Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who will be our QB next year?

8,404 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dad
Randall Floyd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sure wish there was a clear replacement for Mond or had a great, top QB recruit waiting in the wings...

Will Calzada get the nod?
sportsfreak1975
I'll give you a hint. He had a passing TD against Carolina late in the 4th quarter and went to Longview H.S.
AggieOO
Mond
QB1
AG
Me, it's always me!!!
fightinag
AggieOO said:

Mond
no way....he'll declare for the NFL draft
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
zooguy96
IMHO, it'll be Haynes King. Good arm, great mobility to extend plays, seems to have the "it" factor, won a state championship.
SMG
AG
King.

And he will be a stud.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Martell got any years left?
RG20
Mark Farris
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Haynes King will be better than Mond by a lot.
halfastros81
AG
John Mazur never lived up to potential. Maybe he has eligibility left?

All signs point to King imo.
greg.w.h
AG
He was old the first time...was 25 when he started in every game in 2000...a spry 45 now! Shout out to then most prolific single-season Texas A&M passer in 2000.
Randall Floyd
I'll rephrase the question...

Any chance Stowers could start? Wondering why a stud, top 5 nationally ranked QB won't come here, considering.

If Calzada or King were that great, one would be starting over an anemic Mond now...
500,000ags
AG
Not going to lie, Kings' completion percentage in high school raises some red flags after Mond's accuracy issues.

These two guys are the opposite of Leach's credo that you can essentially teach everything but accuracy. Hopefully, if King does have accuracy issues, he can develop along the lines of Trevor Knight. Knight had his limitations, but he knew when to use his legs plus he could sneak in 1-3 accurate deep passes a game.
RG20
Loved Mark! Was it Dustin Long after him right?
Randall Floyd
Too bad we didn't have a clear, top true FR ready to go.

Neither Calzada nor King are all that great or they'd be starting now.

Next few years more of the same
greg.w.h
AG
Dustin and also Reggie McNeal took snaps after Farris was replaced by Long either during the Pitt game or the game after Pitt, yes!
Frank Grimes
AG
Jamiell Showers. As someone said pre-season 2012, Showers is golden.
aggiephoenix02
Farris beat Notre Dame my senior year...
CasualObserver44
AG
500,000ags said:

Not going to lie, Kings' completion percentage in high school raises some red flags after Mond's accuracy issues.

These two guys are the opposite of Leach's credo that you can essentially teach everything but accuracy. Hopefully, if King does have accuracy issues, he can develop along the lines of Trevor Knight. Knight had his limitations, but he knew when to use his legs plus he could sneak in 1-3 accurate deep passes a game.
His completion percentage his junior year was much better (69%). If I recall correctly Longview graduated their 3 best receivers and the next year all of the guys were new. A little like A&M this year.

Jarrin' Jay
AG
Randall Floyd said:

Sure wish there was a clear replacement for Mond

There is.

Quote:

...... had a great, top QB recruit waiting in the wings...

We do.

Quote:

Will Calzada get the nod?

No
Randall Floyd
Mediocre QB will equal a mediocre team. Calzada and King are so so, otherwise they'd beat out a so-so Mond.
Alpha Texan
AG
I like how Stowers looks. Any chance he gives King a run for his money?
CasualObserver44
AG
Randall Floyd said:

I'll rephrase the question...

Any chance Stowers could start? Wondering why a stud, top 5 nationally ranked QB won't come here, considering.

If Calzada or King were that great, one would be starting over an anemic Mond now...
This is ridiculous.

Haynes King is a true freshman who got his only offseason cut short by a pandemic. Very rarely do true freshmen beat out 4th year senior starters in a normal year, nevertheless this one. Bryce Young, the top ranked QB last year, didn't beat out Mac Jones. Spencer Rattler, the top ranked QB in 2019, didn't beat out Jalen Hurts. Justin Fields, one of the top 2 QB's in 2018, didn't beat out Jake Fromm. And Trevor Lawrence, who's been a hyped recruit since the 8th grade, didn't beat out Kelly Bryant until midway through the season.

Recruiting isn't always easy. Saying "I wonder why a top 5 QB won't come here" is missing the point. Which top 5 QB did we miss on this year? The top 5 are from Washington DC, Philadelphia, Washington state, Georgia, and Illinois. None of them have any connection to our school. We signed a top 10 QB in 2020 (Haynes King). The only guy from Texas higher than him is from Lake Travis in Austin. Sometimes those are the ones you miss. We're gonna be just fine.
Rule#2
AG
Wayyyyy too much logic applied here
It's your duty as an American to own a gun...and know how to use it.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Haynes King.
chickenfingers
AG
Demas will lead the team next year
TyperWoods
Mond. He'll be allsome after another offseason with Jimbo.
rsf0626
Feels like calzada will end up in the transfer portal
rsf0626
mjhhawk
Randall Floyd said:

Mediocre QB will equal a mediocre team. Calzada and King are so so, otherwise they'd beat out a so-so Mond.
So if I know my math principles correctly you are saying that since Mond is mediocre that our team is mediocre as well. Where you lose me is trying to calculate how being ranked 5th out of 130 is mediocre. I have concluded that according to you:

1-4 = good
5-126 = mediocre
127-130 = bad

Did I get it right?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Randall Floyd said:

Is there anything anyone can say on this message board to change your mind on this hot take, or is your mind made up on that one?

Count me as leaning towards Haynes King being the Game 1 starter in 2021.
dannyv
AG
Guys, the subsequent posts from the rook make this an obvious troll. He's not looking for answers.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Randall Floyd said:

You are an idiot. With the potential of Mond and how well Mond can play, see FL game, there is not a coach on the planet that replaces him with a true FR or true soph.
Jimbo4win
AG
Blumrick...He can throw a Nerf ball 100 yards!
AG
Randall Floyd said:

I'm not saying I'm gonna play next year, but if I do, it's gonna be on my terms.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.