Story Poster
Photo by John Reed-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Football

No. 5 Texas A&M finishes 31-20 win over Auburn in convincing fashion

December 5, 2020

Those needing to define “convincing”, reference Texas A&M’s 31-20 Southeastern Conference football victory over Auburn at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday.

A double-digit win on the road against a traditional SEC power should qualify as convincing to anyone qualified to judge it.

“Convincing” has been an oft-repeated adjective of late. A&M supporters and detractors have debated how many of A&M’s seven wins have been fit the definition.

“I'm glad we're winning. I'm glad we're playing well. We will keep moving on and will evaluate everything at the end of the year. I’m not worried about convincing.”
- A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher

Skeptics should’ve been convinced by the Aggies’ 11-point win over Auburn (5-4).

A&M (7-1) rolled up 509 yards of offense, averaged almost seven yards per rush and dominated the all-important fourth quarter.

That should convince any detractors. However, Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher isn’t convinced that it matters if everyone isn’t convinced.

“I'm glad we're winning,” Fisher said. “I'm glad we're playing well. We will keep moving on and will evaluate everything at the end of the year. I’m not worried about convincing.”

Alas, others that opine on college football and playoff-worthy teams do.

Word on the street — including words from Herbstreit — is that A&M’s 20-7 victory over LSU last week was not convincing, especially not for a team positioned fifth in the College Football Playoff rankings.

Those lobbying for Florida, Cincinnati or BYU to be ranked ahead of A&M might remain stubbornly unconvinced by the win over Auburn.

They’ll point to squandered opportunities and uncharacteristic defensive issues. Instead, they should focus on the fourth quarter … 15 minutes that often separate good teams from excellent ones.

On a cool, sunny day on the southeast Alabama plains, the Aggies demonstrated excellence when it was needed most.

John Reed/USA Today Sports
Wydermyer celebrates his second touchdown grab of the game.

Penalties, questionable play selection and missed tackles resulted in the Aggies entering the fourth quarter facing a 20-14 deficit.

But then the team that had sometimes stumbled only strutted. A&M outscored Auburn 17-0 in the final 15 minutes.

Quarterback Kellen Mond threw a touchdown pass and completed a deep pass to set up another touchdown. Kicker Seth Small drilled a clutch field goal. The defense, which allowed 319 yards in the first 45 minutes to play, limited the Tigers to just 21 yards in the final 15. Most of those came when A&M was playing back to protect the lead.

“You raise your game,” Fisher said of A&M’s fourth-quarter surge. “You’ve got to go higher. You’ve got to make plays. Your intensity goes up. Your urgency goes up. Your attention to detail goes up.”

Through three quarters, the Aggies’ blood pressure must have been up.

Mond had thrown a 10-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jalen Wydermyer and had scored on a 1-yard quarterback sneak. Still, they could have had much more than 14 points.

A 15-yard chop block penalty torpedoed a potential scoring drive. A curious decision to pass on third-and-goal from the 1-yard line resulted in a sack and an ensuing field goal attempt sailed wide left. Another drive stalled when Mond opted not to run for a first down and instead threw incomplete into coverage.

Meanwhile, the SEC’s top-rated defense was giving up yardage in chunks. Auburn quarterback Bo Nix shook out of an apparent sack by Bobby Brown and scrambled for a touchdown. Running back Tank Bigsby bounced off tackle attempts by Jeremiah Martin and Leon O’Neal to convert a key third down. Nix ran three yards for a touchdown on the next play.

On Auburn’s next series, Bigsby had a 42-yard run — the longest by an A&M opponent this season — to set up a 24-yard Anders Carlson field goal. That gave Auburn its 20-14 lead with 4:16 left in the third quarter.

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports
A&M’s defense struggled to contain Nix at times, but when it mattered most, the Aggies bottled up the sophomore QB.

Then, A&M dominated the fourth quarter.

