Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

If Clemson beats ND by 14 or less, do we jump them?

2,420 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ashley
Randall Floyd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assuming we win out, Bama beats FL, OSU is eligible...

That game looks like our only path in unless OSU drops a game
mjhhawk
No. The narrative will be they were closer against Clemson than we were against Bama. Plus they will have beaten partial Clemson which will compare to Florida and UNC which will compare to Auburn. In that scenario we could have used a non-conference season so we would be beating 7-3 LSU and 7-3 Auburn, etc.... instead of teams devalued because they are .500.
WhataMaroon88
AG
It's not going to be by a certain point total... it's going to be the overall appearance of ND against a full strength Clemson. History says that the ACC champ game is basically a play in game and the loser is out.

However, with COVID affecting so many things, it's not out of the question that it ends up being 2 ACC and 2 SEC teams this year.

Our worst case scenario is still a 9-1 Florida beating a 10-0 Bama. If that happens, Florida and Bama are both guaranteed to be in, because Bama has looked so strong and we lost bad to them...
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Just throwing it out there but it isn't impossible for notre dame to beat Clemson again. In their first game the backup threw for approximately 450 yards and multiple touchdowns. I am not saying Lawrence would not have been better but if memory serves me correctly the issues Clemson has with notre dame is they could not stop notre dame offense. Not quarterback play. Clemson would and should be favored but I would not be shocked to see notre dame win again. Which would be good for the Ags assuming we win out.
knoxtom
We need either a Notre Dame win or Clemson to win by a bunch.

1 loss Notre Dame will be ranked higher than 1 loss A&M, unless they get absolutely killed.

2 loss Clemson will be behind us.

If the Clemson barely beats ND, both will be ranked higher afterwards
WhataMaroon88
AG
On that note, this is an interesting thought:

If Clemson beats ND, let's say, by a last second FG and Florida beats Bama, then obviously we are out. But, who gets the 4th spot at that point? ND? Bama?

What a mess.
EKUAg
AG
WhataMaroon88 said:

If Clemson beats ND, let's say, by a last second FG and Florida beats Bama, then obviously we are out. But, who gets the 4th spot at that point? ND? Bama?

What a mess.

Florida, Clemson, Bama, ND.
WhataMaroon88
AG
EKUAg said:

WhataMaroon88 said:

What a mess.

Florida, Clemson, Bama, ND.
Yeah I think so... would def push tOSU and A&M out.
Off_The_Wood
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Just throwing it out there but it isn't impossible for notre dame to beat Clemson again. In their first game the backup threw for approximately 450 yards and multiple touchdowns. I am not saying Lawrence would not have been better but if memory serves me correctly the issues Clemson has with notre dame is they could not stop notre dame offense. Not quarterback play. Clemson would and should be favored but I would not be shocked to see notre dame win again. Which would be good for the Ags assuming we win out.

I believe Clemson had 3 starters out on defense due to covid. Everyone focuses on Lawrence's absence, but the Clemson D at full strength will likely make more of an impact in the rematch
halfastros81
AG
The answer imo is no. A one
Loss Clemson gets in over one loss A & M, especially since the one loss was without their star QB. Had we played Bama closer then it's more arguable but we didn't.

It's a good point that Clemson was missing more than just Lawrence. Having said that they would have won with Lawrence.
merch
No really just about points, but game control so I believe original question is misleading.

Say Clemson is clearly better team and up 38-17 and ND gets garbage TD with under 2 minutes to play. If you look at score in the paper you might not think it was that bad but in reality, Clemson dominated.
Randall Floyd
March - Well stated...

That's really the question as a likely scenario is Clem beats ND by a TD or two...Say 34-27...If that happens, looks like from the responses that will keep us out.

The likely, almost only, path in is if ND beats Clemson, Bama over FL, we win out
merch
If happens the way I illustrated it, you cannot put ND ahead of ATM.

If it is close throughout and it is 14 point Clemson win that is really tough call but would tend to agree Committee would love ND in playoff.

