ran up the score in garbage time and that our games were closer than the score indicates. They are already doing that for our games against UNC and Auburn
infinity ag
I keep saying this, and have even opened threads on this before.

We need to complete shut-outs whenever possible.
We need to "run up" the score whenever possible.

The great teams like Alabama do it all the time. They give you no pity. They don't virtue-signal their sportsmanship. They just win. Not just games, but championships. While we are constantly waiting for someone to applaud us for our "class".

Do you think any of the people ranking us watch all our games? No. They just have a grad assistant give a score by looking at the final score and sign off if it makes sense. There is no such thing as "TD in garbage time".

Next year, have no mercy, because no one has mercy on us. They pushed us out of the Top 4, where was the "class"?
infinity ag
VatoLocoAggie said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAA
TyperWoods
SunrayAg said:

Would not have mattered.

Exactly
halfastros81
AG
I know the perception is that Notre Dame brings more eyes to the TV but I wonder if that's really true? Anyone else think that Incremental eyes from Texas and the rest of SEC country may have exceeded ND?
HoustonAg2106
AG
halfastros81 said:

I know the perception is that Notre Dame brings more eyes to the TV but I wonder if that's really true? Anyone else think that Incremental eyes from Texas and the rest of SEC country may have exceeded ND?
Not if it was Alabama vs A&M part two. Alabama/ND rated higher than Alabama/Ohio State actually. ND brings plenty of eye to the table, they are the definition of a national brand.
ironmanag
AG
Style points never mattered till this year.

No conference title game loser ever made it till this year.

No one loss SEC team was ever left out till this year.

It was rigged.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
HoustonAg2106
AG
ironmanag said:

Style points never mattered till this year.

No conference title game loser ever made it till this year.

No one loss SEC team was ever left out till this year.

It was rigged.
When ND beat TL-less Clemson in overtime the media already started the hype campaign saying that ND was a lock to make it even if they lost to Clemson in rematch. After that weekend the top 4 was set unless there was some crazy unpredictable upset. They knew what they wanted and they got it.
zephyr88
AG
Ol Rock said:

I think one reason we missed the playoffs is because voters only see the final score and don't give credit for sportsmanship at the end of game.

1) We got roasted for the 5 point win over Vandy. Yes, we played badly but started kneeling the ball with the 1:06 remaining on the 35 yard line. A score would have led to a double digit win. Even a field goal might have helped.

2) After being tied up at 14, Alabama blew us out. However in the 4th, Mond led a scoring drive. The next drive, with over 5 min, was led by King. He threw an INT in the endzone. I loved this as a fan, but a little better score v Bama might have helped voters.

3) We ended the Miss St game on the 2 yd line with a 14 pt lead.

4) There were two, or maybe 3, games where we finished kneeling just outside of field goal range with a lead and time on the clock. (These might not have had much of an impact)

I personally like Jimbo's sportsmanship at the end of game, but, objectively, adding a late score at the end of some of these games might have helped us make the playoffs.

I don't agree with it, but sadly it appears to matter.
I've said it eleventy-billion times... and I'll continue...

Unitil there's a real play-off system like they have in the FCS, "style points" matter. You've gotta cover the Vegas spread (and then some). You have to relentlessly crush your opponents whenever you can.

The people who vote on the college rankings can't possibly watch all of the games. All they do is open some sports app and check the score and have a quick glance at the stats.
ironmanag
AG
This is incorrect.

ND was 6-6 vs the spread. (Didn't matter)

Ohio state was 4-4 (Didn't matter)

A&M was 6-3 (Didn't matter)
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
zephyr88
AG
ironmanag said:

This is incorrect.

ND was 6-6 vs the spread. (Didn't matter)

Ohio state was 6-5 (Didn't matter)

A&M was 6-3 (Didn't matter)
How was Ohio State 6-5 against the spread?
They only played 8 games including 2 in the playoffs.

Ohio State was illegitimately ranked.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

Quote:

halfastros81 said:

Not if it was Alabama vs A&M part two. Alabama/ND rated higher than Alabama/Ohio State actually. ND brings plenty of eye to the table, they are the definition of a national brand.

Under the assumption that A&M got the 4th spot rather than Notre Dame I was under the impression that they try to avoid rematches in the semifinal game. That may not be a correct assumption. If it is the question is : Would the combination of A&M-Clemson and Ohio St- Alabama ( or A&M-Ohio St and Alabama-Clemson) in the semifinals have outdrawn Notre Dame- Alabama and Ohio St -Clemson?

Romello
Not playing and hopefully beating Ole Miss didn't help either.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.