"We looked each other eye-to-eye and looked at ourselves in the mirror,” senior linebacker Buddy Johnson said. “We knew we had to step up. I think in the fourth quarter we started to do that. We played as a team, and with that, just the grit we needed and finished.”

The offense was clicking, too.

Mond hit Wydermyer with a 20-yard touchdown pass that deflected off Auburn linebacker Zakoby McClain’s hands.

“I was wide open down the seam,” Wydermyer said. “I didn’t see the dude (McClain) until the ball got there. It went off his hands. I kept my eyes on the ball and secured it for a touchdown.”

On A&M’s next series, Mond passed 37 yards to Ainias Smith, down to the 4-yard line. Smith scored on the next play for a 28-20 lead.

Three Auburn plays later, A&M was back on offense with 6:41 remaining. Relying heavily on running back Isaiah Spiller — who rushed for 120 yards — the Aggies drained more than five minutes off the clock on a 12-play drive for a win-clinching 32-yard field goal by Small.

“I’m very proud of this football team,” Fisher said. “I think this is one of the hardest places to play. It was a big battle. It was an important game. We had to have a good performance.”

The Aggies’ performance was more than good. It was convincing.

Discussion from...

No. 5 Texas A&M finishes 31-20 win over Auburn in convincing fashion

12,956 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Z Team
RealMcCoy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to ESPN we "survived" with an 11 point win somehow.
Cranch69
AG
Yes "convincing" in that we beat the spread and defeated Auburn by the same score Florida beat a 2 win Tenn team until they missed the extra point conversion.
spaceman
AG
I'm not down on our team or anyone on it by any means, but let's be honest ... are we PLAYING like a top 5 team right now, much less 4? Had trouble with an unranked team, and last week the offense was a asleep against an even worse one. You'd like to blame it on COVID rust, but I note OSU didn't have that problem. So I can't blame anyone for doubting. We REALLY need to run up the score in outr last two games.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
merch
Have running game, will travel.

The way we run the ball and control games makes us really tough to beat.

Defensively we were a bit off today. Auburn isn't a trash team but we dominated fourth quarter, gave up 20 yards. 20 yards!

Clemson struggled today. ND struggled for decent portion of that game and got some very fortunate calls to build the lead they did.

This ATM team can beat teams 2, 3 and 4 for sure.
I am not sure anybody can beat BAma.
Shoefly!
AG
spaceman said:

I'm not down on our team or anyone on it by any means, but let's be honest ... are we PLAYING like a top 5 team right now, much less 4? Had trouble with an unranked team, and last week the offense was a asleep against an even worse one. You'd like to blame it on COVID rust, but I note OSU didn't have that problem. So I can't blame anyone for doubting. We REALLY need to run up the score in outr last two games.

By Gawd Syracuse is not even close to Auburn, Come On Man! Biden face.
Stone44
AG
spaceman said:

I don't think you get it. We're playing an all SEC schedule which is the best conference by far. There is no comparison between us and the big 12,pac 12,big 10.,etc. we will probably finish 9-1, which is incredible. Auburn would be fighting for a conference championship in any of the other conferences. I only wish osu played an entire SEC schedule and then look at their record. All the talking heads crying about how poor BYU deserved a higher ranking because they were stomping everyone they played. Well they finally played a team with a heartbeat and got beat. Coastal ran the ball down their throats. Who you play means everything.
BuckshotJ
Ags looked convincing to me!
rgag12
AG
spaceman said:

MSU is not even close to Auburn's talent level. They are more like South Carolina
Cojack
Where is Demas and why is he not playing??
jwk1986
AG
Quote:

ready for POST-Mond A&M football!!!

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/LongFormArticle/Texas-AM-football-preview-Zach-Calzada-backup-quarterback-146957478/#146957478_1
Z Team
AG
Playing tough physical teams also takes a tole on lineups as depth at positions is just as important. Playing less games and a bunch of patsies doesn't bring in this factor either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.