ND has somewhat Johnny like QB...his improvisational skills can get him in trouble though. If he is off or risks don't pan out, Clemson could win big. If he plays ok, not likely ND gets blown out, but not likely they win either.
Alpha Texan
AG
I think we've got a good shot. Their win at home over ND kinda loses A LOT of credibility when Clemson wins by 14 at a neutral site with their QB back.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

1 loss Notre Dame will be ranked higher than 1 loss A&M, unless they get absolutely killed.

You can't say that with absolute certainty. No one really knows what the committee will do in that scenario: we think that's how it could play out but the committee just might consider that a play in game with the loser out
Aggie
AG
No
A&M is not jumping a 1 loss Notre Dame

If you think that's possible you have not followed college football very long

BigSneezy
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Yes it is. It's impossible. It was a two OT game without Lawrence. There's absolutely no way ND wins. You can wish, hope and pray. But it's not gonna happen.

But if it does, I will happily eat crow.
AvidAggie
AG
Aggie said:

No
A&M is not jumping a 1 loss Notre Dame

If you think that's possible you have not followed college football very long

If ND's loss is by 50 to Clemson then maybe
Aggie1188
Not unless we win the rest of our games by 25+ points. And even then would need ND losing by 25+.
GigEm81
AG
ND could in fact best Clemson again. Easy to blame the loss on Lawrence but his absence was not a factor.

What was a factor was Clemson's inability to run the football, to take care of the football and to stop ND's offense.

Clemson will be favored in the rematch due to neutral site and "return of Lawrence" but result is not forgone, in my view.
DGAG92
AG
ND must beat Clemson for that scenario to work out.
Class of 1992
InMyOpinion
Go Syracuse !!! The still play ND this weekend right?
Jimbo4win
AG
If we control Auburn, we could see an eventual final CFP ranking of Bama, Clemson, Texas A&M and Ohio St in that order. In other words the committee could already have us in the top 4 whereby it will be Ohio St the team that would benefit the most from a Clemson beat down of Notre Dame.
northeastag
AG
Maybe it's because I've been an Aggie for over 40 years now, but let's just take the one game at a time. Looking forward several games and assuming that they're all wins hasn't been too productive of an excercise in the past.
AggieDub14
AG
WhataMaroon88 said:

It's not going to be by a certain point total... it's going to be the overall appearance of ND against a full strength Clemson. History says that the ACC champ game is basically a play in game and the loser is out.

However, with COVID affecting so many things, it's not out of the question that it ends up being 2 ACC and 2 SEC teams this year.

Our worst case scenario is still a 9-1 Florida beating a 10-0 Bama. If that happens, Florida and Bama are both guaranteed to be in, because Bama has looked so strong and we lost bad to them...

The play in game argument is flawed. We've never had 2 teams with only 1 loss come out of a championship game. This will be a new data point.
zephyr88
AG
knoxtom said:

If the Clemson barely beats ND, both will be ranked higher afterwards
The worst thing that could happen, regardless who wins, is a close game.
Ian Neff
AG
I understand that anything can happen. I get it.

But people who think Florida can actually beat BAMA are seeing things that I don't.

The chances of ND winning against a Lawrenced Clemson are far better.

Y'all better brace yourselves. We have a really good chance at this.

Unless of course we lose to Auburn. Which is, according to some on this board, is a likely outcome.

I'm telling you if that happens......

Apocalypse - and not the good kind. Nothing short of an Internet Meggido.
BanderaAg956
Drinking creates all kinds of insane thoughts!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Jevertson
AG
Media and ncaa wants ND in. I think the playoff committee has historically done a good job blocking out a lot of that noise, but in this case, unless ND wins or they get boat raced (3 td or more), we aren't jumping.

I also read the big 10 is looking to change their rules so Ohio state gets in the big 10 championship game even if Michigan has too much COVID to play... so a 6-0 Ohio state fresh off a beat down of a ranked (but not very good) big 10 west team and name brand will likely keep them in top 4...

I think bama will beat Florida.

There are paths, but we need at least one event, each of which I consider unlikely, to occur. And unfortunately, I think our best chance is ND beating Clemson again with Trevor in the game, which I would not bet on...
BULL
AG
Clemson Tigers will SMOKE ND in rematch by at least 21! Mark it down.
ashley
There is no way we look like a no. 4 team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.