Story Poster
Photo by Jasen Vinlove/USA Today Sports
Texas A&M Football

Record-setting A&M quarterback Kellen Mond will enter NFL Draft

January 7, 2021

Quarterback Kellen Mond, who set several Texas A&M passing career records, announced on Thursday morning that he will enter the NFL draft.

The senior from San Antonio had the option to return for another season because the NCAA isn’t counting the 2020 season against eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mond leaves A&M as the career leader in passing yards (9,661), passing touchdowns (71), completions (801), attempts (1,358) and total offense (11,340 yards).

This season he completed 188 of 297 passes for 2,282 yards and 19 touchdowns while also rushing for 294 yards and 4 touchdowns. He led the Aggies to a 9-1 finish in 2020 and what should be a final ranking in the top 5, possibly as high as 3. A&M was 31-13 in games started by Mond.

Originally committed to Baylor, Mond came to A&M as a four-star recruit from IMG Academy in 2017.

As a true freshman, he was thrust into the lineup when starter Nick Starkel was injured in the season-opening loss to UCLA. The Aggies were 5-3 that season with Mond starting, but he was replaced when Starkel returned from injury.

Jimbo Fisher was hired as A&M’s head coach following the 2017 season and ultimately chose Mond in the quarterback competition with Starkel.

Mond had solid campaigns in 2018 and 2019. The 2020 season was easily the best of his career. He completed a career-high 63.3 percent of his passes and threw a career-low 3 interceptions.

Mond appears to be a mid-round draft prospect, though in November CBS sports draft analyst Chris Trapasso projected the 6-foot-3, 217-pound Mond could go as high as the No. 18 pick in the first round.

Discussion from...

Record-setting A&M quarterback Kellen Mond will enter NFL Draft

16,767 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Triple-T
HossAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gig em Kellen
cheroczech
AG
This makes me happy.
oldcrow91
AG
cheroczech said:

This makes me happy.

The good old win-win-win
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Thanks for the wins and good luck !
Agsuffering@bulaw
I appreciate what he did on the field.
TAM85
Gig 'em Kellen.
Gilligan
AG
Good Luck Kellen!
SA68AG
AG
I wish him nothing but the best going forward. Gig'em, Kellen.
texag86
AG
Great news
swc93
AG
Good luck Kellen. Hope to see you playing on Sundays!
randy828
AG
Good luck Kellen.

Will be interesting to see what happens between King and Calzada and what happens after that battle. The Aggies seem to be on solid foundation to keep getting better! Good times!
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Loyalty
AG
Al the best to you Kellen.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Best news I've heard all day!
Matsui
AG
best of luck to him
AggieRinger
Jarrin' Jay
AG
It was great to see the GRADUATE on his jersey for the bowl game. Kellen has been a great QB and team leader (quiet team leader). I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Now, let the Haynes King era begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rrtodds
AG
Thank goodness and gig em!
alanbynum
AG
Best of Luck in your NFL career.
farwellrob
AG
The fact is that we needed Kellen Mond.

Despite how some of the armchair coaches on the TexAgs free boards saw him ... there is no doubt that Mond bailed us out in a special way.

Starkle getting injured sent Mond in as a true fish. After that first game he legitimately got better through that season.

The next year he didn't have a viable backup.

Last year and this year he won the QB battles to lead the team.

If he ever read what some of the posters say about him, he'd have transferred years ago, and we'd have never won an Orange Bowl, beaten LSU in 7 OTs, or any of the other special memories that have made these last 4 years so much fun.

Thank you, Kellen Mond, for being an Aggie.
Sponge
AG
I appreciate what he did off the field.
ontheway
AG
Thanks Kellen for being an Aggie and all your great play at QB. Best of luck in the NFL.
ontheway
Triple-T
AG
Thanks for the Memories, Mond!

Sending you much love and blessings for a great career and post-college lifetime.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.